UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Modifying Marvel Minimates

mtd20_2000

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hm. That classic Ronan mate is actually wrong in a few ways. 

• The "boot cuff" bands are superfluous - he didn't have them
  • The light green collar (on the chest tampo) had radial lines in the comics, not vertical ones
  • Ironically, his arms were banded metal not his legs, so this mate has it reversed.
  • That hammer is too big (TWSS)
  • The hood & shoulders are pretty off-model

(This is more Friday boredom than an actual grievance - I'm still happy with the mate)

Edited by elhonez

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm trying to match as best as I can the color on the Dreadnought minimate:

http://www.minimatedatabase.com/figure.php?i=974&n=Dreadnought

I'm just trying to get as close as I can so I don't have to fuss with re-painting the whole figure a new metallic blue...
It's really close to the Vallejo Electric blue but that doesn't have the metallic finish I'm hoping for. But I've narrowed it down to a couple that may be close here:

https://www.amazon.com/Bandai-GM17-Gundam-Marker-Metallic/dp/B0063CFVIK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1549066634&sr=8-3&keywords=metallic+gundam+marker+blue

https://www.amazon.com/Vallejo-Deep-Blue-Painting-Accessories/dp/B074VG5B3C/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1549066724&sr=8-4&keywords=vallejo+mecha+paint

Am I doing this wrong and there is an easier option that I'm not thinking of? I really only want to paint the head of another mate to use that body but I'm coming up with very few options. Anyone have any advice or tips, or another paint to try?

On 1/17/2019 at 9:15 PM, TENIME_art said:

Correct hammer, new costume, and (unmodified) missing character!

RAuCah8.jpg

Now I just gotta stop procrastinating on getting a head for Kraglin...

nice i did the same with the extra hammer i have and am piecing together a body for  korath

I like the arms you used, whose are they?

Edited by Mattallica

18 hours ago, Chigarillo said:

So I'm trying to match as best as I can the color on the Dreadnought minimate:

http://www.minimatedatabase.com/figure.php?i=974&n=Dreadnought

I'm just trying to get as close as I can so I don't have to fuss with re-painting the whole figure a new metallic blue...
It's really close to the Vallejo Electric blue but that doesn't have the metallic finish I'm hoping for. But I've narrowed it down to a couple that may be close here:

https://www.amazon.com/Bandai-GM17-Gundam-Marker-Metallic/dp/B0063CFVIK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1549066634&sr=8-3&keywords=metallic+gundam+marker+blue

https://www.amazon.com/Vallejo-Deep-Blue-Painting-Accessories/dp/B074VG5B3C/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1549066724&sr=8-4&keywords=vallejo+mecha+paint

Am I doing this wrong and there is an easier option that I'm not thinking of? I really only want to paint the head of another mate to use that body but I'm coming up with very few options. Anyone have any advice or tips, or another paint to try?

You could use the paint you mentioned, and then find a silver paint and do a light dry brush over it. I did that to my classic iron monger 

4 hours ago, spidermatt said:

Has anyone tried to make any other cosmic beings? Like the Inbetweener or Zeus or the Living Tribunal? Just wonderin.

Just like galactus, they wouldn't look right at minimate size. I've thought about buying a vinimate to try to customize a larger character. Wonder why the vinimate license doesn't include marvel.... 

5 hours ago, spidermatt said:

Has anyone tried to make any other cosmic beings? Like the Inbetweener or Zeus or the Living Tribunal? Just wonderin.

Luke just posted that his next Custom Preorder will be the In-Betweener. He also teased his next Character Cut-Out in his latest newsletter and the glimpse looks an awful lot like it's going to be The Living Tribunal

6 hours ago, spidermatt said:

Thats cool! I did see the teaser for the next cut out (dont remember where tho, maybe email?) but i'm pretty excited that its the Living Tribunal. Didnt know that Inbetweener was the next custom.

He put the teaser on his Instagram story 

On 2/2/2019 at 11:53 AM, Mattallica said:

nice i did the same with the extra hammer i have and am piecing together a body for  korath

I like the arms you used, whose are they?

Upper arms Halo Arbiter: http://minimatedatabase.com/figure.php?i=1382&n=Arbiter+(Ripa+'Moramee)

Lower arms...I don't remember. I went through my "video game" bin which has Halo, Tomb Raider, and Pathfinder/Dragon Age. I think they're all from there? I tried to use Hale Caesar's arms at first, but the skin tones didn't match, so I gave up. Maybe the lower arms & gloves were from my "movies/TV" bin with Kill Bill, BttF, Gotham, Godzilla?

• 2 weeks later...

The new Havok is giving me the main parts I need for it, so, does anyone know a good hair piece for Nate Grey? None of Rogue's really work. Sadly the recent Rogue would've been great if not for the bun at the back. At a pass, if there's absolutely nothing else, maybe AOA Rogue.

Are there any other hair pieces that are mostly brown haired with white streaks up front?

That looks awesome (he's fighting Holocaust too). I don't know how we've got over 10 AOA figures and not a Nate Grey - he's the one character from AOA with the most appearances. We need a two-pack of him and Wild Child (to go with Sabretooth mainly).

Painting would make everything so easier but unfortunately I can't do it myself - I have extreme hand tremors from anxiety and ECT... and there's got to be a passable hairpiece somewhere, maybe... surely... please?

1 hour ago, PrinceCuseCuse said:

Does anybody have a good Mimic recipe? I can't decide which design I wanna go with, so I wanna see what you guys got!

I've got a few Mimics... none of them are great... I'd be keen to hear other people's attempts.

I have an Exiles Mimic which is a bit pathetic using this which doesn't really work but it's the closest I could get

fig1290flg.jpg

(also obviously, Angel wings and Strike Force Wolverine claws and spare colossus parts for alt looks!). I ave him an Best of Iron Fist head. He work a jacket in a few issues and it doesn't look that off with a jacket on it. (since the arms and sides of his chest are the most inaccurate).

2pkbzFbR_xOvBiReh3pVrbX1oMm5FUwoXtj2LXx99FdTcX3C-a0Dvdm9AKvg77JklalYxphh3NlJ=s1600

with jacket

gQd1OyPwunHIpPqu_072Mz_wOnjQFDhVylg6BTZXP-Z3S4EgOFznjtxlFZeN4MQaMexPNv-w8uBB=s1600

For a Silver Age Mimic, All New Beast has got a great hair piece with visor and feet and All New Angel for his wings.

All New Iceman / Cyke also have potential for a modern Mimic.

And the new X-Factor Havok has some parts that could be useful too (I'm thinking the head).

Edited by AFMcGill

I'll see if I have any pictures of my two Mimics that I made. Both are works in progress at this point so I don't know that I ever snapped a photo of them...

Modern Mimic used the Asteroid M Magneto body as a base and the Exiles Mimic was a Wolverine base with spare Colossus parts and Hworang head for the googles.

Edited by Chigarillo

On 2/19/2019 at 5:22 AM, AFMcGill said:

That looks awesome (he's fighting Holocaust too). I don't know how we've got over 10 AOA figures and not a Nate Grey - he's the one character from AOA with the most appearances. We need a two-pack of him and Wild Child (to go with Sabretooth mainly).

Painting would make everything so easier but unfortunately I can't do it myself - I have extreme hand tremors from anxiety and ECT... and there's got to be a passable hairpiece somewhere, maybe... surely... please?

I completely sympathize as I have benign mal tremors so I also am not a real painter. I have found success though with sharpie paint pens. I got them at staples and that’s what I used on my Rogue.