UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Modifying Marvel Minimates

mtd20_2000

If there is already a thread about this subject then I apologize in advance to the moderators and ask that it be moved to where it should go (I have seen threads about customizing and compatibility, but not modifying).

I admit that I am not talented enough to customize minimates, but I have found ways around this, mainly by modifying certain figures that I feel are dated by using parts from other minimates. The other day I was thinking that there is not a thread for Marvel minimate collectors to bounce around ideas about how to improve our mates. I figured I would start the ball rolling on this. Since some members have already commented on the modifications I have done to my Fantastic Four minimates, I will begin with them.

Invisible Woman:

I mainly used a SCE Susan Richards, with the right arm from a wave 8 Invisible Woman variant, and an AFX Defenders box set Valkyrie head, with a SCE Dark Avengers box set Ms. Marvel hairpiece.

Mr. Fantastic:

I mainly used a SCE Mr. Fantastic without the lab coat (to get the black boots and belt), with a DST Dark Avengers box set Captain Marvel head, and a TRU exclusive stretch attack Mr. Fantastic hairpiece, with Mr. Fantastic wave 8 stretchy arms.

Human Torch:

The legs and midsection are from a SCE Johnny Storm (mainly to match my Invisible Woman), and the arms, body, neck flame, flame hairpiece, and fireball are from a DST Invaders box set Human Torch, with the head and fire blast from a wave 8 Torch.

Thing:

The legs and arms are from a SCE Thing, with a powerhouse Thing body and midsection, and a clobberin’ time Thing head (the oversized fists were taken from which ever Thing minimate had the best paint job).

I will occasionally post other modifications that I have done to my collection and encourage others to post pictures and give ideas as to how we can improve our minimates. Hopefully, this will be a useful reference tool for all of us.

post-2109-1274327160.jpg

Edited by mtd20_2000

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is my own somewhat crappy attempt at "modifying" a Minimate:

th_GEDC0758.jpg

Basically the Black Queen's lack of a rose really bothered me, so I tried improvising one of my own using some superglue and ribbon rose technique. (Note to self: next time use a much thinner ribbon, lest the rose keeps looking like an absurdly large, tacky brooch.)

I've recently begun looking at obtaining spare parts and hope to make similar tweaks in the future. I just never seem to get the right inspuration.

I managed to get my hands on a spare Movie Black Widow and gave the "web shooters" to Scarlet. He already looks a lot better (will post a picture later). I also picked up a cheap Ronin and ordered a spare Movie Deadpool from a Canadian eBay seller, with the intention of giving Ronin the two katanas. I've also toyed with getting a spare Reborn Thor and give him a pair of Fantastic Four gloves to match his more current look.

glad you started this thread mtd! gives me a place to let you know i spent a long time looking at your collection picks the other day... and have copied your Hulk and Iceman's belt mods (though i used X-Factor Iceman, having removed the silly looking 'X').

I rarely, if ever do straight part swaps to improve mates, unless it's something like swapping to matching C3 feet. I do, however like to make ''definitive' versions, e.g. my movie Sandman just sadly sits in a bag, in a box... complaining about his hard life, so i gave his fancy sand arms to his comic counterpart... having painted the sleeves to match, as well as giving him a pretty little belt

oh... i'd copy that Thing of yours as well, if I'd seen it before the new version was announced... a very impressive display you have

Thanks for the kind words guys, I appreciate it.

Nice rose NorthRaider, did you make that yourself?

Good idea to use Deadpools katana’s with Ronin pawcanada, I think I will have to use that idea!

Thanks for the praise Killek, though I hope they can improve on the Human Torch, maybe something around the lines of the AFX X-Factor box set Iceman, but obviously in red (I agree with bobafett that the AFX X-Factor box set Iceman is the best version).

I debated moving him to my front line, but for now just kept him in line with my other X-Factor mates.

Edited by mtd20_2000

Basically the Black Queen's lack of a rose really bothered me, so I tried improvising one of my own using some superglue and ribbon rose technique. (Note to self: next time use a much thinner ribbon, lest the rose keeps looking like an absurdly large, tacky brooch.)

The rose itself, despite being a little large, actually looks really good!

Nice rose NorthRaider, did you make that yourself?

Yup, it took me a while to get a good-looking one while using these instructions, but after a few tries I finally wound up with a decent mini-rose. Then it turns out the ribbon I used was a bit too wide. <_<

Oh well, something to remember once I get started on Selene's rose.

When Lady Loki was first announced, I was thinking, Lady Loki? What about an updated Loki?

Anyways, once I acquired the minimate, I thought about combining it with a wave 16 Loki in hopes of upgrading the figure. At first, I figured I would not be able to do this successfully because of the differences in color, but one I modified the character it seemed to blend in quite nicely (or at least update it significantly).

Loki:

I used the legs, midsection, and arms from the lady Loki and simply attached them to the wave 16 Loki. I feel you barely see the color differential and it works quite well (IMO).

post-2109-1274467513.jpg

post-2109-1274467535.jpg

For anyone wanting to add an Ultimate Colossus or a New X-Men Storm (like the one in the Darktide DVD) to their collection, here is a quick fix.

Ultimate Colossus:

Use a wave 3 Cyclops legs, midsection, and body with a wave 7 Silver Surfer’s arms, and a wave 13 Colossus’s head.

New X-Men Storm:

Use a wave 6 Phoenix’s legs, midsection, body, arms, and jacket with a wave 3 Storm’s head.

post-2109-1274648302.jpg

post-2109-1274648326.jpg

New X-Men Storm:

Use a wave 6 Phoenix’s legs, midsection, body, arms, and jacket with a wave 3 Storm’s head.

I did this to my Storm a while ago, albeit for different reasons:

228431335_63cffb7fb3_o.jpg

I tagged this as one of the deleted scenes from X3. :lol:

Based on the suggestion of one of the board members, I took one of Bucky-Cap's red wristbands and added it to Red Skull's left arm to make him more Nazi-riffic.

I then had the idea to use an x-acto blade to trim the hair, ears, and peg from Blackhawk's hat to make a great-looking Nazi Skull. A little black marker on the exposed white plastic of the hat (post-trimming) adds the finishing touch.

I gave Spider-Woman both Black Bolt's wings...

That's a good idea :D. Fingers crossed I should be getting a dupe Black Bolt in a few days time, so I might have to borrow that idea ;)

I replaced Thor Reborn's head with Ultimate Thor's... it's not comic accurate or anything, but I think it's more 'mythologically accurate' to have a Thor with a beard.

In the myths I think Thor has red hair... Better break out that Sharpie...

The simplest improvement I've done is to put Pepper pots hair from the first movie on Ms Marvel, for such a small swap it makes a big difference to the figure imo.

A quick question for those who like to hot swap, do you also keep a figure " as published" for collection purposes?

T.

The simplest improvement I've done is to put Pepper pots hair from the first movie on Ms Marvel, for such a small swap it makes a big difference to the figure imo.

A quick question for those who like to hot swap, do you also keep a figure " as published" for collection purposes?

T.

Pepper Potts?? Really?? Huh...i dunno...the "strawberry" blonde doesn't seem right for Carol. :confused: I'm a huge Ms Marvel fan, and i think she's always been more straight blonde than anything.

I know i gave her TRU BSG Kara's hair. BIG improvement.

And nope, when i swap it's only that one. If i wanted one as-is, i wouldn't have fixed it in the first place!! :P

Depends on how big a change I make. For the Astonishing X-Men, all the paint apps I added go on the figure, whereas the part swapping I did to make a definitive Thing created a new figure to stand beside the versions they produced for us (so far).