UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Hobbit Film Thread

Trekker 42

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

If I read between the lines of the press release correctly, I think Peter Jackson is just doing what he had planned to do all along, but just attaching it to the name "The Hobbit".

After LOTR was wrapped, he had talked about doing a LOTR "prequel" (or prequels) taking things from the appendices and fleshing them out to bridge the gap between the Hobbit and LOTR. That sure seems to be what he is doing here now and calling it "The Hobbit 3" instead of "The Wacky Adventures of Hobbits, Men and Dwarves" or whatever title they would have invented.

I'm up for it!thumbsup.gif

I don't know how "LOTR" prequel he will go, but by adding the full story of what Gandalf does when he leaves the group during the story could possibly fill almost a whole movie there. I'm assuming that a good chunk of movies 2 and 3 will involve Radagast the Brown, Gandalf the Grey, and Saruman the White's battle with Sauron's spirit. I would guess the "prequel thing may be fleshing out how Saruman starts down the dark path. I'm sure Peter Jackson will take some liberties with that story line but I'm excited to see it.

The rumored break of the story at the end of the first film is when they escape from the Mirkwood dungeon, so I'm wondering where the break will be for the second.

My only worry with making it 3 movies is that The Hobbit and LotR are so different in tone. As much as I want to see the Unfinished Tales/Appendix stuff on screen, I think I would rather all of that have its own movie(s) rather than weigh down The Hobbit. But then I guess all that stuff wouldn't really have a clear narrative, so attaching it all to The Hobbit roots it in a story rather than just making it ancillary information. That said, my favorite parts of the LotR movie trilogy were the parts that focused on the hobbits, and although they were vastly different in tone than the main story, it worked. So ultimately I have faith that PJ can tell multiple stories with different tones all within the same films. I trust PJ on this.

Edited by Turtle

I don't know how "LOTR" prequel he will go, but by adding the full story of what Gandalf does when he leaves the group during the story could possibly fill almost a whole movie there. I'm assuming that a good chunk of movies 2 and 3 will involve Radagast the Brown, Gandalf the Grey, and Saruman the White's battle with Sauron's spirit. I would guess the "prequel thing may be fleshing out how Saruman starts down the dark path. I'm sure Peter Jackson will take some liberties with that story line but I'm excited to see it.

The rumored break of the story at the end of the first film is when they escape from the Mirkwood dungeon, so I'm wondering where the break will be for the second.

My guess is that they'll focus a lot of 2 on going back to where Gandalf left them at Mirkwood and deal with his time when the hobbits were in Mirkwood. Then it'll flip between them showing the fall of Dol Guilder in movie 2 and the fall of Smaug. Then the second movie will end with the start of the siege of the Lonely Mountain and Gandalf realizing he's needed there.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Just got back..... let me say, this is the most incredible film i may have ever seen. While that might not mean much since im not a very big critic, i still think this movie is firing on all cylinders. EVERYTHING was great, even the credits. Peter Jackson has out down the entire LOTR trilogy with just the first installment of his new one :D

thank you Mr. Tolkien and thank you Mr. Jackson :D

Edited by undeadpool

It may have come from the um... incredible lack of sleep before the midnight showing, but I didn't like this as much as I probably should have. Gonna see it again and see if my opinion changes. As it stands it's not even in my top 5 of the year.

Started off a bit too slow, but by the time the adventure started it was amazing! I watched it in 24 fps 2D as there was no option for the 48 at my local theater and I am not the biggest fan of 3D. Whether it be the amazing set design, costumes or CGI everything was great. The Golumn scene has to be one of the best scenes of the year if not a lllooooonnnnnggggg time. Other then the starting the ending has to be the biggest dissapointment

Edited by darkredshdow

Watched it yesterday - in 3D/48fps <- this didn't do it for me. Clearly not a fan.

But I did like the movie quite a lot. I especially loved the beginning, the very, very slow start. Jackson really took his time here. And I also really liked the additional stuff this time. I guess the LotR story arc is much deeper, complex and much better told, so I was always a little disappointed if Jackson left somtheing out or added things. But with the Hobbit, I always felt that it's a great and exciting story, but it's narrated in a different, way simpler tone. Well, it obviously is. As far as I see it, Jackson tries to adopt the Hobbit story the way he told LotR, without giving up all of the fun and childish aspects of Tolkien's work. And that's what I really like. So I guess it's hard to compare both stories, but with everything I love in "The Hobbit", this movie did a great job!

And Radagast? I tend to be a Tolkien purist willing to compromise. And honestly, I loved this scene!

"Those are Gundobad Wargs. They'll catch and eat you,”. “These are Rhosgobel Rabbits. I'd like to see them try."

I fiiiiinally got to see this today, and it was absolutely amazing. I'm fine with making minor changes from a source 1 to make a better movie, so going into it, I wasn't worried about story details. But I was worried that it would be too dark, too much like LOTR. This movie was so much fun with so many lighthearted moments. Stunning. The beginning was my favorite part. I just had so much fun watching the dwarves and Bilbo and Gandalf interact. That's What Bilbo Baggins Hates was really well done. I thoroughly enjoyed it, but, even after seeing it in the trailer, the dwarf song they all sing together was very magical. I didn't like that there was no Fifteen Birds in Five Fir Trees, but I guess these aren't the singing type of goblins. Oh, Figwit/Lindir... a good laugh for both me and my wife. Also, hard to believe that Thorin was the assassin in Captain America. Such a small part for such a large presence.

• 2 months later...

Anyone that bought the Hobbit dvd/blu ray watch the live event today with Peter Jackson? They showed rough clips from Desolation of Smaug and PJ answered questions from twitter and video questions from youtube. Stephen Colbert even posted a video question, it funny. The second movie looks great thus far, I cannot wait to see a full trailer.

• 2 months later...