UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Comic Con '10 meetup?

Lobsterman

I'll be there. I've been counting down the days.

Last year seemed a little scattered. Do we want to try and plan a place and time to meetup?

A couple years back we had a room scheduled upstairs during convention hours. I don't know what it takes to arrange that or if CCI still permits it, but it seemed to work well.

Would love to be there, but the past several million years of continental drift have ilosated me in another hemishphere.

Have a great time guys & bring back lots of pictures :)

Are we all 21+? if so i suggest: http://www.kcbbq.net/

it's where they filmed the bar scenes in Top Gun.

It's a longish walk/short trolley ride from the Con.

Hey 616,

I would qualify it as a pretty short walk from the con or a lazy trolley ride ;)

It might have changed or cleaned up it's act in the years since I've been there but...

I went once and neither I or my G/F were not impressed, the food was mediocre and we sat outside which was a mistake as the place was filthy with uncleared trash and because it was a hot day ( as most are in SD) there were an insane amount of flies :(

Just sharing what was ( until early last year) a local opinion, I know you lived there too so perhaps you had a better experience than we did?

T.

lol you're completly right T, but that's was the point. MMMV needs a bit of dirty upm in this piece

Been there quite a few times myself and god bless bars with bra's. But on a serious note, it'd be an easy landmark to find, as it is right off the trolley line. We wouldn't have to stay there past the obligitory shot and picture of the place, it's close to Little Italy which is a much better place to hold an actual 'elbows up' type of gathering.

so, more of a meeting point.

Jason4444 I know you're down for a pub crawl, any other takers?

Edited by 616commando

lol you're completly right T, but that's was the point. MMMV needs a bit of dirty upm in this piece

Been there quite a few times myself and god bless bars with bra's. But on a serious note, it'd be an easy landmark to find, as it is right off the trolley line. We wouldn't have to stay there past the obligitory shot and picture of the place, it's close to Little Italy which is a much better place to hold an actual 'elbows up' type of gathering.

so, more of a meeting point.

Jason4444 I know you're down for a pub crawl, any other takers?

Little italy? did it move? I used to live in little Italy, and it was the other direction from the flybbq place! :):P

Perhaps you are right, atmosphere and a photo op should win out above class at someting as geeky as comic con! :D

Please don't talk pub crawls as I it makes me sad, it feels odd missing 2 yrs in a row after living within walking distance and doing 5 straight yrs :( ( BTW if you do a pub crawl have a pint of Guinness in Dublin Sq for me!)

T.

p.s. If you are looking to pub crawl can I suggest both Aaron and BHM will be more than happy to come along! ( one lives locally and the other finds it hard to say no to beer... )

I'm 95% certain of going to SDCC & if the guy who I'm staying with gets concerned about my 5% of doubt .....worry not ....it's just my 'way'. I actually bought my pass when they were first issued & got a 40% discount for being ....& I quote...."The old guy we all want at SDCC".

Being a man of a certain age is especially interesting at events like these & I have great fun signing autographs & posing for pictures with some of the .....er...er....um ....more interestinglyundressed ladyfolk whilst their less-than-impressed, DC or Marvel garbed male companions snarl & grimace. Gullibility is an absolute requirement for just about everybody who attends SDCC,myself included......& milk it you must... & I do .

The meet-up? I'm pretty sure that wherever you guys decide upon ,will probably be where I'll turn up ,safe in the knowledge that ol' bhm 'fell for it'......

.......you'll all be in another bar!!!! :blink:

Last time:

As for beer....I was totally shocked to find the US that I had not seen for over 20 years no longer sells my favourite beers Coors Lite ,Michelob & M iller :sick: shite & Budweener. Before you all rage that you can still get those...er...beers.........why would you want to??? I had to put up with some of the newer stuff....American ales......really impressive stuff & a delight to imbibe with ones companions. Seriously I loved some of them although their names escape me now . TBT , Shane & Aaron all helped me sample the various wares in various venues & at times we must have looked like the Warriors ....er...Four with myself taking on the mantle of my hero Volstagg. I have mentioned before that my personality is much like Volstagg....cowardly yet brave,polite yet rude,fearsome yet friendly(?) whilst physically I could easily be mistaken for Thor . TBT has an air of Loki about him whilst Shane & Aaron might be Balder & Heimdall respectively,Aaron guards his wallet much like Heimdall guards Bifrost whilst Shane just shines in his Shane-like way. Storm 1:08 arrives usually ....if I recall correctly..armed like a Convention die-hard whilst Boyd & his fair maiden genuinely looked pleased to meet me...... :huh: Meeting Ivan & his father (?) was memorable ,for me at least, & I discussed at length my idea for a Beer Database . If it was Ivan's father .....he must be younger than me dammit :angry:

There were many many other moments I cherish ,forgive my reminiscence but ...I loved it & I'll make sure I love this one,it'll probably be my last .

As for 'Loki' I will genuinely miss you this year..... & you 'Balder', if you're not there, but feel safe in the knowledge that thy fearless comrade 'Volstagg ' will be drinking to your health :D

Remember: If you drink responsibly.......

...........don't drink with me.

Meeting Ivan & his father (?) was memorable ,for me at least, & I discussed at length my idea for a Beer Database . If it was Ivan's father .....he must be younger than me dammit :angry:

Weird, I thought that guy was with you. He certainly liked movies about gladiators.

Truthishly, I like being able to share SDCC with my dad. Sure, by the end of the week we are getting on each others nerves, but it's one of the few things he and I do together regularly and I wouldn't trade it for anything. :)

I panicked yesterday when I realised that I didn't have my reservation confirmation for SDCC with the relevant barcode. I emailed SDCC info. & they kindly confirmed everything but "I see no barcode?" At the risk of inviting ridicule (perhaps I'm missing something?) ...a barcode is ....er...a ...barcode ...right? I see no barcode .....anybody got any words of wisdom they can impart?

I panicked yesterday when I realised that I didn't have my reservation confirmation for SDCC with the relevant barcode. I emailed SDCC info. & they kindly confirmed everything but "I see no barcode?" At the risk of inviting ridicule (perhaps I'm missing something?) ...a barcode is ....er...a ...barcode ...right? I see no barcode .....anybody got any words of wisdom they can impart?

Words of wisdom.... Never piss facing into the wind?

Oh you mean about SDCC, you'll be fine, everything is scarily uber computerised, I'm sure if you take the email you have they will sort it out :)

T.

I'm guessing that somehow your computer is blocking the image of the barcode in the confirmation email. If you can't see the barcode, you can't see your registration number. Both are in the same image and the email confirmation from SDCC has it nowhere else typed other than in the image. Not sure if your anti-virus or firewall or whatever is blocking it.

The confirmation number is clearly shown in the main page that has been emailed to me . In the attachment to the email I can view a barcode in the script which is quite clear but has the words 'access denied' printed underneath. To be fair to you, Alen & Tim, I've not tried to print anything yet so perhaps all will come to light.

The confirmation number is clearly shown in the main page that has been emailed to me . In the attachment to the email I can view a barcode in the script which is quite clear but has the words 'access denied' printed underneath. To be fair to you, Alen & Tim, I've not tried to print anything yet so perhaps all will come to light.

Is amused given your former trade that you are having issues printing stuff :D

You should be fine, just write that confirmation number down and take it with you.

T.

• 2 weeks later...

You can count me in for SDCC. Got all my reservations lined up: con, plane, hotel.

While a pub crawl isn't against my religion, something less involved during the daylight hours would be good also. Partly to make sure any minors are included.