UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Who Deserves an Update?

MINI_MYTE

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Given how much Marvel is pimping out the new Hank Pym Wasp outfit, I'd switch that around to make him the regular release and Janet the variant.

Luke Cage - The 70's one was nice (but limited) - the New Avengers one is terrible. Desperately needs an update.

Iron Fist - See above RE: Luke Cage. Could use an update and a Randall variant.

Elektra - I hate to think of Minimates as "sexy" but they have gotten more attractive over the years and Elektra always was supposed to be a total hottie.

Invisible Woman - Needs a ponytail version that doesn't make her look like a 50's throwback.

Professor X - Hoverchair anyone?

Nick Fury - He's back in the game but his Minimate is nowhere to be found.

Is this a hint of things to come Matt?

For me it's like hearing a cover version of my favourite song or watching a remake of my favourite movie..... you rarely want to like it even though you do. Recently we've had attempts at 'better' Black Spidey,Iceman & Black Spider-Woman ......is it me or are they all ....inferior? Inferior is too strong perhaps but they are definitely not superior to what we have had before.

Wolverine has never been my favourite character & I'm not well-versed as to what would be the definitive version but I do read these boards & despite the heap of Wolverines we've got.... nobody seems to say 'that's the one' . Just to push my opinion .....there isn't a single Wolverine that sticks it's head above the parapet & 'gets the big money' on ebay or anywhere else....why???

Update ? We just need a definitive version .

Edited by buttheadsmate

Actually BHM I think Wave 28 Wolverine nailed it. No more are needed, that's now the definitive one.

Thank God :D

edit: Ivan uniquely(?) shows the 'definitive' Wave 28 Wolvy & the TRU version separately. I have banged on forever about the TRU 'differences' but this one makes the grade.....why? Not a specific question for Ivan (coz he'll know) but why do you think he thinks it :huh:

What's the difference?

Edited by buttheadsmate

On the 3" scale thing, I'm totally for it, but hasn't Chuck (or someone) said it's not just a Marvel license restriction, but that DST specifically doesn't want to do Marvel 'mates in that scale? It was my understanding that the 3" DC 'mates were direction from DCD as a customer, not DST's decision.

It's a shame, because all of the workarounds like duck feet, waist boosters and powerhouse chests just look goofy compared to a physically bigger figure.

Call me pedantic but I've seen a lot of posts lately that mention 3" DC mates... they were 2.5" not 3" !

And yes Chuck has said that both Marvel stipulate they cant do it BUT DST also is very set on the one scale lots of licenses thing with minimates.

T.

For me it's like hearing a cover version of my favourite song or watching a remake of my favourite movie..... you rarely want to like it even though you do. Recently we've had attempts at 'better' Black Spidey,Iceman & Black Spider-Woman ......is it me or are they all ....inferior? Inferior is too strong perhaps but they are definitely not superior to what we have had before.

Wolverine has never been my favourite character & I'm not well-versed as to what would be the definitive version but I do read these boards & despite the heap of Wolverines we've got.... nobody seems to say 'that's the one' . Just to push my opinion .....there isn't a single Wolverine that sticks it's head above the parapet & 'gets the big money' on ebay or anywhere else....why???

I think the X-Factor Iceman is the best yet, and personally think the updated Spiderwoman really dates the older version. But somehow, I still like wave 5 Cap the best, so there is subjective taste for you. As for black Spidey, I agree, but most of it has to do with the mask. I've posted this elsewhere, but if you stick the slip mask that comes with the Secret Wars set over "Back in Black" Spidey's head, you get yourself a pretty spiffy looking Spidey. I'm not saying I like him more than the wave 2 variant, but I do really like him.

As to Wolverine, we haven't gotten the updated, regular brown and yellow/burnt orange version yet. Once that comes, my prediction--most popular Minimate of all times! Or at least in the top 100 or so.

Edited by karamazov80

Actually BHM I think Wave 28 Wolverine nailed it. No more are needed, that's now the definitive one.

Thank God :D

edit: Ivan uniquely(?) shows the 'definitive' Wave 28 Wolvy & the TRU version separately. I have banged on forever about the TRU 'differences' but this one makes the grade.....why? Not a specific question for Ivan (coz he'll know) but why do you think he thinks it :huh:

What's the difference?

Since nobody else has answered, I might as well. :)

First you have to take Wolverine out to a nice dinner and a movie. Later, you head back to his place for drinks. All the while you're complimenting his masculine sideburns and no-nonsense attitude. Then, as the night wears on and you're whispering sweet nothings in his ear, you take his belt off.

There you'll find different colors underneath. Wave 28 is red while TRU version is left quite blue.

It's a distinct enough variation in my mind.

The boys had a few snow days, so we just this week spent an afternoon playing with our entire Marvel collection in the living room floor. (and had as many parts when we packed up as when we started, always a plus) So after sending some quality time with them, I have a few more on my I would mind seeing, but not clamoring for a redo list:

Vision. I like the figure overall, but I'd preferred it either all phased, or not at all. Okay, I'd really like it not phased at all, thanks. Know what you were going for and it works better than with Kitty, but I'd rather a plain old Vision. ... Okay, what's I'd rather is a three pack with one normal non-phased Vision, one completely phased Vision, and one Super Dense Vision as depicted by Perez. (GP always had Viz colored with darker shades of yellow and green, and drew heavier shadows around his face and eyes when he was at his heaviest density and I still think it looked cool) But I complete understand how unprofitable that would be for DST to make a three pack to please one guy.

Iceman. Yeah, I know, we just got two of him. But I'm looking for a regular no snow, no X chest Iceman who doest look badly constipated. (the evil aspect of his powers we never knew) The old one, be he clear, frosted, or blue, looks angrier than I ever, ever remember seeing Bobby.

As Caracal said, Super Skrull is in need of a makeover. He just seems... less than the standard Skrull army builders. Apparently the big crotch matters more than the powered up hands after all.

Classic Thor. Thor wins the A for Effort award. Individually the new parts made for him look great. But somehow, the mate always looks like Kid-Thor wearing his daddy's clothes. The wave 33 Thor looks to have solved some of those issues, but a redo of classic Thor would be very welcome. Ye Verily.

We need another Jan-Wasp figure just so we can have more Wasp costumes.

These are all figures I'd like to see more of.

I've found that putting Loki's arms/legs on Vision makes as passable a version of classic Viz as can be made. That said, getting one where we didn't have to swap parts would be perfecto! I remember the super-dense depictions in the comics too and think that'd make for an interesting version. So would the all white one, though I've always liked the green/yellow better.

More costumes for Wasp would be really cool, too. I keep hoping we'll get her in the yellow/orange that she wore during the issues leading up to the Kree-Skrull war.

I kind of hope they'll do a Super Skrull again, or maybe a boxed set of a Super Skrull, Kree fellow, and two other army builders. The Skrull would be advertised as Kl'rt but could have parts removed to make a regular Skrull too.

Concerning Iceman, the best I've come up with is all the parts from the original X-Men boxed set with the feet and head of the X-Factor boxed set version.

As for Thor, I agree to an extent with what you've said, but long found that putting a Cap face from the Nick Fury two-pack on was 1,000% better than the squinched up face that came on Thor originally.

Edited by Mystery Man

J Jonah Jameson, the slip on mask is awkward.

How on earth did we get this character in the first place? Technically we got the 'Chameleon in his JJJ guise' & how AA had the audacity to pull that one off as a 'variant' is incredible .....but clever :D In three years of talking drivel I don't ever remember anyone even mentioning the 'Chameleon'...anywhere ....why would they ? I am actually starting to think that he might be ....er..um..rare ;) He may well be !

Edited by buttheadsmate

How on earth did we get this character in the first place? Technically we got the 'Chameleon in his JJJ guise' & how AA had the audacity to pull that one off as a 'variant' is incredible .....but clever :D In three years of talking drivel I don't ever remember anyone even mentioning the 'Chameleon'...anywhere ....why would they ? I am actually starting to think that he might be ....er..um..rare ;) He may well be !

Nah, he's just disguised as every other minimate ever. And nobody remembers him because nobody can find the damn minimate he's disguised as at the moment.

And my Thor face is, was, and probably forever will be Sentry. Unless I take the face from JMS Thor and put it on Old Thor and have some fun with that.

I think the X-Factor Iceman is the best yet, and personally think the updated Spiderwoman really dates the older version. But somehow, I still like wave 5 Cap the best, so there is subjective taste for you. As for black Spidey, I agree, but most of it has to do with the mask. I've posted this elsewhere, but if you stick the slip mask that comes with the Secret Wars set over "Back in Black" Spidey's head, you get yourself a pretty spiffy looking Spidey. I'm not saying I like him more than the wave 2 variant, but I do really like him.

As to Wolverine, we haven't gotten the updated, regular brown and yellow/burnt orange version yet. Once that comes, my prediction--most popular Minimate of all times! Or at least in the top 100 or so.

Karamaazov80.

I agree with you that a Brown Costumed Wolverine is needed and will most likely be produced in the future. I think DST has provided us with enough pieces to successfully create a decent representation of this desired costume. I have seen some images of Gaijin Wolverine with Daken’s updated mask. However I feel Daken’s body should be utilized. All one needs to do is scratch off Daken’s tattoo with a knife, use Wolverine’s face from Series 28 and presto you have a decent representation of the costume. Perhaps this poor man’s custom can keep you fulfilled until they release the official version. Picture below.

great thread!

i definitely agree with everyone else about juggy and rhino needing to get an updated "bulky" look. and a new mystique would be nice, too. the first one was pretty dreadful...

not sure if anyone else mentioned this already, but that astonishing x-men beast we got has gotta be one of the worst 'mates (in my humble opinion) of the whole bunch. a re-do on ol' hank would be very cool (and a minimate version of the beast from morrison's run would be awful nice, too--- AND a zorn).

During the early 90's the Chameleon spent a very long time, seems like over a year's worth of stories in all three Spidey titles disguised as JJJ. Probably their influence for the "variant". Funny, given the evolution of the line and all the accessories that find their way into some pack, it does seem like a rip off now. If the Chameleon would have been released for the first time now, we'd have been upset that there was only one slip one mask, and not a few more.

And as a guy who doesn't have a Chameleon-mate, if I'm going to spring for a "master of disguise", I'd rather it be the one with a actual disguise.

If the Chameleon would have been released for the first time now, we'd have been upset that there was only one slip one mask, and not a few more.

A Chameleon update would be a handy way around the lack of civilian mates these days. They could throw in a JJJ head, a Harry Osborn head, etc. Only if they were full extra heads though -- as mentioned upthread, the original Jonah head looked really weird because it was a slip-on, too wide/stretched out.

For me, It is really only a few that I would need to be remade.

Colossus

Classic Thor

Nick Fury

Quicksilver

Now, I do feel that a whole lot of mates could be redone to look much better, to match the level of stuff that has been coming out over the last year or two. My thing is; if I don't like the look of a character, I could care less if it is ever redone, or done in the first place...even if it means a team will not be complete, or if the character is the #1 person involved in a specific boxset, or things like that.

• 4 weeks later...
NONE! make NEW figures...new do ya hears me!!!

I HERE YOU!

I would definetely want new mates more than updated mates because well they are fresh in the minimate universe something we have never seen before.

but if i had to see 3 ppl updated they would be

1:RHINO

2:NICK FURY

3:RONIN{ninja blades,numchucks,NINJA WEAPONS}

4:CHAMELEON{from the 1994 spider-man show}

Edited by darkredshdow

Wolverine, Wolverine needs an update. Just kidding (Which should be obvious, but really, we need just a really good iteration of him, kind of like Wave 28). Dr. Strange needs a regular wave release, Punisher, Apocalypse, HARLEY QUINN, JOKER, Bishop with Long hair!!!, Carnage, Blade?, GALACTUS!!!, Kingpin, Mysterio, Nick Fury, NIGHTCRAWLER, and Shocker.

Sorry about that mishap. My internet is pretty shitty.

Edited by RaginCajun713