UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Need a little help from the UK.

minimadman

I know this is a little rediculous but the British Pub where I live is closing and I need a good recipe for Shepherds Pie. I could look one up online but I want one that I know is good. So if one of our British board members could oblige I would really appreciate it. Pm me please.

I know this is a little rediculous but the British Pub where I live is closing and I need a good recipe for Shepherds Pie. I could look one up online but I want one that I know is good. So if one of our British board members could oblige I would really appreciate it. Pm me please.

I'd say go ask them at the pub for the recipe, if they are closing they will probably be happy to share the recipe.

Failing that, the link below covers the basics and is 'about right', what I've found with a dish as common as this though is that everyone puts their own spin on it... Personally I like to grate a little cheese on top of the mash before it goes into the oven to give it a very thin crispy cheesy crust!

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/9644/nofuss-shepherds-pie

Give that one a whirl to get a feel for it then feel free to tweak it to your tastes from there.

T.

That recipe is very good but like Timbo says tweaking it is half the fun. The most important thing IMO is getting the mashed spuds right & the best way is to let the mash cool down a bit before shoving it on top of the meat .....the 'ruffling' of the mash with the fork cannot be over-emphasised.

It is quite amazing that few British people realise (until they think about it) what the difference is between 'shepherd's' & 'cottage' pie . Both of these are extremely popular & are made in exactly the same way but one uses lamb & one uses beef.

-Chef Butt.

PS Despite the well-publicised problems with 'foot & mouth' & BSE in the past, British beef & lamb is generally considered throughout Europe as the best & certainly the safest to eat . I'm almost obliged to say that considering where I live but it happens to be true.