UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Spider-man reboot in relation to The Avengers film

We all know that the Iron man films, Hulk, Thor and Captain America are leading up to the Avengers film, yet I've never seen any speculation about the spidey reboot being involved. Spider-man isn't an avenger, but having a mention of him or vice versa would connect the MU even more. Especially with the reboot happening now. I feel there's a good chance of this happening, am I too optimistic?

Unfortunately I'm a bit doubtful that the Spidey reboot can get incorporated into the shared Marvel Movieverse the Avengers are a part of, not unless Sony is willing to give back the Spider-Man film rights to Marvel Studios somehow. And frankly, the chances of that happening are practically next to nil.

NorthRaider is correct. Spidey belongs to Sony for as long as Sony will have him unless Disney throws some serious money at them. I doubt there is a number that would make it worth their while to do that though. The 3 movies combined have grossed $2,496,400,000 worldwide.

Does anyone know where the rights end re: Spiderman? That is to say, how many of Spidey's villains and associates are exclusively reserved by the Sony movie contract? In the comics of course, Spidey has interacted with several characters that have appeared in other, non-Sony films. Could we not possibly see Doc Ock in an Avengers movie at some point? I wonder if the initial contract specified that characters X, Y, and Z constituted primarily Spidey-related characters who could not be used in non-Sony films.

Otherwise, some legal wrangling might allow for some references to Spidey through his friends and foes, if not having him actually show up. They might could even go so far as to use a character with the same look and powers, with a slightly different look (i.e. Ben Reilly).

Whatever the case, it does really suck that we won't see Spidey interacting with Hulk and Cap, though. I suppose the most we can hope for is that the Spidey franchise starts losing steam, so that Sony would consider selling for a reasonable price. If Disney does own Marvel Studios at this point, they could also consider bartering some Disney-related property (say, Pirates of the Caribbean or, er, the Country Bears) though I don't foresee that happening.

I don't want to talk about this. There's no reason to reboot Spidey. For F4. Or Daredevil/Elektra. Or Punisher. They're fine. Leave them be and move on. Do what Hulk did. Say "yeah, the first one happened, but we're going to keep going" The fact that I have essentially wasted my time on 3 Spidey movies only to have none of it matter REALLY ticks me off.

Did Hulk treat the first movie as cannon? The origin flashback was completely different. Obviously, they didn't waste much time on the back-story, assuming people knew who the Hulk was and in a general sense, what his relationship with Betty and T-Bolt Ross were, etc. But I think it was as much a re-boot as anything.

I'm not against skipping origins in future re-boots, though. FF desperately needs it, IMO, because the first ones sucked badly. But yeah, we know about the cosmic rays, etc. Just start out with them as an established team investigating the Negative Zone or whatever, and go from there.

Does anyone know where the rights end re: Spiderman? That is to say, how many of Spidey's villains and associates are exclusively reserved by the Sony movie contract? In the comics of course, Spidey has interacted with several characters that have appeared in other, non-Sony films. Could we not possibly see Doc Ock in an Avengers movie at some point? I wonder if the initial contract specified that characters X, Y, and Z constituted primarily Spidey-related characters who could not be used in non-Sony films.

Otherwise, some legal wrangling might allow for some references to Spidey through his friends and foes, if not having him actually show up. They might could even go so far as to use a character with the same look and powers, with a slightly different look (i.e. Ben Reilly).

Whatever the case, it does really suck that we won't see Spidey interacting with Hulk and Cap, though. I suppose the most we can hope for is that the Spidey franchise starts losing steam, so that Sony would consider selling for a reasonable price. If Disney does own Marvel Studios at this point, they could also consider bartering some Disney-related property (say, Pirates of the Caribbean or, er, the Country Bears) though I don't foresee that happening.

I think that they are Sony's until Sony no longer wants them. What I don't get is why Marvel Studios doesn't just broker some sort of deal that would allow Spider-Man to stay at Sony and be refolded into the movie universe. This reboot is a great opportunity to do just that but I'm not holding my breath.

One potential problem would be over-exposure. The more people see of Spidey, the more likely they are going to get burned out, which could hurt Sony's profits more than help. Of course, that could be part of the contract--1 appearance in a film every 3 years, never on a year to correspond with the release of a Sony-related Spidey movie. Throw that in, and do a kind of exchange where Sony is allowed to use Iron Man in its movies similarly, and I can envision it happening.

Probably not, though. People are greedy and territorial. There would also be a concern of misusing the character somehow so that it hurts the "image" that Sony is trying to project. I suppose the contract could also account for this by requiring Sony approval of any Spidey usage, but I don't see Marvel going for that.

The fact that I have essentially wasted my time on 3 Spidey movies only to have none of it matter REALLY ticks me off.

Not sure I get how a movie matters, beyond my enjoying it? Does this mean I'm not allowed to watch Batman Returns anymore? That would suck. I agree about wasting your time on SM3 though. The world wasted its time on SM3.