UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

What will the AFX & SDCC exclusive multipacks be??

fwoosheyman

Both of those sets make me happy since I'm late getting into collecting these lines. However, retro Cable I already have, and he looks better than this one. Deadpool makes me spectacularly happy for not caving into the outrageous eBay prices.

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, continuity hounds, correct me if I'm wrong, but that's not the costume Cable wore in X-Force, is it? The one we just got in wave 31 was the X-Force costume; this appears to be the one he wore in the last few issues of The New Mutants, right?

Yup, technically a New Mutants box set as all of these characters first appeared in the tail end of that series.

Cable - NM #87

Deadpool/Domino (as Copycat impersonating her)- NM #98

Feral - NM #99

I'll get it. I'm a Minimate Completist.

But I was hoping for Liefeld costume designs - not based on his art. None of the Jim Lee ones look like he drew them, why are these styled after Rob's?

Cable & Deadpool make it harder to ever complete the team. Like it was mentioned earlier, the con exclusives have characters that aren't the standard "big sellers", so why we need to waste half a box set, I have no idea.

There's no way now that we're ever going to get all of Cannonball, Shatterstar, Siryn, Sunspot, Rictor, and Boom-Boom. Heck, right there's another 4-pack & a 2-pack.

*sigh* :(

Okay, continuity hounds, correct me if I'm wrong, but that's not the costume Cable wore in X-Force, is it? The one we just got in wave 31 was the X-Force costume; this appears to be the one he wore in the last few issues of The New Mutants, right?

Correct. Take a look at the following cover to see early Cable in all his Lifeldian glory! Marvel at how well everyone's feet are hidden!

post-66-1275406568_thumb.jpg

And gaze at the first appearance of Deadpool and Domino! Check out Deadpool's swashbuckling gloves! Gawk at how they made Domino's hair style look so bad in Minimate form!

post-66-1275406575_thumb.jpg

I'm on board for both of these sets. Cable and Deadpool are a bit redundant, I guess. DP was a pretty big seller, so it kind of makes sense for him to anchor this set and serve a second chance. And it seems weird to have X-Force without Cable, but hopefully there will be more New Mutant and X-Force love soon.

But I was hoping for Liefeld costume designs - not based on his art. None of the Jim Lee ones look like he drew them, why are these styled after Rob's?

Well, Jim Lee's style, while recognizable, was fairly innocuous; there weren't a lot of telltale characteristics in facial features that would translate to the tampos on Minimates. Some of the shading on the 90's mates we've gotten is fairly Lee-esque.

Liefield art, on the other hand, is like a parody of itself. Squinty eyes, pursed lips, ridiculously creased muscles; there's a lot there that no other self-respecting artist would do to faces, so it's immediately recognizable.

There's no way now that we're ever going to get all of Cannonball, Shatterstar, Siryn, Sunspot, Rictor, and Boom-Boom. Heck, right there's another 4-pack & a 2-pack.

Well, I hope we'll see at least a couple of those in a second box set, if there is to be one. However, the AFX set has a grand total of one new piece (Domino's hair), so a set with any of the other characters mentioned is going to need a lot of new sculpting – Cannonball's hair/goggles, blast field stand; Shatterstar's hair, shoulderpad/cape, double-bladed sword (unless they punk out and give him Deadpool's wimpy katanas); Siryn's cape/wings. I guess Sunspot and Rictor could be done with a minimum of parts. I'm a little skeptical DST is going to front the money for a whole lot of new sculpting if a second set is in the works...

Or maybe DST's set will be more Ghostbusters. :P

Hopefully we can put the speculation to rest soon.

Well, I hope we'll see at least a couple of those in a second box set, if there is to be one. However, the AFX set has a grand total of one new piece (Domino's hair), so a set with any of the other characters mentioned is going to need a lot of new sculpting – Cannonball's hair/goggles, blast field stand; Shatterstar's hair, shoulderpad/cape, double-bladed sword (unless they punk out and give him Deadpool's wimpy katanas); Siryn's cape/wings. I guess Sunspot and Rictor could be done with a minimum of parts. I'm a little skeptical DST is going to front the money for a whole lot of new sculpting if a second set is in the works...

I would not be surprised to see some of the missing members show up in TRU 2-packs.

I already started customizing a Cannonball...using Invaders Torch lower half, Iron Man blast base, and Torch's neck flame between the torso & crotch works beautifully. Would it be nice to have something new & unique? Yeah. Is it necessary? I don't think so.

shrugshoulders.gif

Do any of you remember when Cable's first New Mutants appearance went for crazy money? Like, $100 back in 1993 dollars? Insane. I remember a friend trying to trade me that for my first appearance of Gambit a couple years later, but I was too savvy. I knew Cable was lame and would soon be forgotten forever. Little did I know that Gambit was also incredibly lame, and beyond that, that 15 years later, both would apparently be very popular. . .

So Cable and Gambit are lame? Crap does anyone know anything about tattoo removal?

I suggest a bottle of tequila and a skinning knife! :blink::)

I must admit I dont find the set exciting, 90's cable so soon after the other one is kind of insulting and the others are ho hum characters that I'm not really worried about, I guess I'll wait til AFX express packs this with a bunch of others.

T.

I already started customizing a Cannonball...using Invaders Torch lower half, Iron Man blast base, and Torch's neck flame between the torso & crotch works beautifully. Would it be nice to have something new & unique? Yeah. Is it necessary? I don't think so.

shrugshoulders.gif

I definitely wanna see the end result when finished!!!

It's going to be interesting to see just how many of the accessories from the prior releases of Cable and Deadpool will be included. Even though I'm not really a Deadpool fan, mine come incomplete and DST never helped me get the rest of his pieces. The Cable ones make sense most likely because who else are we going to see those guns with?

I'm a little sad that it's not the Inhumans or something like the Wrecking Crew (or the classic Thunderbolts for crying out loud) but Deadpool is apparently the single most popular minimate EVER so I imagine they're trying to lure people who bought him casually into purchasing more items in the line and trapping those who missed him into purchasing this set.

The GB box is actually pretty exciting to me, but I'd follow this license to the ends of the earth. It does pose a good question though: what movie property is there for DST to move on to? They moved through Terminator pretty quick and though BTTF looks like it may get some reissues neither of these have come close to how many releases the GB minimates got (admittedly they didn't have a videogame to help promote them but still...)

Edited by lemonfreshviper22

Wow! No Cannonball or Shatterstar...? Cannonball, Shatterstar, Domino, and Feral I would have considered getting. I really had no plans for getting this set but not including those two seals it... Guess maybe a two pack is in the works?

I really dont give a fig about Ghostbusters but its cool they are filling in the gaps with that box. I bet it will sell better than the X-Force set.

The Deadpool alone makes the set worthwhile, considering how outrageously expensive the wave 28 Deadpool/Wolverine 2-pack currently sells for online.

The wave 28 Deadpool sells for a lot because it is really cool looking. This new Deadpool... ehhhh not so much.

x-force minimates?

90swkid.jpg

Wow. A Linkara reference. XD

Seriously though, why do we need another Cable so soon? Anyone probably getting it already knows he's the leader of X-Force in the 90s enough to have gotten the one from the 2-packs... I want to see Shatterstar, Cannonball, Boom Boom, and other members whom haven't gotten minimated yet!

I would have even loved to see a Stryfe...

But if they're using a lot of recycled parts, I'd imagine Stryfe would require a number of new pieces. *sigh*