UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Modifying Marvel Minimates

mtd20_2000

I've been trying to put together a Toro minimate but just can't seem to find the right head. I'm talkin' about the Golden Age partner to the original Human Torch.

I'm fine with re-using the Torch's body from the Invaders set but don't want to re-use the same head. Also, the new FF Torch doesn't seem to fit either. Does anybody have any ideas?

One thing you might want to try is get a silver Minimate and color it with a red Sharpie. I've found that using Sharpies on silver parts gives them a cool sheen that differs from the normal Minimate. It tends to look metallic, but it might just work for fire, especially with some Human Torch fire bits added. The first Silver Surfer would probably work the best. Worth a shot, at least.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My problem with sharpie coloring is that it tends to rub off, though. I used to be real big on doing that in the early days of minimates but now pretty much only use them for little details, such as coloring the lines on a mask from where I cut the face-part away so that it wouldn't be completely slip-on.

I finally got my camera cord out of some random box.

Here are a few pictures of a couple modified minimates(all iron man)

The first Modified Iron man takes the body armor from the first Iron man film, the arms, legs and helmet of the Iron man Mark VI from the second film.

I feel this relates to the Original look of Iron man with the yellowish/goldish arms and legs with a red body.

Silver Centurion was always one of my favorite armors as a child, I of course picked up both minimate versions. The first release is my favorite. Theres something perfect about its simplicity that I view the recent release as kind of a waste. But that of course is my opinion, maybe not yours

Im a huge fan of the film release Iron man minimates, and I really wanted a Silver Centurion that follows the same technic look as the films. I took the armor and crotch piece of the Silver Centurion of the recent wave, hands and feet of Mark IV from the second film, femurs and arms from War Machine, body of Mark VI, and head and helmet from Mark V. I used one of the extra opened masks and applied a silver enamel paint to the face plate, knees and upper cuffs of the hands.

*Note, I accidentally scratched the left knee.

On another note, If anyone could help me with making my images as small tabs rather than links would be great.

this_one.tiff

this_one_2.tiff

and_this_on3.tiff

post-3657-1290368163_thumb.jpg

post-3657-1290368179_thumb.jpg

post-3657-1290368203_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sugolf

• 3 weeks later...

Got some new kitbashed Mates to show off:

GiantSizeX-MenRedux.jpg

My Giant-Size X-Men-ish group.

Here's what I used:

Cyclops - 90s Cyclops head, chest, arms, legs. SDCC Cyclops Visor. 90s Wolverine belt. Silver Age Cyclops gloves and boots.

Colossus - Just added classic Iron Man's wrist bands.

Shadowcat - Took off her collar and arms. Gave her 90s Beast's arms.

Wolverine - Secret Invasion Wolverine head and body with 90s Wolverine mask.

Phoenix - SDCC Phoenix body, 90s Rogue head, 90s Jean Grey hair

Storm - Giant-Size Storm's hair, cape, legs. Mohawk Storm's arms, head and bracelets. Gave her random black hands for gloves. I switch out a black chest with Mohawk Storm's sometimes.

Now all I need to get is Nightcrawler and Xavier. :P

I made a similar Cyclops, using the AoA body as a base. The only difference is that it doesn't have the yellow paint at the top of his legs for the trunks. It always bugged me that Cyclops had painted-on buccaneer boots.

Phoenix looks nice, if a little comics-inaccurate. She never looked that happy in the Dark Phoenix getup!

here are a few modifications I've made

Doom's boots copied from SouthFLGuy... Loki update (with Lady Loki waist piece and a little paint update) influenced by Brad Redfield's version on the previous page... Domino got more weapons and a more contemporary hairpiece (repainted Rachel Grey, copied from TENIME's custom)... gave Spider-Woman TrU Namor's 'wing' pieces, and a quick repaint.

DSC00571.jpg

DSC00572.jpg

Any idea of a part update for Loki's chestpiece without the use of paint? I'd love to have a newer version but just can't paint. Any ideas anybody?

I was just reading an article on MvC3 about the alternative costumes/colours, and saw this: http://fast1.onesite.com/fans.marvel.com/u...2a.jpg?v=129600

Not made it (yet) but I personally like it and thought I'd post it here.

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone tried putting Moon Knight's cape on Astonishing Emma Frost? I was really dissapointed she didnt have a cape, but I still don't have a Moon Knight to test it with.

From page 6:

http://www.minimatemultiverse.com/index.ph...st&p=167293

:thumbsup:

Haha, I swear I even went back and checked out all the pages. Must have missed that post.

The cape looks good, It's a shame the original hairpiece doesn't work though, I mean I thought it looked very "Emma."

• 3 weeks later...
What DST should have done with 6 arm Spidey:

post-560-1296273939_thumb.jpg

BS

Beautiful!

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who thinks they should have gone that route. When I asked about it in the Q&A, they said they take that approach in order to keep the integrity of the basic minimate body (which is cool, because it can definitely be a slippery road... though I wouldn't say they've been consistent *coughSalaakcoughHalo*). And on top of that, I can see it being a big plus with kids. I know I loved switching parts with that toys I had when I was little so that I could have He Man with Superman's cape, etc.

That being said... certain add-ons just don't work as add-ons. BS, I absolutely love how you tweaked this Spidey mate :thumbsup:

QUOTE (Donny B @ Jan 28 2011, 10:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

BS

Beautiful!

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who thinks they should have gone that route. When I asked about it in the Q&A, they said they take that approach in order to keep the integrity of the basic minimate body (which is cool, because it can definitely be a slippery road... though I wouldn't say they've been consistent *coughSalaakcoughHalo*). And on top of that, I can see it being a big plus with kids. I know I loved switching parts with that toys I had when I was little so that I could have He Man with Superman's cape, etc.

That being said... certain add-ons just don't work as add-ons. BS, I absolutely love how you tweaked this Spidey mate :thumbsup:

When they make sculpted heads like the Leader that "basic integrity" bit just doesn't wash with me. And if they were that worried about people not enjoying a 6-armed Spidey, they could include a regular torso with it. Not like they don't do that with other figures at times. And the plus is, your multiple-armed figure doesn't look chunkier than it oughta. Spidey isn't a wide dude, nor is Spiral. But that add on bit makes 'em look that way, y'know?

Ah, bitch bitch... that's me. I'm very happy we got a 6-armed Spidey, though. A Morbius... now THAT I'll bitch about. ;)

BS

Looks great!

BS, I absolutely love how you tweaked this Spidey mate :thumbsup:

Me too. But, how exactly did you tweak him? Did you glue the pegs on to his sides? If so, what type of glue did you use? I bought an extra and want to try making him look... right.

BS, I absolutely love how you tweaked this Spidey mate :thumbsup:

Me too. But, how exactly did you tweak him? Did you glue the pegs on to his sides? If so, what type of glue did you use? I bought an extra and want to try making him look... right.

I just cut the pegs off the harness with an exacto blade and glued them onto the sides of Spidey with some Gorilla Glue, it's like super glue only better IMO.

BS

Edited by blacksun1520

An amazing modification BS. Do the glued on knobs have a tendancy to snap off?

Not at all actually. I scored the torso with the exacto in the spots where I was going to glue them, and the ends of the pegs to help create a more secure bond. I only waited 3 minutes or so before putting the arms on, and they move around great with no flex at all in the pegs.

BS