UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Modifying Marvel Minimates

mtd20_2000

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Why the Animated Line makes Black characters dark grey...

Once upon a time my dad worked in grocery store. I also later worked in this same store, but this story predates that, because this was back in the 90s when Power Rangers were all the rage, and I was in like, the 3rd grade.

The store sold Power Ranger cookies. Large individual ones, like a grab-and-go eat it now snack cookie, in a grab-and-go lunch section freezer. They were supplied by an outside vendor, who would come and restock them regularly. I was a kid at the time, and a big fan of Power Rangers, so I often ate said cookies, my dad would buy me them for lunches. I'm not sure why, because they were actually kind of gross. I think I just liked Power Rangers that much. ANYWAY... I noted quickly that they had Red Rangers, Green Rangers... Blue Rangers, Pink Rangers and Yellow Rangers. But never got Black Rangers. This perplexed me as a fan, because as far as the original roster went, Zach (The Black Ranger) was easily in most kids top 3 favorite Power Rangers. And frankly, after eating all five other rangers, I WANTED to eat a Black Ranger. So one day, my dad asked the vendor, "Why no Black Rangers?" and the vendor explained to him that Black wasn't produced because it isn't a kid friendly color.

Now... stupid as it seems... since this is the Animated line, and the Animated line is undoubtedly something corporate decision makers would prefer stay kid friendly... I'm guessing the same reasoning is at play here.

IE. We can't make animated toys (or cookies) black, because animated toys (and cookies!) are for kids, and black is a scary imposing color. We want to keep this line brightly colored and kid friendly.

Just guessing though.

Meanwhile as a kid with firsthand perspective on what I wanted... I was just like, "That's completely stupid! I want a Black Ranger Cookie!"

Edited by Gillbob316

Try being a post-Burton Batman fan. When I asked why Kenner hadn't made a plain, old black Batman Beyond action figure, a Warner Bros. exec personally told me, "There's only so many ways you can do black."

I get that kids are attracted to bright, primary and secondary colors. That's what branding is for. If the product isn't authentic fans of any age will know and care and pass on buying it.

Still, retailers and manufacturers (and to a slightly lesser degree the licensors themselves) count on clueless adults to make up the difference. "Jimmy likes Batman. Let's get him this Construction Zone Guardian Batman™ in fluorescent orange armor with launching bat-flags!" No. Fuck you, Uncle Bill. You didn't even read my wishlist, did you? :angry:

1 hour ago, Freaqualizer said:

@Heinous that’s another great custom. Did you paint the body? Is this all just part swaps? I see the gauntlets and boots from AvX Cyc, I think, whose loin cloth is that? Again, looks great!

It's just black legs and arms with the detail painted on, I used the original chest block and painted the grey black and then went over the piping with the grey I was using on the rest of the body. The loin cloth is from fear itself Hawkeye 

• 2 weeks later...

Lego Police Dog and Lego Crystal Ball with some white sculpy for the suit?

LEGO_Police_Dog_German_Shepherd__32299.161eLowl7XKL._SY355_.jpg

Edited by Onyx_6

On 12/4/2017 at 6:33 PM, Freaqualizer said:

@Heinousthat Bug is awesome! I put that helmet and hulk head on an Invaders Bucky body and it looks great. The added tentacles and arm details make that badass! 

It is indeed! I've been wanting to make Bug for ages, to finish off his team... his REAL team, the Micronauts! Using that mask never even crossed my mind.

On 12/23/2017 at 10:05 PM, Heinous said:

So that worked at getting me buzzing and gave me an idea,  do you have any ideas how to make a minimate of cosmo the space dog? 

Thanks to the Alien and TMNT lines we have some decent space helmets to choose from. I think the closest thing we've gotten to a dog is Muffit from Battlestar Galactica.

Yeah that isn't going to work very well. The cool white dog is a good start; you'd need to probably use plain white arms and legs for him though. There's lots of Minimate space helmets now; the problem with them is that the won't fit a hairpiece or sculpted head. So you'd need a dog decal face to put on a regular Minimate head, which should look just fine under the helmet.

I think I've just talked myself into making a Cosmo custom....

BTW that set can be had for a reasonable price on Amazon now. I've had my eye on it to use the Scorpion Key for a Scorpio custom. I probably should do that before you guys all swoop in and take them.

Edited by hellpop

21 hours ago, hellpop said:

BTW that set can be had for a reasonable price on Amazon now. I've had my eye on it to use the Scorpion Key for a Scorpio custom. I probably should do that before you guys all swoop in and take them.

I made a Zodiac (the character) and considered getting it but just couldn't justify it.

So many artifacts we need in Minimates scale... zodiac key, serpent crown, casket of ancient winters...