UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Modifying Marvel Minimates

mtd20_2000

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

So I was watching Thor 2 last night on BluRay and thought there had to be a way to add to add Hogun and Fandral to my collection:

post-1897-0-28065700-1394161974_thumb.jp

Fandral is Thor 1 Lokis torso and cape, Sins arms and lower body, Odins bracers, a random pair of black hands and buccaneer boots. The sword I assume is from a pirate and I have no clue whos head (who needed a mustache and beard painted on it) and hair those originally were.

Hogun is some arms from a Halo alien (the silver, hoof legged dude) on a Thor 1 Thor, AoA Jean Greys neck... thingy, Thor 1 Lokis bracers, Monkeans mace, and I dont know whos head and hair (I know its not a rare head, I had two and tried giving him a beard too, made him look less asian so I stuck with the clean shaven one)

Volstagg was looking sort of small next to them so I used the arms and leg armor of a Halo alien (brown one, same as the silver one used on Hogan), Thor 1 Thors bracers, and Jax (from the Sony mates) boots, and an MvC3 Thors skirt on backwards to bulk him up a little.

Ill be the first to admit theyre not accurate, but it kind of works. (I also dont display Thor 1 Thor and Loki, having replaced them with an Amalgam of the best parts from all 3 Thors and a Thor 2 Loki, so I dont have the problem of their chest looking identical to their donors)

those look fantastic biggrin.png

can I suggest the Mandarin hair for Hogun, it may need a paint job but it has the tied up hair in the back

Edited by undeadpool

Sometimes the size and ratio of bulkier characters are a little off to my tastes.

Case in point: Onslaught's squatty legs.

935195_10152376083597228_1856790852_n.jp

Hardly intimidating.

My solution:

1: Add a longer pegged waist piece (a few of the Expendables came with this style for some reason.)

1796602_10152376083592228_1324910559_n.j

2: Add an extra waist shim to the waist peg.

1012273_10152376083602228_1312018417_n.j

3: Toss a few shims into the boots so the legs don's sink so far in them. ( Not sure why but these boots seem to swallow the length of the legs.)

1010116_10152376083662228_148535164_n.jp

Personally like the final result much better. This simple mod adds almost a 1/4 inch to the figure.

1976984_10152376083692228_1208055291_n.j

That’s good to know the expendables have longer waist stumps! I’ve been trying to add height to some characters and I'm finding most of the default waist stumps just don’t have the height for it (my Volstagg a little up the page falls apart if touched because his waist barely fits with the added riser) that’s gonna make life a lot easier!

also my father pronounces shrimp as ‘shim’, so the idea of tossing couple shrimp in Onslaughter’s boots to add height had me giggling

those look fantastic biggrin.png

can I suggest the Mandarin hair for Hogun, it may need a paint job but it has the tied up hair in the back

I tried that, he looked weird with that hair piece (this is one of few young asian-ish heads I found in my parts bin, so there might be a different head it works with, but it’s not this one). I like the ‘shagginess’ the hair he has gives him (even if his hair is rather neat in the films), so I just sculpted a bun onto it:

post-1897-0-60216100-1394358225_thumb.pn

pictured with a Super Friend’s Samurai to show a possible alternate head if the Mandarin’s hair is the piece you wish you use, he’s grim and even has the correct Thor 2 beard! . (I thought it looked a little too sinister for one of Thor’s BFF's)

Which expendables had the long waist bit?

Hard to say at this point. I bought the two 4-Packs for $7 each from LukesToyStore.com

I'm assembling a Reavers custom build and wanted the weapons. Ended up using more than just the guns :)

We've got shrimp and buns, I'm getting hungry... Must be lunch time!