UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Modifying Marvel Minimates

mtd20_2000

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its First Class Jean Grey, Lara Crofts face and hair, some blank pure black arms I had lying around, First Class Cyclops's gloves/wrist combo, MvC3's Wolverine shoulder pads and belt, and some blank black legs lo.

I might retool 90's Jean Grey's shoulder pads instead, but I thought it would take a little more work for the same look (now I realize it would look better, at least, but maybe next time)

Picture1_zps2fd22f7c.png

that would go great with my custom light up human torch that i mentioned before

Mystery Man did you trim anything or do they just pop together?

Had to trim quite a bit. Wish I'd have taken pictures during the process.

It consisted of dremelling the middle base down a little at a time so that it'd fit snugly into the surrounding base. The surrounding base, I carefully cut the center out of. Due to the shape of the base, it's not a symmetrical shape that you cut out.

Thus, the whole thing was a little more time consuming than just cutting out a hole and popping the dremelled part in place. Plus, you want it to fit tightly... so I heated 'em up with boiling water and then pushed 'em together when I'd gotten the general shape done and worked at dremelling a little off from the center piece with each test to see if it'd fit. You can always take away plastic but you can't put it back.

However, after it was done, the superglue helped fill in any gaps. The large, clear base glued underneath the whole thing helps for stability when you put a figure on it. Hope that helps!

I did something similar for my Cannonball, to give him more height.

I whittled away at a foot-blast stand so it was just one central peg that tapers. Then I cut the bottom off a Cannonball-blast stand, and made the bottom of the shaft jagged (like moving fire). It's already hollow, so I plugged the one into the other.

He's no longer blasting at waist-height, but over heads.

I don't have any pictures, unfortunately, but I could take some, if anyone was interested.