UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Hobbit Film Thread

Trekker 42

Well Del Toro has left the Hobbit officially as MGM can't get their act straight. Jackson is still on as producer but it's not likely he wants to direct. Question is, Multiverse, who should?

I have it narrowed down to my top five choices. In order:

1. Gore Verbinski. He's created an amazing fantasy world in the Pirates trilogy. Say what you want about the story of the last two, the setting, the costumes, everything except the script was amazing. Best part? The script is already written! So it's not like he has to churn them out last second like he did with Pirates 2 and 3. So he's my top choice.

2. Andrew Adamson. Again a beautiful fantasy world in Narnia. Very similar to Middle Earth. He seems poised to strike in taking over the Hobbit. After all, he's no longer directing the Narina franchise. I simply think Verbinski's style is a little more to my liking for this story.

3. Christopher Nolan. Because everything he touches is freakin genius.

4. J.J. Abrams. See Christopher Nolan

5. Mike Newell. He has experience with Dragons from Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire and seems to understand fantasy better than most any director out there short of Adamson and Verbinski. However the mediocre reception of Prince of Persia has me skeptical. And I didn't really care for Goblet of Fire. There are just so few good Fantasy directors out there now.

And of course there are those who I hope to God in heaven it isn't:

1. Michael Bay. Oooo! Lookie! Shiny Dragon! Hey, if I attached some C4 to the end of this arrow it will look even cooler when he dies! What? This is Middle Earth? There's no C4? Screw that! I'm Michael Freakin Bay! There will be C4! BOOM!

2. Uwe Boll [crawls into corner and cries]

3. Tim Burton. First off, Johnny Depp is Bilbo. He's a quirky fellow who the neighbos don't trust. And let's see... bouncy music? Of course. Strange vocal chanting? Sure. Oh, and Middle Earth is an ACID TRIP!!! Colors EVERYWHERE!!! Storyline? What do you mean storyline? Screw it. More COLORS!

Edited by Trekker 42

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm open to most of Trekker's choices with the exception maybe of Abrams and Nolan.

This is just my personal opinion, but J.J. Abrams strikes me as more of a sci-fi kind of guy. Not that I'm knocking his style, and not that I'm saying speculative fiction cinema is a very inflexible niche, but you just know somebody's gonna sneak in a "Fantasy fiction WITH LEEENS FLAAAAAAAAARE" gag in there somewhere :P

Nolan... I haven't seen enough of his work to gauge how suitable he may be for the material. So far it's only The Prestige that gives me enough hope that he may stand a chance at it. Still, too soon to tell.

In any case it appears both guys already have their plates full with future projects, so only time will tell if this adaptation will still stand a chance at getting a good enough director.

As for my own hypothetical suggestions, the only guys who immediately comes to mind for me are either Alfonso Cuaron or Timur Bekmambetov. (Don't dismiss him just because he's one of "Burton's boys" and he directed that silly Wanted adaptation. Seriously, watch his films Nochnoi Dozor and Dnevnoi Dozor. They're both adaptations of this Russian urban fantasy series, and canon drift aside it's pretty compelling stuff.)

Edited by NorthRaider

Well a couple days ago (before he quit) del Toro said they had already designed all the creatures/sets/wardrobe/animatics, and planned out all the sequences for the movie... basically everything but shoot it, because of this studio BS. And he's still going to be involved in the production apparently, with Jackson and those LOTR writers. So whoever they bring on to direct now, I doubt they're going to throw all that out for a whole new vision/look, a la Tim Burton or whoever. They'll just want someone who can handle the work of bringing together all the stuff they've already designed, and get the goods from the actors.

Of the Potter movies, the only one where the direction stood out to me particularly was Azkaban, and that dude is apparently pals with del Toro -- and if you watch Children Of Men, he can do crazy-tense action sequences and great character stuff -- so I think he'd be good for it maybe.

As for my own hypothetical suggestions, the only guys who immediately comes to mind for me are either Alfonso Cuaron or Timur Bekmambetov. (Don't dismiss him just because he's one of "Burton's boys" and he directed that silly Wanted adaptation. Seriously, watch his films Nochnoi Dozor and Dnevnoi Dozor. They're both adaptations of this Russian urban fantasy series, and canon drift aside it's pretty compelling stuff.)

Cuaron was right below Newell. I ust figured Newell had more action/fantasy experience than Cuaron

Quentin Tarantino .....then maybe it'll be worth looking forward to.

YES! I can see it now: Samuel L. Jackson as Smaug.

Smaug: I get the feeling that some motherf**ker is runnin around my my lair. The F**k are you?

Bilbo: I am he that walks unseen. I am the clue-finder, the web-cutter, the stinging fly. I was chosen for the lucky number. I am he that buries his friends alive and drowns them. I am the Barrel-Rider...

Smaug: Shut. The. F**k. Up. I f**king get it. But did I ask for what you did. No. I asked for your NAME motherf**ker!

Bilbo: What's in a name? A rose by...

Smaug: Oh now you just getting stupid. See this s**t? [turns over] This is SOLID F**KING GOLD! No ****** in Lake Town can pierce this s**t!

Bilbo: Magnificent! Splended! Flawless!

Smaug: It is ain't it?

Bilbo: Well I really must not delay your magnificance any longer or keep you from much needed rest. Ponies take some catching I believe after a long start. And so do burglars.

Smaug: WHAT THE F**K IS THIS!? Motherf**ker thinks he can steal from ME! Do I LOOK like a B**CH!? It's time to blow some s**t up! F**king Barrel Rider! Lake Town can suck on some FIRE! [leaves to ravage Lake Town.]

What's the hold-up now? I thought New Line had settled with the Tolkien estate and everything was AOK again.

MGM is the hold up now. They kinda have The Hobbit and they are imploding. Until MGM is resolved nothing can happen with The Hobbit. it's the same issue that's keeping James Bond 23 from cranking up. And it too needs to crank up.

Hey Trekker loved your Tarantino version . Howsabout 'Kill Bilbo' as a working title? The star could be John Wayne..................

....Bobbitt.

Couldn't fail....................... Headline ,"Bobbitt plays Hobbit without his kn*b bit"

That is probably weighing in as perhaps my saddest post ever :(

(bhm waits for thread to implode with 'usual faces ' setting upon him ....deservedly.

Hey Trekker loved your Tarantino version . Howsabout 'Kill Bilbo' as a working title? The star could be John Wayne..................

....Bobbitt.

Couldn't fail....................... Headline ,"Bobbitt plays Hobbit without his kn*b bit"

That is probably weighing in as perhaps my saddest post ever :(

(bhm waits for thread to implode with 'usual faces ' setting upon him ....deservedly.

Glad to hear you liked it. Seriously though I could see Samuel L. Jackson doing the voice of Smaug. Even without the profanity.

Kill Bilbo? Works for me! The second part should be Inglorious Wizards of course. (After all, it's mostly about Gandalf and the White Council if reports are accurate.)

Edited by Trekker 42

To be honest I don't care if The Hobbit ever gets made. It's never a good sign when a talented person leaves a sure fire hit. Last week there was rumors that Del Toro was not getting along with the studio because they wanted him to shoot it in 3D and this week he walks away from more than 3 years of pre-production. So I have lost all interest.

YES PLEASE. I can't really imagine anyone else pulling it off as well as Jackson did LOTR.

• 4 weeks later...

Praise the Lord most Holy! Now we KNOW they'll be done right!

I have to say that I'm not surprised. He's better for this than anyone. And as I doubt they'll do The Similirillion, The Hobbit will probably be the last films of the Middle Earth franchise. So we'll have, thank god, CONTINUITY!

• 1 year later...

I think it's safe to say the answer to the question is Peter Jackson.

Yeah I know. This thread was made in the period of uncertainty... I'm about to go change the title.

As far as the trailer goes...

Holy.

Crap.

Yeah I'm ready for this. Quite ready.

• 6 months later...

Peter Jackson just said at the panel at Comic Con that he'd like to shoot more footage for The Hobbit (Filming ended a couple weeks ago). The very exciting news (At least for me) is that this could push the story arc to the point where is would need to be split over three movies instead of two!