mtd20_2000

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 hours ago, thereasonsy said:

Go in and delete doesn't work?

That would be excruciating. I have 990 attachments and this message: "You have used 63.82 MB of your 1000 kB attachment limit". I can only delete one attachment at a time and honestly, I wouldn't want to delete my custom designs as this is the only place they are all saved. I lost my own files years ago.

• 1 month later...

Not the greatest photo but here are my permanent mods towards my Avengers collection.

Not into painting or printing, mainly because if i say print Quasar's logo over the Mar-Vell torso, when they release an actual Quasar, I then won't be able to recycle the no longer useful Mar-Vell torso for say a Genis-Vell kitbash. i'm willing to overlook little things like the captain marvel symbol or doctor druid's lack of his insignia

the rubbish angle (i literally just threw them on my couch and took a photo) makes a lot of them look squatty.

tumblr_p0ckjel9Vg1tms107o1_1280.jpg

Doctor Druid - Mephisto body, Cloak cloak, CEO Tony stark head and hands.

U.S.Agent - a minor mod but an important one, the arms are from Guy Gardner Green Lantern - the original U.S.Agent minimate had white sleeves which is an artist mistake which was copied across by other artists a few times... the only reason he's not wearing his mask is because it doesn't go with my choice of cap (the slip cover mask from invaders boxset)

Rick Jones - this is basically just Predators Edwin with a Marty McFly head. It is perfect, anyone wanting a Rick Jones, go out and make this.

Black Knight - everyone thought to do the 90s Black Knight with the Cap Avengers jacket... but one thing they always overlook is when Dane wore the jacket, his greys had become a blue. So, i gave him Hobgoblin's legs. The arms work good too - we just need a cape in the same colour as his gloves and boots to complete the de-jacketed 90s look.

Wonder Man - a composite of the two available Wonder Man minimates. Torso, arms and belt from the one that comes with She-Hulk, everything else from the safari jacket one. This is actually one of my favourite Minimates now!

Hank Pym - really disappointed with this one... i mean, it's servicable but i just don't like it. It comes from two Walking Dead prisoners (coz there was no long sleeved ones with white chests) with a Hank Pym head.

Vision - the old Vision Minimate with an early Loki's parts. Bonus is you then have the Vision's phasing arms and legs you can interchange.

Thor - this was a nightmare to make. It looks simple but I got through so many different Thors before being able to make a bearded classic Thor (like in Simonson's run or Under Siege). It's Stormbreaker Thor's torso, arms and crotch, Heroes Return Thor's cape, helmet, belt and legs and Armored Thor's head. It took ages and I went through a lot of others that didn't work (Thunderstrike, 90s Thor, even using Armored Thor's head was because the heroes return one didn't sit on this torso) but i finally got my definitive Thor Minimate.

Quasar - this is just passable. Mar-Vell torso, Sentry cape and head, Marty McFly (the same as Rick's head) arms, AvX Cyclops' gauntlets, early Ultimate Spider-Man crotch and legs and Fighting Chance Captain America hair. I used to just use Mar-Vell's bracelets but I found the Cyke gauntlets look a bit closer to Quasar's quantum bands and it looks a bit more interesting.

Hawkeye - i didn't even make this, i ordered a Dark Hawkeye off ebay and got this... but hey, i really liked it. It combines parts from Dark Hawkeye and the first Hawkeye. It came with a worse head which I subbed for the Ben Grimm head. Now I'm pretty happy with this as a Hawkeye.

Henry Gyrich - due to unpopular demand, he is a great recipe for henry gyrich. Waldroff with the Mandroid head and Eddie brock hair. For bonus points, the Statler body is a Jarvis in the waiting...

I'll show my X-Men later... there's a lot less of them (because there's a lot more of them released)

Edited by AFMcGill

Those are great customs/modifications!

I hadn't realised how well Predators Topher Grace's parts worked for Rick. It makes me wish I'd picked one up when the Predator blind bags were collecting dust at my LCS.

Your kitbashed Vision looks good, but I wish DST would just release a new one.

That Thor is pretty much exactly what I was picturing in the Definitive Minimates thread (although my personal preference is clean-shaven and yellow boots/belt).

I've made a similar Gyrich, although mine is on a plain black suit body. The Waldorf base looks much better.

I need suggestions for making the perfect Pixie, using only existing parts (I hate painting/modding). Here are two pictures of my current prototype, but I know she could be better...

24273296_10155150240160753_2114849010_n.jpg?oh=0f76e6d8abd650fd8ca951b47c144a39&oe=5A2574A924282455_10155150240215753_622735301_n.jpg?oh=050f86378bc737560fa69478da84a8a5&oe=5A24B5E5

First one is Jewel Hair, Mantis Head, First Class Angel Harness, Nissa (Grimm Fairy Tales) Wings, First Appearance Jean Torso, Any Strike Force X-Man's Cuffs, Any Black Hands, Curse of the Mutants Wolverine's Belt and First Class Jean's legs.

Second is the same thing, but with First Class Jean's Torso instead of First Appearance Jean's Torso, just because it looks a little more modernized, while conveying the same basic look.

Took some cues from earlier Pixie Quick-Customs, but changed some things. HERE are the things I need suggestions on...

I want her to have Pixie's more modern black eyes, but that severely limits my head options. The only females I could find with Black Eyes were Mantis and some of the girls from Pathfinder, most of which have very pale skin and some of which have jewelery on their face, so they seem out. The pale skin might work (especially because Pixie has somewhat pale skin, and is sort of fae looking), but I can't see where the face jewelry ever would. In any event, I don't own any pathfinder mates, so I can't try any out. Mantis' expression is a little more sullen than I'd prefer, I'd prefer a smilier face. Anyone know of any other black-eyed ladies?

Wings there are tons of options. I know some people use Theater Ghost's Pink wings, but I don't currently own him, so I'd need to order one. That said, Pixie's wings have been drawn anywhere from white, pink, green to rainbow, so I don't think Nissa's green ones look terrible. I also tried Ant-thony's clear ones, which I kinda liked, as it kept them more neutral.

I went with the strike force cuffs because I thought the straps made her look more modern and less retro. That said, the yellow isn't a perfect match for the belt & legs.

The irony is the torsos aren't a perfect match for the belt and legs either, and the torso and legs all came off the same two Jeans! Haha. Sometimes a lighter coat of yellow (like the torsos) doesn't match a thick one (like on the boots) even on the same minimate. So I don't know that the cuffs are a huge deal. All things considered.

The ONLY ONLY Belt I could find that was close to right was Curse of the Mutants Wolverine. Pixie has a yellow belt, with a round red X in the middle... I could only find TWO yellow belts with Round Red X's, Wolverine, and Astonishing Kitty Pryde, and Kitty's belt was way too Orange to ever be a good match. That said, Wolverine's isn't perfect either. The X could be bigger and bolder, but damned if I could find another option with a yellow belt/red X. (You'd think there would be more).

I'm not in love with the boots/legs... but I want her to have knee-high yellow boots, and that's the best I could find scrounging through my X-Men. I'd prefer something a little clunkier, that looks like it has kneepads, and matches the gloves better (Sort of like Ultimate Storm's boots, but less out-dated, and less orange).

Not sure which Torso I like better, but I think I lean toward first class. (Again, just makes her look less retro. I'd like her to look modern, as Pixie isn't a retro character.)

SO... all that said, any thoughts?

Edited by Gillbob316

Honestly, they both look great. I'd be happy with either (and may steal the recipe for myself - or at least get the First Class boxset for fodder for the New X-Men characters). For the boots, you could use the straps from the Strike Force to top them off? Or make them seem a bit shorter or a bit longer...

I was going to suggest the laughing Mantis decal that Luke made for those who bought 2 sets of GotGv.2 from him.

I use the Jewel head for my Pixie.  All my New X-Men customs use the First Class bodies as they are an almost perfect replica of the suits the students got during Messiah Complex. Another option for the gauntlets I've found is the ones from Sam Alexander Nova that work pretty well. I really wish the photo system didn't stink on here... I need to get around to posting pictures of what I have put together for customs at some point.

My X-Men modifications. Thought I had a lot more but the others are mostly just head swaps or on New Mutants / Strike Force bodies.

tumblr_p0fovvCweE1tms107o1_1280.jpg

Cannonball - his X-Men costume, this is the Capullo X-Force boxset Cable torso and belt, with 90s Cyclops arms, crotch and legs and finally a Danny Rand head. It really annoys me the boot straps aren't lined up in this photo.

Angel - I'm sure all those people desperate to complete their X-Factor team with X-Factor Angel will be mortified to learn that I am wasting mine on making this red suit Angel. It's Champions Angel with the arms and legs from X-Factor Angel. The different shade of red isn't as noticeable as in this photo. I'm looking to get the old blue skinned Angel with metal wings to see if I can make the red version of that look (which he also wore).

i probably should've included my Joseph... which is just a Strike Force body with a Magneto head and Nitro hair or my Legion which is just a New Mutants body with Pyro head and Ghostbusters Gozer hair. Oh well.

Next maybe my villains bag or misc heroes or cosmic, we'll see

Edited by AFMcGill

I need to make that Cannonball... The thought never really crossed my mind honestly, since I'm more or less happy with Liefield Cannnonball as my go-to Cannonball, but I do love a good X-Men costume, and I never considered how easy he was to make from that Cable.

I've honestly considered making that or similar Angels, but I'm more or less happy with the Blue Version, of that costume, which is a factory minimate we already have. I prefer the blue version, in all honesty. I wouldn't mind making an update of the blue version with metal wings/blue skin though (I realize that minimate exists, but it looks hideous and dated)

My customization tends to focus on characters I don't have, over costume variants of characters I do have.

Honestly, I should really buy some spare Strike Force mates, because I could probably make a half decent Joseph and Cecelia easily enough too. I bought two waves worth at the time they were released just to make the included head swaps. I didn't want to drop the money on more at the time. But now that some time has passed, I could talk myself into it, haha.

Edited by Gillbob316

3 hours ago, Freaqualizer said:

@Heinousthat Bug is awesome! I put that helmet and hulk head on an Invaders Bucky body and it looks great. The added tentacles and arm details make that badass! 

I’ve seen people say the Marv head makes for a great Tombstone and indeed it does. I’ll need to pick one of those up.

Thanks alot, I knew if I did bug, he'd have to have the tentacle things 

5 hours ago, Heinous said:

I've been making some customs from the 2008 guardians of the galaxy series, I can't find a reliable hosting source though. If you wanna see them check out my Instagram heinousfigures. Currently I've made starlord, Moondragon, groot, gamora and 90% of bug

These are stunning! It's so funny that you can view them here:

can't use the insert other media feature.  Either way great job!

7 hours ago, Gillbob316 said:

Honestly, I should really buy some spare Strike Force mates, because I could probably make a half decent Joseph and Cecelia easily enough too. I bought two waves worth at the time they were released just to make the included head swaps. I didn't want to drop the money on more at the time. But now that some time has passed, I could talk myself into it, haha.

I bought so many of them my friends and family wanted to send me to rehab but I had to have a complete Strike Force including in Colossus, X-Factor, the Muir Island X-Men, Joey, Cecilia, Kitty... It's a lot. I posted it on the FB group but this doesn't want to pull it in since the group is locked. If you are a member there it should work.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10156360519815278&set=g.126466200854109&type=1&theater&ifg=1

Edited by thereasonsy

Very clever use of the HYDRA Elite mask for Bug. I would have never thought of that but it's genius. Not to keen on the Moondragon head, she's meant to be sexy! Here's a bald female head that might work better. But, I've got my AOA Rogue head eyed as a potential Moondragon head if I ever get around to making her

It's inexcusable we haven't had any of those Guardians (or any comic Guardians really). i was thinking about getting a bunch of Champions Ghost Rider's to use as a male Guardians body (they had the blue and white stripes in Annihilation Conquest) but i've never committed to it because making a Star-lord is a problem since all the movie Star-Lord Minimates have the right mask but hair showing.

Edited by AFMcGill

8 hours ago, thereasonsy said:

These are stunning! It's so funny that you can view them here:can't use the insert other media feature.  Either way great job!

Thanks for posting that, I didn't (and still don't) know how to do that. @thereasonsyisn't that ghost rider kinda pricey, though? Fun fact, I did use that figure as the inspiration when I was painting overdrive 

4 hours ago, Heinous said:

Thanks for posting that, I didn't (and still don't) know how to do that. @thereasonsyisn't that ghost rider kinda pricey, though? Fun fact, I did use that figure as the inspiration when I was painting overdrive 

Oh no worries, it's pretty easy. just go to Instagram.com/ the user name. Pick the image and then copy and paste the URL into the post. It works on all of the public accounts.

On 10/20/2017 at 7:57 PM, Chazwinski said:

That would be excruciating. I have 990 attachments and this message: "You have used 63.82 MB of your 1000 kB attachment limit". I can only delete one attachment at a time and honestly, I wouldn't want to delete my custom designs as this is the only place they are all saved. I lost my own files years ago.

Have you tried linking from your Instagram?

3 hours ago, Chazwinski said:

I don't have Instagram. I generally get on Minimates Multiverse on my laptop when I'm off work.

Ah I hear you. Once I realized we could do link in here from Instagram I started a new account so I could post photos again.