UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

What will the AFX & SDCC exclusive multipacks be??

fwoosheyman

Aha! A gaggle of Linkara fans in a thread! I love you. :)

Funny thing was that right after this set was announced I had this bizarre compulsion to watch his Cable #1 review one more time.

Again, Rob Liefeld = Gurgh.

That review... is the best thing EVER!!!

ugh that guys speech impediment drove me nuts. swallow your spit dude

Edited by murderofcrows

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This Deadpool looks pretty bad, hope he ends up looking a bit better(but it's Liefield's 98 Deadpool, so I can't expect too much). Cable is incredibly underwhelming and bland, but I'll certainly get it for Domino and Feral.

Also, a MAJOR issues I've been seeing with Marvel Mates: Consistency! One moment the slip over masks are being used, the next moment they aren't, it either makes one mates' head look shrunken(another issue with paint-app masks is that even when near a mate' with a wig their head still looks small), or the other head too large. I'd personally have LOVED people like Scorpion, Anti-Venom, Gargan, and others to have had the mask so their heads didn't look dwarfed compared to Spideys, Captain America, Deadpool, etc. And this doesn't even just have to do with masks, it can also be the powerhouse bodies, the new sculpted ones, the IM2 roach-shell body, duck feet, all that. Now the main reason I bring this up now is because of this certain Deadpool. He could look so much better with the use of a mask, just so his head didn't look tiny as hell. Seriously, DST should get this issue resolved godspeed. And yes, for the record I realize how whiny I look, I'm just a bit anal about consistency.

Rant over.

I have mixed feelings. On the one hand, the heads of 'mates without the slip-over masks do sometimes look a bit shrunken; on the other hand, the heads of those that do have slip-over masks sometimes look much too big in comparison to their overall body size, in my opinion.

Didn't want to snap-judge these, so I left it like 12 hours to see if I would get used to that Domino face/hair... but she's pretty ug. And Cable/Deadpool are too similar, too soon to the previous releases. Hope the Feral means a '90s Wolfsbane is on the way, but otherwise a bit of a letdown...

I liked my design for Domino, better:

post-2001-1275506606_thumb.jpg

Yours is exactly what I was hoping for before they broke my heart.

I suppose I should of spoken up at the live chat when Chuck said "Think Liefeld." I said "Oh dear" when I should have said "Please for the love of god reconsider."

Edited by Killek

I suppose I should of spoken up at the live chat when Chuck said "Think Liefeld." I said "Oh dear" when I should have said "Please for the love of god reconsider."

As someone said above, it would be fine if it was just a regular Minimate design based on Liefeld's. But who would've guessed they'd actually try to reproduce his drawing style on the mate? The only times I can think of DST doing so were with that McFarlaney Spider-Man and maybe the Old Man Logan mate.

The Cable ones make sense most likely because who else are we going to see those guns with?

They'd suit a Forge Minimate :) (Take the Hint DST)

They'd also suit a KANG minimate! :) (as seen in Avengers Forever, at least...)

This Deadpool looks pretty bad, hope he ends up looking a bit better(but it's Liefield's 98 Deadpool, so I can't expect too much). Cable is incredibly underwhelming and bland, but I'll certainly get it for Domino and Feral.

Also, a MAJOR issues I've been seeing with Marvel Mates: Consistency! One moment the slip over masks are being used, the next moment they aren't, it either makes one mates' head look shrunken(another issue with paint-app masks is that even when near a mate' with a wig their head still looks small), or the other head too large. I'd personally have LOVED people like Scorpion, Anti-Venom, Gargan, and others to have had the mask so their heads didn't look dwarfed compared to Spideys, Captain America, Deadpool, etc. And this doesn't even just have to do with masks, it can also be the powerhouse bodies, the new sculpted ones, the IM2 roach-shell body, duck feet, all that. Now the main reason I bring this up now is because of this certain Deadpool. He could look so much better with the use of a mask, just so his head didn't look tiny as hell. Seriously, DST should get this issue resolved godspeed. And yes, for the record I realize how whiny I look, I'm just a bit anal about consistency.

Rant over.

I have mixed feelings. On the one hand, the heads of 'mates without the slip-over masks do sometimes look a bit shrunken; on the other hand, the heads of those that do have slip-over masks sometimes look much too big in comparison to their overall body size, in my opinion.

That's never bothered me too much, since I see them as somewhat of a super-deformed figure. Although recently Minimates have been getting a more complicated/action figure feel to them, which I'm not too keen of. I think DC generally had the right idea going.

And the more I look at Domino the more mixed feelings I have. The design by Chazwinski really does look a whole lot better. I think I'll wait to see a review of the entire set before I actually decide on buying it.

They'd also suit a KANG minimate! :) (as seen in Avengers Forever, at least...)

Or the new Avengers reboot!!!! - ok so it doesn't have gns but it does have KANG!!!

T.

An Avengers Forever boxed set would've been swell.

Kang

Immortus

Hawkeye

Songbird

That's a win, boyo.

I think SDCC is way too soon to expect Avengers Forever.

Moving on however to comment on X-Force...

Feral looks good but I'd have greatly prefered Cannonball, by far. But she does look good. I'd argue she makes better use of the Beast hair than Beast did, and is that a new torso piece on her? Looks like it would suit a new Nightcrawler or brown suit Wolverine quite well. Also, bonus points for the white detailing on her gloves, hopefully that won't get removed between the prototype and the factory version. (Still wish she was Cannonball though, lol)

Deadpool doesn't look as good as the one we have already, if you ask me. I don't like that he has all black belts & detailing, I think the brown looks better, and I hate his big black gloves. Did he ever even wear those? All the pictures I can find of 90s Deadpool have red gloves...

Cable looks god awful. His head is about the only thing about him I find passable, the rest just looks like the worst mess of parts reuse I've ever seen. I'd have GREATLY prefered a repaint of the existing 90s Cable in the color scheme of his original action figure (http://www.marveltoys.net/single.php?figure=216&v=abcdefghijklmn), to this abomination of a figure. The only silver lining I see is that he appers to have a half-metal bare chest painted on under that hideous chest armor, so he might be more passable shirtless... maybe...

Domino just looks like crap if you ask me. Which dissapoints the crap out of me, since I'd otherwise have LOVED to get a Domino minimate... shame it fell far short of my expectations. Her hair looks horrible, it's like some sort of ugly slicked back mullet, and her face kinda sucks... I'd have greatly prefered a happy go lucky badass face than the ugly "huh?" face they gave her... her left eye looks like it belongs on a Deadpool figure. I also hate that it doesn't have a pupil...

So all and all, as a completionist collector and huge X-Men fan... yes, I'll buy this... but the Cable and Deadpool are two rehashes I don't feel I needed, and that don't look half as good as their predecessors, and even the Domino, who was one of my bigger wants, falls short. Feral, the only one who looks good, isn't even a character I really wanted.

New minimates are always good, imo, but that doesn't mean they can't still dissapoint.

Edited by Gillbob316

yeah, i tend to be a mint in package collector with minimates, buutttt i think i'll just seek a loose feral from this one. maybe i'll change my mind once it's released. in light of previous sets, the final looks could differ (at least with cable and domino). i bet that deadpool is the final look though.

As someone said above, it would be fine if it was just a regular Minimate design based on Liefeld's. But who would've guessed they'd actually try to reproduce his drawing style on the mate? The only times I can think of DST doing so were with that McFarlaney Spider-Man and maybe the Old Man Logan mate.

That would be me. I love his costume designs. I prefer the Liefeld Cannonball over every other iteration of the character. I just didn't really want to see his artwork come alive.

I'm not a fan of Domino's clenched facial expression, particularly given her more tongue-in-cheek portrayal these days. A cocky smirk would have been preferably.

DSCN3599.jpg

I altered White Queen's face for my custom. ;)

(In Photoshop. That's a decal. Available at the Minimate Factory.)

Edited by TENIME_art

I had to laugh because of the X-Force set. I had a group of Minimates to list on eBay and one was an extra Deadpool I found. I just got a bid retraction where the highest bidder retracted hteir bid. The placed the bid on Monday and cancelled it today. For some reason, I think the announcement of this set may have had something to do with the timing of it.

:deadpool:<_<

Edited by groundhog7s

I had to laugh because of the X-Force set. I had a group of Minimates to list on eBay and one was an extra Deadpool I found. I just got a bid retraction where the highest bidder retracted hteir bid. The placed the bid on Monday and cancelled it today. For some reason, I think the announcement of this set may have had something to do with the timing of it.

:deadpool:<_<

That sucks groundhog... :(

I just sold a two pack with Deadpool on Monday, I had it up for auction less than an hour before it was snapped up as a BIN, the price... $45 + shipping.... I didn't expect it to be snapped up quite so quick at that price, so looked afterwards and have seen that pack go for $50 which is kind of silly considering it was a regular wave pack.

I wonder if the crazy prices on that set will settle now there is another deadpool in the works?

T.

Hard to say. I don't think the Liefeld-esque Deadpool is the version people will want in their collections, but I'm no Deadpool freak, so I don't really know.

Edited by karamazov80

I think the new Deadpool will trim the original's high price but I still see it at least $30 for some time to come. Let's be honest $45+ was just plain embarrassing to ask for it .....well it was for me at least . ;) I am well-aware of how anal I am about pricing but I now find it fascinating & I almost try to get into the guys' (at DST) minds. It was bloody obvious we'd get another DP & I'll bet good money we'll get a third before very much longer ,the rest of my money would go on it being a battle-damaged version (surprise surprise). Without going off-topic too far very few of the 're-released' type of Minimate actually surpass the price of the original in their packaged form .

I am buying this really just for the deadpool. while i was able to get the wave 28 deadpool his leg broke, snapped at the joint. so i will be switching legs. the cable is cool too, and domino rocks so the set is not a total loss. but if it did not come with deadpool i might not be in such a rush to buy it.

I hope all of the insane Deadpool love does not end up making this set tough to get a hold of. I was planning on picking up an extra set for my brother who was an X-Force nut back in the day.

I kind of wish that Domino were wearing the purple on blue outfit with the weird face-frame thing. That was a pretty silly costume.

Edited by Turtle

That sucks groundhog... :(

It really did make me laugh. I'm going to be shocked if the price doesn't go back up. For one, news does travel slow to some people who aren't like us checking to see what's new everyday. And secondly, the new one just doesn't stack up to the original-it's like three figures in one. Of course, had I found the extra figure a week earlier and sold it then I'd be laughing for a different reason...