UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Target Giant-Size X-men Minimates

highassroller

I can't believe the thousands I spent collecting minimates.

Now, THAT'S funny! Thanks for the best belly laugh I've had all week!

While I agree that it's unlikely HAR has spent 'thousands' on 'mates, it is possible to have done so.

Someone here recently said they have approximately 1100 minimates (IIRC - it may have been 1011?) in their collection. Let's assume that individual purchased them all in 2 packs at a fair retail price of 6.99 each. 550 two packs = $3844.50.

Even if you have 300 mates (thats 150 2 packs), using the same above formula, the total spent would be $1048.50. That's not counting purchasing any blanks, gold/silver exclusives or prototypes.

Depending on the collection, it's very easy to be talking about that amount of $$ spent.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure our resident 'minimate warehouse' JL will have something to say on the subject...

I'd also like to point out a lot of guys (myself included) often buy whole cases of each wave... there's $80 per wave on just marvel..

As Reideen says ( look we're agreeing on something! :D ) a thousand is not a diffcult figure to reach.

T.

Yep it's quite easy, I think I would have bought a new car by now. :P Actually waiting for a particular model.

Yeah just with my preorders of all the DC waves and Marvel, I was half way there.

I can usually find a good deal and have some freinds that really help out along the way. Even with their help, $1000 is rather easily attainable. Just don't think about it or you will shoot yourself in the foot. :P You can probably do that in a year we have con exclusives, 4 waves of regular releases, and mass market packs.

I think HAR has spent thousands. Wasn't he winning most of the bids on MINI-MYTE's customs? His customs average $40 - $50 a pop on Ebay.

And look at Ady's collection. He's spent a grand on Super-Skrulls alone.

I'm in for five minimum, if I count the money spent on the website, Illustrator, paints, air compressor for airbrush and rares like Santa Spidey and the 2003 blanks. And I don't even have a gold or silver Spidey.

For the record. I have spent THOUSANDS on minimates. Not hundreds thousands. Think for a moment...

I have over 10 of Minimytes customs - range from $40-$100 EACH

I have 5 Giant Size boxes - range from $40.00-60.00 EACH

I have all the Marvel/DC variants and rare

I have all Marvel and DC minimates period.

I have all Bruce Lee Minimates - range $20.00-25.00 Each

I have multiple series sets for custom fodder.

I have all LOTR minmates period.

I also both multiples (3x or more): Indie Mates, Star Trek Mates, Dark tide, Ultimate Avengers

I am the High Ass Roller, folks.

As for the chinese bootlegs, I am going to China Oct. 20th. Last time all we saw were street fighter ones, but I will do some checking on the black market, and post pics. If I can get a bag of Martian Manhunters, please understand I will still be charging $20.00 each as they are identical to the original. They don't have wierd paint apps or wierd dates on their legs. This leads me to believe they are made from stolen or rplica master molds.

You know, Its not often I say this, but comments like that annoy me

"I've spent so much, wooo, look at me"

Just beacuse you threw rediculous amounts of money at customs, and paid over the odds for GSXM box sets doesnt make you better than anyone else. In fact quite the opposite.

Ady you sound so bitter. It's called a joke.

I bet you my collection of mates is as large as yours (minus your super skulls), but I probably paid twice as much. I'm not happy at how much I spent either, thus my hiatus from collecting minimates in general. Especially since there is no incentive for paying high prices if you just collect loose minimates, which I do.

The only thing that makes me better than anyone, is my mastery of paint applications on my customs. j/k

For the record. I have spent THOUSANDS on minimates. Not hundreds thousands. Think for a moment...

I have over 10 of Minimytes customs - range from $40-$100 EACH

I have 5 Giant Size boxes - range from $40.00-60.00 EACH

I have all the Marvel/DC variants and rare

I have all Marvel and DC minimates period.

I have all Bruce Lee Minimates - range $20.00-25.00 Each

I have multiple series sets for custom fodder.

I have all LOTR minmates period.

I also both multiples (3x or more): Indie Mates, Star Trek Mates, Dark tide, Ultimate Avengers

Sorry for doubting you. Sounds like you have a fine collection. Post pics sometime, ok?

As for the chinese bootlegs, I am going to China Oct. 20th. Last time all we saw were street fighter ones, but I will do some checking on the black market, and post pics. If I can get a bag of Martian Manhunters, please understand I will still be charging $20.00 each as they are identical to the original. They don't have wierd paint apps or wierd dates on their legs. This leads me to believe they are made from stolen or rplica master molds.

If they're $1.00 each, as you indicated in an earlier post, why would you turn around and sell them to fellow members for $20.00? Or, are you talking about a bag of them for $20, which is what the FCBD blanks cost - because if that's the case, I'd be willing to buy a bag for $20. If not, then you are walking a thin line between collector and scalper. I'd suggest treading carefully.

I bet you my collection of mates is as large as yours (minus your super skulls), but I probably paid twice as much. I'm not happy at how much I spent either, thus my hiatus from collecting minimates in general. Especially since there is no incentive for paying high prices if you just collect loose minimates, which I do.

The only thing that makes me better than anyone, is my mastery of paint applications on my customs. j/k

Im not bitter, but it seems to me that you're pretty much in this for the money.

The whole reason this thread was here was that you were upset that your 5/6 GSXM sets were now devalued.. but if you collect loose minimates thats not a problem really is it?

Guess the moral of the story is that a patient collector is a prudent collector..

Call me intrigued, HAR. Are you traveling to China just for the bootleg Minimates, or do you have other business? If you are going just to get your hands on bootlegs then I am oddly impressed. If you are traveling from the U.S., I hardly see the cost justifying the trip unless you just want bootlegs for bootlegs sake.

Can I ask why you spend so much on Minimates and customs? Do you collect other toys or are you just a Minima-niac?

Also, just wondering were and how in China you found bootleg Minimates when most of us can't seem to find the regular stuff in the West. Are you sure they are bootlegs and not Minimates made for the Asian market?

If Minimates are really getting bootlegged, this seems to me a sign they hit the big time. I know Star Wars stuff has been bootlegged, but I'm not aware of any other figures bootlegged on a mass scale.

I'm definitely interested in pics.

That'd be great, although it seems you're more in it for the money. I don't care, long as I can get a Manhunter, maybe a Flash.

If Minimates are really getting bootlegged, this seems to me a sign they hit the big time. I know Star Wars stuff has been bootlegged, but I'm not aware of any other figures bootlegged on a mass scale.

I'm definitely interested in pics.

Not necessarily 'the big time' just an easy target perhaps.

Kubricks are bootlegged. Hasbro stuff - GI Joe, SW, Transformers, etc are all bootlegged (Batman was a target here while Hasbro held the license). ToyBiz stuff both past and present is bootlegged (Spiderman is the most frequent target). Mattel stuff is bootlegged (usually Batman related here also). Pokemon was a big target in years past - tons of bootleg stuff in that niche group. Gundam is another huge area for bootlegs.

There used to be a couple of excellent sites devoted to bootlegs, unfortunately, The Island of Bootleg Toys just disappeared one day. Undiscovered Playthings was shut down, essentially by Nintendo. They felt the owner of the site was promoting the sale of bootleg toys by having the website up and running. He pulled the Nintendo/Pokemon related stuff, but since the site isn't around anymore, I have to assume either Nintendo or someone else continued to pressure the owner until he took it completely down.

There are still some sites to be found, like this one for example, but they're nowhere close to either Island or Undiscovered.

Unless you're trying to fund your trip with the $19 mark up on Martian Manhunters, then it sounds like you are in it for the money.

Personally, I have no complaint with them rereleasing old sets like the GSXM in 2-packs. It makes for easier custom fodder for one thing. And since I'm the type who opens their mates, I'm not looking at my mates to go up or down in value. Besides, they aren't straight rereleases. They have the updated feet, body, and copyright.

Not necessarily 'the big time' just an easy target perhaps.

Kubricks are bootlegged. Hasbro stuff - GI Joe, SW, Transformers, etc are all bootlegged (Batman was a target here while Hasbro held the license). ToyBiz stuff both past and present is bootlegged (Spiderman is the most frequent target). Mattel stuff is bootlegged (usually Batman related here also). Pokemon was a big target in years past - tons of bootleg stuff in that niche group. Gundam is another huge area for bootlegs.

There used to be a couple of excellent sites devoted to bootlegs, unfortunately, The Island of Bootleg Toys just disappeared one day. Undiscovered Playthings was shut down, essentially by Nintendo. They felt the owner of the site was promoting the sale of bootleg toys by having the website up and running. He pulled the Nintendo/Pokemon related stuff, but since the site isn't around anymore, I have to assume either Nintendo or someone else continued to pressure the owner until he took it completely down.

There are still some sites to be found, like this one for example, but they're nowhere close to either Island or Undiscovered.

Interesting stuff Reideen. I'm too new to toy collecting so I guess I never realized this was so widespread in other lines.

I wonder if any of the Minimates delays this year have had anything to do with bootlegging problems.

Anyone else think it's strange that there may not be enough demand in the market for Street Fighter Wave 2, but there is enough to spur bootleg Wave 1? I mean, let's assume pirates made the molds and started casting bootlegs with the same plastic. They would also have to tampo the paint onto the small parts. They would only do all of this if it was profitable enough to cover costs. But it would be a huge investment in capital and labor before any cash is generated. Makes you wonder how much of the licensing costs eat into the making Minimates. And at that point, why not just buy them from AA at close to cost? I mean if a market exists in Asia ... Then again, the Asian market may not support licensing royalties. Just the cost of manufacturing the toys. Interesting things to think about ...

Damn, MManhunters are worth $20?!?!?!?! Wow. Mini Javelins $200?!?!?!?! Wow. I could retire.....

$1000 really doesn't seem like an unreasonable amount. I'd say I have easily that into my mates collection. Now, no one take offense to that, I am NOT bragging as much as commiserating. Because I have spent that much to get it does not mean it is WORTH that much. We all need to realize that, HAR especially. Your GSXM's are still cool and all, but rereleasing them will not knock more than $10-15 off your bottom line, tops. You still have the cool box with yours. I'd say if you are that worried, get 'em sold on Ebay as quick as you can. My ML Golitah dropped in overall value by about 1/2 when they rereleased it, but such is, ya know? I still sold it for $40 and bought alot more toys in return. OOOOoooo wait, does that make me a scalper? Can a toy collector really be such a dreaded thing? If you profiteer on something you work hard to find, to be able to buy more of what you buy, where is the problem? That doesn't make me a stinky Hot Wheels guy does it? (you all know what I mean) If HAR wants to try to sell a bag of MM's for $20 a pop, more power to him if he can. If people pay $20 for one, atleast they got a chance to buy one. How many here never even got a chance? Just my 2 bits to this whole Scapler/Collection Value/I'm better arguement (which is what it is).

My Bit-Char-G collection however kicks all your'all's asses. :lol:

Thanks J,

To Other Haters:

I am insulted to say the least. How can anyone question my fan status or love of minimates? I painstakingly spend days making customs. I collected everything, and for my collection I opened them all. I bought like 4 extra Blade & Punisher packs just for the guns. I buy multiples so I can have an Xavier with mask and without on display simultaniously.

As for the trip to China, I am Chinese and I have relatives who still live there. The cost of travel, pain in getting suitcases through customs (Heavy), and the danger of the free market is reason for the mark up. Plus I know that I would pay $20.00 for a M. Manhunter if I didn't have one. It's common sense, buy toys for low price, sell for profit, buy more toys for low price. Don't condemn me for something alot of people do for a living.

I'm a toy fan/collector and seller in my free time. Yes, you can be both. Art asylum wishes all their fans were spending and collecting like myself.

I buy alot of toys, I have lot of Max Factory Guyver Japanese figures, Justice League Unlimited, Minimates, and Dragon Ball Z figures. I also collect alittle legos, Starwars, X-men, Marvel Select.

But when toy lines start pumping out repetative crap, and insult their customers (No Thor). I go hiatus on my collecting.

Still no X-Men minimates in the Rocky Mount Target (still no minimates period in G-ville), but I've deprived them of half their stock of old minimates. I've scored 4 Blade/Punisher 2-packs and 2 Sue/Thing 2-packs. I'll be going back to finish off their old stock of 3 Reed/Torch 2-packs, 2 more Sue/Thing 2-packs, and a Spidey/Wolvie 2-pack. If they've got any stock in the back, it should be rolling out soon, and maybe I'll see something a bit more Giant Sized.

I am insulted to say the least. How can anyone question my fan status or love of minimates?

We're questioning your fan status & love of 'mates because of the statements you've made, which make you sound like you're in it for the investment, more than the product itself. If you re-read your posts, I'm sure you could see how some people could take it as such. Of course, subtle things like inflection and facial features - raising an eyebrow, smiling, etc - don't show up on message board posts, so it's possible people misunderstood your post and thought you were completely serious.

As for the trip to China, I am Chinese and I have relatives who still live there.

Sounds cool. I've always wanted to visit China.

The cost of travel, pain in getting suitcases through customs (Heavy), and the danger of the free market is reason for the mark up. Plus I know that I would pay $20.00 for a M. Manhunter if I didn't have one.

Since you're the seller, that is your option. You can set any price you want. I just think you'd do much better selling them at a more reasonable price - say $7 - $10. A $6 - $9 markup is much easier to take than $19.00 IMO.

It's common sense, buy toys for low price, sell for profit, buy more toys for low price. Don't condemn me for something alot of people do for a living.

Correct - business is built on that concept. Again, a statement like the above makes me think you're only in this for a profit - not for the product or fun of being a collector.

I'm a toy fan/collector and seller in my free time. Yes, you can be both.

You can, but usually not with much success when on a forum such as this one, trying to make a profit on the people posting here. People will remember you either as a great forum member who hooked them up with a 'mate that was fairly rare, for a reasonable price, OR they'll remember you as a scalper who tried to take advantage of them. Your choice.

Art asylum wishes all their fans were spending and collecting like myself.

No. They don't. They're glad you're a fan and buy their product - that's where their interest in you ends. How you acquire the product and how much you pay for the product is irrellevant to them. They couldn't care less how much you pay for a custom. They couldn't care less how much you pay for variants or chases on Ebay. All they see is the inital sale anything beyond that isn't something they're concerned with. If you think otherwise, you're even more clueless than I initially thought you were.

Y'know, the more posts I read of yours, the more I'm reminded of someone from the old forum going by the name Donald Trump. That wouldn't be you, would it?

I had no idea that a mini javelin was worth $200.00. Damn it makes me feel lucky and kinda kool that i managed to get one way back when at cornerstorecomics for $15. I thank my wonderful G/F for that. :D

Just to put my two cents in....

In this whole case of re-issueing figures, sure....if you put a value on these things, of course your going to think that they are being lessened in value. But for someone like me, who just collects these for the fun of it, it is a chance to pick up some characters that we may have missed along the way and spare ourselves the time and money on trying to find the originals on Ebay. I for one have a full time job, but all of my money goes towards my bills and expenses and when everything is all said and done for the month, I have maybe $10-$20 to spare, so it would be nice to find some figures that I missed at a reasonable price.

Luckily, I was able to find the Giant Sized set at a local toy show for a decent price, but I would certainly like to be able to find some more of these figures to use in my customs.

So do these new re-issues devalue some sets....sure.....only if you put a monitary value to them.

Just my thoughts folks.....