UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Modifying Marvel Minimates

mtd20_2000

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that's the question right? Is there a character that hasn't been made 15 years in that is popular enough to warrant a BAF? I love what they did with the firehouse for GHost Busters and would do that for minimate X-Mansion or Danger Room.

BAFs aren’t just about which obscure characters can be offered to collectors. It’s about using existing price point SKUs to get an item to consumers that would otherwise require a different, higher price point.

If DST decided to start offering 2.5” size Minimates of characters like Thanos, they’d cost more to produce and ship because they use more materials and are heavier to ship. (That’s probably part of the reason that DC Direct’s Minimates were $2 more at retail, thanks to Bane, Killer Croc, Ares, Brainiac, Kilowog, STRIPE, Clayface, and Grodd.)

But divide that larger figure’s parts across multiple SKUs that don’t have many (if any) accessories and props and the cost can be mitigated.

I like the idea of BAF Minimates , I also like the idea of 2.5" Minimates & I can't see why they would cost anymore to produce than a 2" Minimate .  I'm not an expert on Minimate production so I cannot comprehend how much effort goes into producing a Minimate such as a 'Hulkbuster' but is anyone going to tell me that all those extra parts ,paint & assembly is the most economical way to produce a 'big' Minimate ? Surely a 2.5" Minimate would do the job better ?  

It depends on the character.

I'd argue that Hulk is the ideal case for a basic 2.5" Minimate that could replace a 2" figure covered in ten extra pieces of plastic. Hulk is tall and massive. A character like The Thing is just massive. He's a bulky character but not tall (officially 6' even). I like the Thing Minimate as is but Hulk usually seems short even with the waist riser.

The Hulkbuster armor would need sculpting. Just printing that armor on a 2.5" body probably wouldn't give it the right look. It'd at least need a bulkier chest, hands, and feet.

The comic-based Destroyer could get away with a 2" body but the movie version definitely looked wee compared to the film version.

We're really hijacking this thread... Apologies.

16 hours ago, MisterPL said:

It depends on the character.

I'd argue that Hulk is the ideal case for a basic 2.5" Minimate that could replace a 2" figure covered in ten extra pieces of plastic. Hulk is tall and massive. A character like The Thing is just massive. He's a bulky character but not tall (officially 6' even). I like the Thing Minimate as is but Hulk usually seems short even with the waist riser.

The Hulkbuster armor would need sculpting. Just printing that armor on a 2.5" body probably wouldn't give it the right look. It'd at least need a bulkier chest, hands, and feet.

The comic-based Destroyer could get away with a 2" body but the movie version definitely looked wee compared to the film version.

We're really hijacking this thread... Apologies.

Of course the Hulkbuster would need sculpting .....the sculpted parts being in proportion to the 2.5" figure , the Mk44 HB is apparently 11 feet tall . The 'comic' Hulk  (depending on which source you read) can be up to 8 feet tall whilst The Thing is 6 feet . The character whose height ,for me, is the most surprising is Juggernaut at 9 feet tall !! Who the hell wouldn't want a BAF Juggernaut ?

I'm not sure how we're hijacking this wonderful thread but if we are ....oops sorry.

Don't start me on The Thing because those particular Minimates exemplify how some Minimates get so close to being perfect yet fail . Why the hell can't his head be moulded in one piece of plastic that matches the colour/paintjob of the body  ? I'm all for interchangeability but remind me what would you do with the Thing's removable brow piece if you decided to remove it , which Minimate would you put it on ? Would you then give the rock-faced head a hairpiece ? It doesn't make any sense to me why the two pieces are used & why they never match? To some degree the perfect Thing Minimate is already a BAF , you just need about 4 or 5 different releases to cobble a decent one together .

8 hours ago, buttheadsmate said:

Don't start me on The Thing because those particular Minimates exemplify how some Minimates get so close to being perfect yet fail . Why the hell can't his head be moulded in one piece of plastic that matches the colour/paintjob of the body  ? I'm all for interchangeability but remind me what would you do with the Thing's removable brow piece if you decided to remove it , which Minimate would you put it on ? Would you then give the rock-faced head a hairpiece ? It doesn't make any sense to me why the two pieces are used & why they never match? To some degree the perfect Thing Minimate is already a BAF , you just need about 4 or 5 different releases to cobble a decent one together .

Shameless self promotion 

• 2 weeks later...