UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Target Giant-Size X-men Minimates

highassroller

It's bad enough that you can go to China and buy bags of minimates already for about $1.00 each.

This is crap! When you re-release rare, or limited runs, you cause the collector value of minimates to drop. 15.00 - 20.00 for a Nightcrawler was because it was rare/exclusive . Do you really feel that your collection is worth anything, if rares/exclusives are mass reproduced for retail stores?

Don't see my point? Happy to have them complete your collection or for custom fodder?

When they re-release a black spiderman, than maybe the sudden realization will kick in. They need to vary the figures slightly to distinguish them from the first releases.

Hopefully when the DC direct mates come out, I become a fan again. I can't believe the thousands I spent collecting minimates. Regardless, I officially quit collecting minimates as of today.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No.

GSXM was a Diamond Exclusive, and always up for re-release, heck GSXM Wolvie was in TRU 4 Packs years ago.

The only mates they will never re-release are the speciality chases, they've always said that, and anyone whom was planning to retire on a GSXM needs their head looking at.

As has been said before, chase figures, like Symbiote Spider-Man won't be rereleased. Nightcrawler was rare but wasn't technically a chase. And there are slight differences in the new Target 2-pack figs (paint apps, C3 feet) not to mention the blue suit variant Professor X but yeah, they are identical at first glance.

*edit* Damn, you're fast Ady!

Quick question, different paint apps? You mean the shades of color are different? or the colors entirely are different?

The colors are the same but these are a new run of figures made in a new factory which means they will be slightly different than the originals. And the base figure color might also have been different, although I'm not sure about that.

I can see where you're coming from though, highassroller. Some of the variant choices have been interesting in the original waves, such as symbiote Spidey and Spider-Woman II. Regardless of how you tweak those figures for any sort of rerelease, it'll still rob from the original release. Take that box art for a potential Black Spidey with grab line. Buying two of those in a wide-spread rerelease would net you the parts you would need to make the original, thus making the money for the original ill-spent (unless you're a completist). And any fresh take on Spider-Woman II (Arachne) would just make the original look weak, what with the massive part reuse for her.

But, so long as all six members of the Giant-Sized X-Men are not rereleased, then there's still a sense of specialness to the original release.

It's been very well documented that figures that are defined as chase by DST wont be re-released

I think the confusion here is that everyone see's the GSXM box is a chase set, it's not...even if it isn't easy to find.

It wasn't planned that way and was simply a run to see how well larger boxed sets went over.

Chuck has said at least once that the characters ( except for that Indian Bloke) were up for grabs if they wanted to rerelease them.

It's a totally different ballgame to 'black spidey' which has always been billed as a chase that will not be re-released.

I'm kinda glad that they gave Target some cool re-releases and not just 10&11 especially with the variant suited prof X.

T.

SPeaking of fakes they get everywhere, I just picked up a pack with prof X in it but it must be a fake.... he's got a blue suit on :P

T.

Ya TBT. You got screwed. Let me take him off your hands for you. I'll send a Thing to you in exchange.

Seriously, have they appeared in the SD area? None to be found in LA yet. I've hit six Targets this week.

SPeaking of fakes they get everywhere, I just picked up a pack with prof X in it but it must be a fake.... he's got a blue suit on :P

T.

Ya TBT. You got screwed. Let me take him off your hands for you. I'll send a Thing to you in exchange.

Seriously, have they appeared in the SD area? None to be found in LA yet. I've hit six Targets this week.

Yep, I got a tipoff yesterday... It seems that only certain stores have them though, I looked in about 4 and the one I missed had them... go figure!

T.

It's bad enough that you can go to China and buy bags of minimates already for about $1.00 each.

I would love to see some pics of bootleg Minimates and better yet, I'd love to get some! I remember picking up some Bootleg Ninja Turtle stuff from eBay years ago - they're priceless! And by priceless I mean in entertainment value...

Does anyone have some bootlegs? HAS? Anyone else here see bags of bootleg Minimates in their travels through Asia? Post the pics!

What I fail to understand is "why has it devalued the original"? Are you all planning to retire on your collections? Who cares?! The "originals" will always be originals based on their production-date and the unique box. It's been done with Rhino, Grey Hulk, etc. before; this is nothing new. The only real complaint that I can find is that it is temporarily delaying the release of new figures(for those up-to-date with their collections); I'm so tired of seeing the same stuff. But honestly, if re-releases are what it takes to keep them in business, then so be it. I'd personally like to see some new face-app.s too (for variety, NOT to ensure the "exclusivity" of my originals...I open mine!), but this is very cost-prohibitive as tampo-molds are not cheap to produce. For those who may have been late-in-the-game and paid too much to acquire their box-sets, I am truly sorry. But patience has always been the name-of-the-game when it comes to collecting anything.

I am glad they are at target. The main reason is because they are opening minimates up to a wider group of people. I know My comic book store sells out of newly released minimates (when there are any) with in the first month, if not week, and this is Tucson AZ! Nothing is cooler then seeing kids playing with minimates the way we used to play GI-Joes and star wars.

I am glad they are at target. The main reason is because they are opening minimates up to a wider group of people. I know My comic book store sells out of newly released minimates (when there are any) with in the first month, if not week, and this is Tucson AZ! Nothing is cooler then seeing kids playing with minimates the way we used to play GI-Joes and star wars.

Not if they are your little brothers! Casualty list:

Batman

Catwoman

Wolverine

Spider-Man x2

Green Goblin

All four Darktide

None were mine, but still. And that Catwoman is from before I really got into minimates. That sucks, I wish I still had it!