UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Liney's Designs & Customs - She-Hulk advice

Ahoy people!

Wanted to start designing some minimates, and after flicking through Marvel Zombies 3 I really wanted a Jocasta minimate, so I started with her.

I found a lot of conflicting images, some showed rivets at the top of her gloves, eyes brows, boots and chest, others didn't, some showed bands round her wrists. In the end I just took what looked good to me.

post-3031-1274307731_thumb.jpg

Feedback welcome!

Marvel

Absorbing Man Basic Powered Up

Destiny

Enchantress

Flatman

Jack Of Hearts

Jocasta V2 Finished Custom

Living Laser

Machine Man

Medusa V1 V2

Meggan

Mobius

Mockingbird

Power Man

Storm FA X-Factor Finished Custom

Snowbird

Titania

Wizard

Star Trek

Borg Queen

Guardian Of Forever

Seven Of Nine Silver V1 Starfleet and TOS V2

TOS Bridge WIP

TOS Crew fixes Kirk, Scotty, Sulu, Uhura

TOS Transporter Room Mock Up Finished

Other

Frankenfurter (RHPS)

Kabuki

Magdalena

Scarab (Kabuki character)

Soon I Will Be Invincible

Doctor Impossible

Galetea

Edited by Liney

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They both look AMAZING :D. Great job on the designs. Hopefuly DST will use your designs when they eventually make those two ;)

Quick question - I've toyed with designing my own minimates as well. I was wondering if you used a template or if you did the base from scratch.

Second design finished, she not as shiny/shaded as Jocasta, but I don't think she needs to be..

Classic Mockingbird

post-3031-1274373196_thumb.jpg

Less classic Mockingbird

post-3031-1274377751_thumb.jpg

They both look AMAZING :D. Great job on the designs. Hopefuly DST will use your designs when they eventually make those two ;)

Quick question - I've toyed with designing my own minimates as well. I was wondering if you used a template or if you did the base from scratch.

Thanks, I must confess I used the template available in the customising tips topic.

Edited by Liney

Seems to be a lot of love for the Inhumans, especially with Lockjaw on the way, so here's Medusa.

Just the basic mate here, got a few ideas on how her powers could be mateyfied which I'm in the process of drawing.

Enjoy!

post-3031-1275089824_thumb.jpg

Designs for Medusa's hair are taking longer than expected, so I would like you guys opinions on which ones would work best out of the following:

1. A stand which the regular hair piece slots into, which would hold her up as well as having some sculpted tendrils of hair to hold stuff/other minimates.

2. Additional hair pieces, sculpted in various poses (relaxed, grabbing etc) which would peg into the main hairpiece on either side of her face.

3. Same as above, but bendy, like Mr Fantastic's arms.

Your Medusa art is quite neat indeed :D I certainly wouldn't be averse to DST making the mate of her look just like your design.

To pipe in on how to execute her hair, a bendy pieve kinda like Mr. Fantastic's arms would be cool though for some reason I doubt DST would possess the "tech" necessary to make it feasible.

Suggestions 1 and 2 might be slightly more likely, though with #2 I think it'd be more plausible to just outright make whole new hair sculpts with the requisite alternate poses to maximize Medusa's "display options."

Just my two cents ;)

Your Medusa art is quite neat indeed :D I certainly wouldn't be averse to DST making the mate of her look just like your design.

To pipe in on how to execute her hair, a bendy pieve kinda like Mr. Fantastic's arms would be cool though for some reason I doubt DST would possess the "tech" necessary to make it feasible.

Suggestions 1 and 2 might be slightly more likely, though with #2 I think it'd be more plausible to just outright make whole new hair sculpts with the requisite alternate poses to maximize Medusa's "display options."

Just my two cents ;)

I'm inclined to agree with you on those points, the fully sculpted, posed hairpiece seems like the best option, but I would like to try and keep as much oh her articulation as free as possible.

• 3 weeks later...

Moving away from comics for a while, I wanted to round out my Star Trek mates.

Presenting Seven of Nine, Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix Zero-One, who doesn't really round out any crew, as they never got as far as Voyager...

post-3031-1276965314_thumb.jpg

Edited by Liney

Good likeness of Jeri Ryan. :)

Thanks, to be fair the borg implants and skin tight suit do half the job :D

Btw I came across some of your work on deviantart the other day.

I know, I designed hundreds of minimates and finally ran out of ideas. I usually refrained from putting the Marvel ones on deviantart... I just had too many. I haven't been on deviantart in a while. It gave my computer a virus despite my anti-virus programs! It upset me because I loved browsing that site, but now I'm scared of it.

I was looking in the differences in our approach to these and I really like the crispness of your lines (around the eyes and mouths for example). The subtle shading in yours impressed me too. Sometimes, I would do that and other times, not. It just depended on the character or my mood.

The shading is the bane of my existence, I did it on Jocasta, as otherwise she would have been very bland, and now feel I should do it on all of them. The trouble is it takes a while and I get tired of it half way through.

I always like how your designs were more organic and flowing, particularly the hair, as opposed to my chunky, block style.

Oh, no. I like the differences. Your hairpieces are probably much more feasible and what they might really look like...and I wouldn't really call them chunky. They look great!

Anyhow, glad you're having fun. I got badly addicted to doing these, last year.

Back to Marvel again, seeing a lot of love for Excalibur recently, so here's Meggan to finish off the team, to the best of my knowledge...

post-3031-1277075044_thumb.jpg

And her simpler, earlier costume

post-3031-1277491436_thumb.jpg

PS. the shiny and blocky hair is just for you Chaz...

Edited by Liney

post-3031-1277075044_thumb.jpg

Very VERY nice work! I seriously hope we see one of these made soon. It'd be great to finally finish of an X-Team. We're getting close to Finishing of a 90's X-Men Blue team (Jubilee should do it) & a 90's X-Men Gold team (Xavier & Bishop will round Gold out - although an updated 90's Colossus would be nice too).

I hope that a) we get a Meggan soon and B) that she looks as good as your design. Your attention to detail is great. I love that you have given her the little pointy cuffs that come down onto the hand piece like Supergirl had :)

• 3 weeks later...

Moving away form comics for a bit, here's Tim Curry as Frankenfurter, from the Rocky Horror Picture Show...

He doesn't have all the shading I normally go for, got a bit too distracting for my taste, and i'm feeling lazy.

post-3031-1278441148_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Been watching Star Trek Voyager again, so here are two more of my favourite character, Seven Of Nine.

One i her in an official uniform, while the other is her in a TOS uniform, like in Trials and Tribblelations from Deep Space 9.

post-3031-1280700968_thumb.jpg

post-3031-1280701081_thumb.jpg

More Borg!

This time the Borg Queen, she's a bit of a mixture of different images, as there doesn't seem to be a definitive look for her.

*Back design added...if anyone ones to create some decals from them I won't complain, hint hint*

post-3031-1281120023_thumb.jpg post-3031-1281554804_thumb.jpg

Edited by Liney