UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Modifying Marvel Minimates

mtd20_2000

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having looked at one of the black/gold Nova minimates after that suggestion of his gloves...

i'm probably even more inclined to use that body...

i was attracted to using the movie yellowjacket because it at least in some way had a link to it and had a decent and appropriate pattern i could fudge. i've anxiety issues which cause me basically to constantly be shaking so i can't really paint anything.

all the other suggestions were great (except pyro's head piece - that is one of the parts of a minimate i hate the most... i wound up using zombie pyro because i hate it so much!) - the angel body part i had considered too and straight away knew what you meant @Chigarillo

season 2 jack bauer has blonde hair and yellow glasses attached to that - that seems the easiest "don't have to do any work myself" choice. or using the old falcon goggles, the ones that slip over the head, and possibly trying to tool them / fix them to a hair piece.

On 8/20/2018 at 7:38 AM, AFMcGill said:

having assumed we're never going to get it i'm going to do a frankenstein kitbash of this

Image result for hank pym wasp

using this as the base 

fig2228f2lg.jpg

i'm content enough to fudge the lines and accept that as looking close enough

but any suggestions for the extra parts i need?

hair/goggles are the hardest, the best i can think of is using a cannonball but that's not perfect.

also need a good wing back piece that matches the dark silver (and i can just clip on the wasp style wings from something else)

any suggestions for other bits i could use to compliment it would be welcome (boots, gloves, shoulder bits, etc)

If you're up for painting, Invincible has the perfect hair/mask for that version of Pym.

52 minutes ago, Colonel America said:

If you're up for painting, Invincible has the perfect hair/mask for that version of Pym.

I would cry if anyone touched an Invincible! I am so pissed I didn’t get that set.

My current recipe will probably instead be:

fig1860flg.jpg

+ chest piece from:

fig2138f2lg.jpg

+ wing harness from:

fig1132flg.jpg

+ wings from:

fig0575flg.jpg

with the exception of archangel's wing harness, the rest are easy to source.

goggles wise, i'm not entirely against being damn lazy and using this matt murdock head

fig2520f3lg.jpg

this was the jack bauer hair + glasses i was/am considering

fig0416flg.jpg

or working out something with these and a hair piece (which would be the best possible solution for accuracy i think)

fig2647flg.jpgfig2647llg.jpg

30487374488_89b3bb2c14_b.jpg

30487374458_d1fa74d8c1_b.jpg

I'm sure these don't really qualify as customs, but got in the mood to make some Giant Man and Goliath cutouts.  Took pics of my mates, cleaned up Giant Man, and printed as 4x6.  Probably as good as I'm ever gonna get...

Might try 3x5 too and see how that looks.

On 8/29/2018 at 9:16 PM, montrossx said:

30487374488_89b3bb2c14_b.jpg

30487374458_d1fa74d8c1_b.jpg

I'm sure these don't really qualify as customs, but got in the mood to make some Giant Man and Goliath cutouts.  Took pics of my mates, cleaned up Giant Man, and printed as 4x6.  Probably as good as I'm ever gonna get...

Might try 3x5 too and see how that looks.

This is what I expected from Luke's Stature. They look great. I would only suggest that you then bind them to a foam core so you can attach a stand to the back and they can stand on their own.

On 8/30/2018 at 10:28 AM, MisterPL said:

I just came across this variant cover. Those costumes are in my Minimate collection's future.

I went through so many First Class box sets to get a full team of X-Men and don't get me started on Strike Force...  Those New Mutant body's though are harder to come by.

16 hours ago, thereasonsy said:

This is what I expected from Luke's Stature. They look great. I would only suggest that you then bind them to a foam core so you can attach a stand to the back and they can stand on their own.

I folded some tabs on the bottom of these so they actually stand pretty well.   If I had trimmed off all the white space though, they'd probably need some additional support.

• 2 weeks later...

I don’t think Chuck really gets how BAF are supposed to work. You make the BAF figure good so people buy figures they wouldn’t normally to complete it.

DST’s BAF figures so far are a lame kitbash and a minor character which is the least interesting minimate in the wave. I know they can’t make follow marvel legends and make large characters into large minimates because of the license restrictions but make them more appealing.

DST can make larger Minimates. They choose not to. Chuck doesn't want Minimates in different sizes for production reasons.

Some collectors are against it as well because they want all parts to be interchangeable. Different sizes would restrict that.

Personally I want a BAF of Wendigo on a 2.5" body.