UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

TRU Tidbits.

minimadman

So I went to TRU today to look for new Minimates, while there I saw my friend that works there and I asked him to look in the back to see if they have the Marvel Wave 7 and/or Ghostbusters Wave 4. He said that they didn't but there would soon be a whole section devoted to just Minimates. He said that regardless of the license they would all be located on the same section. Then he dropped a bit on a bomb on me. Now before I put this out in the world allow me to clarify that he does not collect Minimates or any other type of action figures. He asked me if I had seen the new big Minimates. I then stated that there was no such thing and he was adamant that there was and he had seen them as part of some sort of internal TRU document. When I asked how big he picked up one of the McFarlane Odd Pods and said that it will be that big. Remember it is someone who is not familiar with the brand but he works at TRU and it is possible that he would know things that are to be sold at TRU but have not been announced yet. Could he be mistaken? Yes, but what if he isn't? Could DST be planning a larger scale Minimate? The way he described it is that it would be single packed like a collector's item. I guess if it is going to happen it will be announced at SDCC.

So kinda like a Mighty Mugg? That would be interesting, but hasn't the market fallen away for those types of figure? Regardless, could be a brave move for DST, backed by TRU.

Great news on the Minimates section though, should help people find what they need easier than searching lots of different aisles/shelves.

Could he have been mistaking Mez-Its for Minimates? They might look the same to a "lay person."

That's what I thought too so I kept asking if he was sure pointing out various vinyl type figures. He seemed very confident in what he was saying. It wouldn't be out of the question for DST to be saving something like this to announce at SDCC.

Hmmm this Minmate Section could be possible i mean my TRU usually puts the mates near the super hero squads so they may be selling since im pretty sure they're cheaper too. Although im not to covinced about the "bigger," minimates. It dosent seem to likely. But like said, SDCC has provided many announcements for these guys...

A dedicated minimate section is great as it should hopefully make the employees actually become familiar with what they are and more competent when answering questions about them.

As for big minimates, I sure hope not. I really like them like they are and don't want them to be like Mighty Muggs and I never really cared for the Minimates Max guys. The only way big minimates would be cool is if they made them the giant characters like Galactus, or a Sentinel etc but even then I don't think I could bring myself to be excited about it.

I would love for this to happen, but not only did Chuck make it clear that all minimates will be 2'' from now on, but I think something like this would have been shown at Toy Fair, not shown to TRU only.

They only show at TF what they are trying to get vendors to buy. Exclusives wouldn't be shown at TF if only TRU is selling them. But there are so many block figures in that size these days, it seems an easy mistake. I am really looking forward to the dedicated section.

I think the TRU section news is believable and going down very well. "Big mates" are harder to swallow. I worked at TRU. Admittedly a crappy one where no one cared, but no one I ever knew when I worked there EVER saw "new toys coming" news. Me and the other fanboys told everyone everything we learned from the internet at home. Even Barbies.

Me and the other fanboys told everyone everything we learned from the internet at home. Even Barbies.

You guys talked to Barbies at work? Was it practice, or for real?

I'm cautiously optimistic about the "big Minimate" scoop. Yeah, there is the possibility the guy may have just mistaken them for Muggs or Mez-Itz. But as someone who's dabbled in collecting Kidrobot's Munny line, if they are real then I certainly wouldn't be averse to them. Plus points if it still has full articulation :D

A full TRU section devoted to Minimates? I hope so! Maybe then there'll be better chances of them being well-known and popular enough to start showing up on our side of the Pacific!

hopefully there will be asection for the mates! my TRU seems to just put them where ever the hell they feel like. When I go looking I practically have to look down every isle for them. frustrating.

as for bigger mates, would be cool for some exclusives.....and on the other hand as a HUGE mugg collector, bring it on!!

The "Minimate Section" is realistic, especially with Halo 'mates around the corner.

These will bring so much more exposure to the line, provided DST provides variety and not just 56 different paint schemes for Master Chief.

Giant Mates, as much as I would love, just aren't going to happen. DST doesn't want to get into that game.

I saw these 9" vinyl blanks at The Disney Store last month, and at $40 they were crowding the shelves.

disneyblank.jpg

I considered snagging one to try and custom/frankenstein into a Minimate-style, but decided not to.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for bigger mates. I really don't understand why DST doesn't release a blank, unarticulated Minimate bank that customizers could use also (maybe sell it with the Minimates logo on it or something to justify it as a real product). I just don't forsee it happening or that the biggest breaking news on the Minimate front came from a TRU employee who admits they don't know much about the line. As to the bigger shelf space, if there's more product coming to TRU (HALO, vehicles, etc.) it would be inevitable that that happens.

As to the bigger shelf space, if there's more product coming to TRU (HALO, vehicles, etc.) it would be inevitable that that happens.

Don't forget the Universal Monsters are coming as well.

Dedicated shelf space for Minimates is great news - means the TRU sees the line as viable, and will likely keep ordering. And it may hint that they are interested in selling the Pirates line.

As for giant Minimates, as much as I would love to see these announced at San Diego, I just don't think it's going to happen. And if it does happen, I'm sure they're be preposed or solid and be absolutely worthless to customizers.

I saw these at TRU today. They are about the size of the Halo Pod figures and they look like Minimates. Could this be the mystery mates?

Yeah - My LCS has these for IM2. They were the first thing i thought about when i saw this thread. Hope i'm wrong though ;)

I saw these at TRU today. They are about the size of the Halo Pod figures and they look like Minimates. Could this be the mystery mates?

Yeah - My LCS has these for IM2. They were the first thing i thought about when i saw this thread. Hope i'm wrong though ;)

They've been out since like February. If anything, his TRU would have still had them on the floor; hell, mine has a full rack (and i always consider them for Nick Fury ;)). I doubt that's what he meant.

Could go for a designated Minimates Zone; then again, my TRU has them all literally on the same peg, so it won't be that different. <_< The big mates intrigue me and i hope that means Marvel finally saw the demand, requested them of DST, and Chuck had the sense to agree; i'd kill for an articulated Galactus, Sentinel, and Uatu. ;)