UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Modifying Marvel Minimates

mtd20_2000

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, thereasonsy said:

Nice! How did you get the halo off of the Angel figure?

Guessing he scraped it off with an XO knife.  I've done that a couple times; it's tricky because I'm not as careful as I should be, but removing the halo is one of the easier modifications to make with this method.

The All-New Beast has great parts for a classic Mimic. I'm looking for kind of a kitbash between his Exiles and modern blue look, which I'd say @TENIME_art got down pretty well!

Any ideas on how to make X-Men Villain named Bonebreaker, the bottom half of him is a tank. I almost think you could use the classic Toy Biz figure but it's too big. Probably would have to be the next scale up from regular Hot Wheels... and then find a way to get a minimate torso on there.

Maybe we'll get minis of the Reavers and those obscure characters later on

51XqjGtM5GL.jpg

There's a character in Battle Angel Alita, the manga, that has a similar setup; but minimates from that franchise good luck!

12 minutes ago, WookieFodder said:

Any ideas on how to make X-Men Villain named Bonebreaker, the bottom half of him is a tank. I almost think you could use the classic Toy Biz figure but it's too big. Probably would have to be the next scale up from regular Hot Wheels... and then find a way to get a minimate torso on there.

Maybe we'll get minis of the Reavers and those obscure characters later on

51XqjGtM5GL.jpg

There's a character in Battle Angel Alita, the manga, that has a similar setup; but minimates from that franchise good luck!

Are you reading my eBay history?!? I just bought a bone breaker from eBay for this purpose and parts from Luke last week! I’ll let you know how we go. 

On 2/25/2019 at 7:25 AM, thereasonsy said:

Nice! How did you get the halo off of the Angel figure?

On 2/25/2019 at 9:24 AM, hellpop said:

Guessing he scraped it off with an XO knife.  I've done that a couple times; it's tricky because I'm not as careful as I should be, but removing the halo is one of the easier modifications to make with this method.

Very little "Goof Off" on the tip of a cut off cotton swab (cut the cotton end off, sort of "whittling" the cardboard stem to a dull point).

On 2/25/2019 at 8:35 AM, NerdyTrev said:

Looks bada**!! I love the one metallic wing.

Thanks! With the wing, arm, and claws, I wanted one side metal, and one side organic.

On 2/26/2019 at 2:29 AM, PrinceCuseCuse said:

I'm looking for kind of a kitbash between his Exiles and modern blue look, which I'd say @TENIME_art got down pretty well!

Thanks! Yeah, I was trying to get as close to his Dark X-Men look as I could with some definite Exiles inspiration mixed in.

Bonebreaker- None of the sunglasses faces showed emotion like Gary Busey from Predator 2

Lower Torso- Matchbox Trail Tipper with back of dumptruck part taken off. Mounting Putty for now

Movie Falcon Goggles, 80's Storm Mohawk(Or Kluh is also white)---could maybe use Anton Zeck from TMNT, or paint red mohawk from Yondu or Nova Corp

Rocksteady Shirt,Animated Hawkeye Arms

Just playing around, figuring out how to make him. Maybe just some electrical tape to clean it up.

https://imgur.com/a/CLBYO7G

Here's a link to the matchbox i used

https://globaldiecastdirect.com/1-100-range/17613-matchbox-trail-tipper-dump-truck-with-tracks-.html

J726cOq.jpg

VK1tWWJ.jpg

Edited by WookieFodder

Finished! Age Of Apocalypse Box Set (#2)Jean Grey arms and Bolero Jacket, Marvel Minimates Wave 76 Black Cat Torso, Watchmen Minimates - Toys R Us Two PacksSilk Spectre (2) and Jessica Jones Netflix Box Set Trish hair. As always Hail Ivan and thanks Luke!

I feel like a good way to do the Reavers in a 2-Pack is to do something like the Nova Centurion where you can make multiple soldiers that don't look so identical. Have the tread piece as an option to make Bonebreaker, but the base figure is packed with standard legs to make some other Reaver. Alternate head for Bonebreaker, mask and chestpiece for Skullbuster and another random mask piece for a standard cyborg killer. Pack it with someone else who would warrant multiple buys and voila, instant hit. 

Something like this:

eIoSz60.jpg

1 hour ago, NerdyTrev said:

I feel like a good way to do the Reavers in a 2-Pack is to do something like the Nova Centurion where you can make multiple soldiers that don't look so identical. Have the tread piece as an option to make Bonebreaker, but the base figure is packed with standard legs to make some other Reaver. Alternate head for Bonebreaker, mask and chestpiece for Skullbuster and another random mask piece for a standard cyborg killer. Pack it with someone else who would warrant multiple buys and voila, instant hit. 

Something like this:

eIoSz60.jpg

Completely agreed. The weird part would be whom to pack them with from a storyline perspective. We could take a TV route and pair them with a Shiar warrior as they attacked the Shiar war ship in the tunnels but other than that I am pressed as to someone besides a Sentinel that makes sense and Inwould want to army build. 

13 minutes ago, thereasonsy said:

Completely agreed. The weird part would be whom to pack them with from a storyline perspective. We could take a TV route and pair them with a Shiar warrior as they attacked the Shiar war ship in the tunnels but other than that I am pressed as to someone besides a Sentinel that makes sense and Inwould want to army build. 

We could do the female Muir Island X-Men members. same body but with different heads for Moira MacTaggart, Polaris and Amanda Sefton.

1 hour ago, NerdyTrev said:

We could do the female Muir Island X-Men members. same body but with different heads for Moira MacTaggart, Polaris and Amanda Sefton.

In! I have versions in Jim Lee suits but I could be persuaded by New Mutant body with female and male chest block and heads. ? at this point this “two” pack is a box set. Although I did turn a Madame Masque into a Freedom Force Mystique do so this is definitely my jam. 

Hey, if DST could do the entirety of Wave 60 without feeling too jam-packed, they can definitely do this. Maybe put Skullbuster with some Wolverine variant (preferably a battle damaged Brown costume) to give up some more space. Throw in an updated punk Storm with a Donald Pierce and I'm golden. 

In fact! What do we think of this?:

Skullbuster / BD Brown Wolvie

Punk Storm (Mohawk and long hair) / Donald Pierce

Polaris w/ Moira head / Reaver

Polaris (late 80's purple costume) / Reaver

This way you can have Bonebreaker, Skullbuster and at least one other Reaver (depends on if you want both Moira AND Polaris) and their leader.

Edited by NerdyTrev

Bonebreaker in a two pack might be a little too tight. He would take up more space than Mojo/Spiral.

The "tank" piece would need the majority of it's own tray, bigger than a Prof X wheelchair. And any of these scenarios seems way less likely as a boxset.

It can't be super flat bc it has to somewhat line up with the height of a minimate. I syill think a hot wheels/matchbox is about the right size needed.

3 hours ago, WookieFodder said:

Bonebreaker in a two pack might be a little too tight. He would take up more space than Mojo/Spiral.

The "tank" piece would need the majority of it's own tray, bigger than a Prof X wheelchair. And any of these scenarios seems way less likely as a boxset.

It can't be super flat bc it has to somewhat line up with the height of a minimate. I syill think a hot wheels/matchbox is about the right size needed.

The treads don't need to be super long or tall. I can't think of a time where Bonebreaker has been the same height as other characters. Minimates are supposed to be bite-size and fun representations of characters. Otherwise the Mojo and Onslaught figures are trash because they don't tower over the other figures as they should. Same goes for the 60+ Wolverine variants for obvious, similar reasons. 

Or maybe I'm ignoring reality. 

And Goblin's gliders! But, you know, no motorcycles. ?

Seriously, it's about the spinning wheels. The first Professor X 'mate came with a wheelchair with spinning wheels. That was a no-no. Wrists were slapped and ever since all of the "vehicles" have been static.