UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

TRU Wave 7 Announced!

pawcanada

• Replies 741
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm kind of mixed about this set -- while I'm all sorts of happy about the Hulkbuster armor, I wish they'd done another Hulk instead of a Powerhouse Gamma Hulk, which to me is one of the less useful Hulks you could do. Planet Hulk? Gray Hulk redo? Joe Fixit? Maestro? Marvel vs Capcom Hulk ["Smart?"]? Oh well. I'm just glad I don't need to waffle on getting a Hulkbuster custom done anymore.

Also, much "yay" for Lockjaw! Much "huh?" for Betsy Braddock [especially packed with Lockjaw -- one would've imagined Medusa or Crystal or someone], but she looks great and another X-character is always welcome.

Edited by lastmaximal

i dont recall, but were the other TRU reveals package pics too? doesnt package pics usually mean they are ready to go so we can expect these to hit in 6 weeks?

NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICE!

Lockjaw and Hulkbuster Iron Man have been at the top of my want list for a couple of years at this point. Pairing Lockjaw with Betsy kinda sorta hints that there will be more Inhumans and Excalibur Minimates down the road, which I'm totally down for.

I just hope the distribution is something akin to the last Marvel wave.

Pairing Lockjaw with Betsy kinda sorta hints that there will be more Inhumans and Excalibur Minimates down the road, which I'm totally down for.

Really? I don't think Betsy Braddock was ever a part of Excalibur, was she?

I know modern Japanese Psylocke was involved with the final chapters of the most recent incarnation of Excalibur, but did 80's British Betsy have a stint in Excalibur?

I just pray for the day that Hulkbuster gets reworked into Juggernaut!

Would they need to make a totally new mold for this? I only ask cause while the dome shape is nice, the sculpting of the facial features on HBIM doesn't really match with Juggernaught. . .

wow this is a great wave im a huge fan of lockjaw this is so unexpected and were still in spring cant wait to see what summer brings on!!

Yeah, her first appearances were in the UK Cap Britain comics, I believe. This issue happened, but it was post-stupid Asian ninja transformation.

30205696326.55.GIF

Damn, that man can draw.

Edited by karamazov80

I find it humorous that in the last two TRU waves, my favorite two are in the TRU-exclusive sets.

Why is that humorous to you ? That's the whole point of the exclusives isn't it? Give people something they want that they won't be able to get anywhere else, draw them in to the store.

(speaking in general to the board now, and no longer specifically to you...)

And if you think having a MAJOR retailer on board carrying these things and ordering exclusive after exclusive is somehow a bad thing for the line... you're nuts. They get perks like exclusives and earlier releases because the amount of business they do with Diamond/AA is by far the largest of any buyer of the line they have.

Now, myself personally, I buy the Diamond waves from online stores and supplement them with the TRU exclusive sets. Reason being, you get a good price online if you order an entire wave with variant set all together. It's worth waiting a little while longer to get the entire wave all together rather than to buy one or two sets from TRU when they come out, then try and find the other 2 sets (usually one of them a variant set) by themselves from an LCS or online... it's both cheaper and more convenient to wait for the etailer to get them in. I also would prefer to support an online dealer or LCS. But most of the time it's an online dealer... most LCS' in my area charge at least $2 more per set than you'll find online. I know of one chum who doesn't order much online... and he'll buy the TRU sets and supplement with the Diamond sets, because he can save himself some decent money off the price he pays at his LCS. We want to support small business as much as possible I'm sure... but at some point being a smart consumer will always trump that instinct, at least for me.

Part of the problem here is the LCS' themselves and what they charge... and I'm sorry, but that's another discussion for another thread, because that issue goes a heck of a lot deeper than people just buying some sets from TRU rather than their LCS. The retail comic book and collectible industry (heck... many small retail businesses in and of itself) are facing a changing landscape from manufacturer to supplier to distribution, right on down to the customers.

However, I think Luke's example of the Iron Man wave IS an example where Diamond/AA/TRU and BORDERS kind of fucked over the LCS' and online stores. In that case you had every one of the sets from the Diamond wave (including the happy variant) available at Borders and/or TRU (in some combination to complete the wave) a FULL MONTH before Diamond shipped the wave to the LCS's/etailers. In that case, with the entire wave available out there, and with exclusives to be bought at both stores, and with good coupons out there and available for both stores, a perfect storm of screwing happened, and people lost patience, bailed on their orders, and picked them ALL up for good prices locally. Diamond and AA need to be more aware of that in the future and try and get their LCS' their stock a lot sooner so people won't lose patience and do it again. However, the fact that that particular wave was tied to a movie and a lot of major promotions, that may be why the emphasis went to Borders and TRU so early.

I still think having major retailers onboard ordering exclusives and carrying the regular line are anything but bad for minimate fans. But I agree there has to be a balance that protects the smaller retailers to SOME degree... although I think the Iron Man wave was more of an exception than the rule.

i dont recall, but were the other TRU reveals package pics too? doesnt package pics usually mean they are ready to go so we can expect these to hit in 6 weeks?

The wave 6 reveal was in-package pics, too. I suppose it might be reasonable to make assumptions based on that.

Yeah, her first appearances were in the UK Cap Britain comics, I believe. This issue happened, but it was post-stupid Asian ninja transformation.

Damn, that man can draw.

You are correct... created in the mid to late 70's by Chris Claremont in the Captain Britain UK comics... as Betsy Braddock, Captain Britain's sister, born with psychic powers.

First American appearance...

New_Mutants_Annual_Vol_1_2.jpg

She gets abducted by Mojo, fitted with cybernetic/bionic eyes, and put into one of Mojo's wacky shows. Pretty sure she gets the name Psylocke from him as well. The New Mutants save her, she remains with the X-Men and started to appear and help out right around the Mutant Massacre storyline. After this epic issue where she helps the X-men out with an attack from Sabretooth...

uncanny-x-men-213.jpg

...she dons the armor and here we have her.

I preferred her pre-Mandarin as well, but have to admit the whole Mandarin storyline was pretty good and I liked the whole idea of a hero getting changed into something else against their will. I agree though... turning a proper British girl with purple hair into an bodysuit wearing Asian-chick assassin... very out there... and kind of misses the mark.

Minimate Lockjaw!!!! :ohmy:

I think I just went to the bathroom a little bit in my pants.

(I didn't really though)

(OK, maybe I did)

Overall, awesome news. And seriously, you could have given everyone 100 guesses on what the next TRU 2-pack would be and no one would have said classic Psylock and Lockjaw. And it looks like NorthRaider is one step closer to a complete Inhumans set now also. Amazing.

You're too kind grannyhog. :D

And OH MY HOLY FRAKKING CANNOLI! IT'S LOCKJAW! :woot:

Seriously, anyone who can help me get my hands on this set will be a big goddamn hero.

Otherwise I'm still supporting our LCS to keep them selling the regular waves, so the wave 36 rerelease packs are a friendly pass for me. But Hulkbuster and Gamma Hulk? Damn, I predict an eBay turf war for this set. :unsure:

P.S. Five pages in less than two days? That's gotta be a record :P

First American appearance...

...she dons the armor and here we have her.

No small coincidence, I would wager, that her early U.S. appearances were all in comics drawn by Alan Davis. Probably another reason for the Excalibur misunderstanding. If not for Alan Davis coming over to Marvel-Actual, we might never know or care about Psylocke as a character.

X-Men 213, btw, is very likely my favorite all-time X-Men comic cover.

Edited by karamazov80

Has anyone mentioned the irony of another British Super-Hero only being available to a North American toystore?

:D It makes I larf!

We get all the Canadian heroes too.

Same continent! :P

Wow! This wave sure came out of nowhere. HB IM and gamma Hulk are no surprise (it was a matter of time), but Lockjaw and Betsy Braddock are out in left field. Can't wait to get 'em. Uh... Turtle... Lobsterman are you guys listenning? ;)

:thumbsup:

This is a very nice surprise. The Lockjaw/Betsy Braddock set is awesomely out of left field. HBIM is pretty cool too. He has the potential to be mind-blowingly cool, depending on what's under the armor. This is a good year to collect Minimates.