UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Collecting habits

Hey everybody, you may have seen me post a lot here a while ago and that kinda has to do with what I'm going to talk about. I've noticed when it comes to me and minimates I'll collect them, take a break and then let some new figure make me obsess over them again. It's a pretty strange cycle that I got from when I collected toys from many different series(marvel, dc etc), back when I was more of a kid. Lately I've been kind of telling myself that there's a few I should get, so it appears that 'mates are becoming more of a thing I regularly buy as opposed to some weird obsessive cycle(which is good IMHO). So do any of you guys have a strange collecting habit like I do?

I bought the first 7 or 8 waves of Marvel Mates religiously, by the case in fact, when they first came out. It wasn't as easy to get them then, I couldn't pre-order complete sets with variants like today. Keep in mind that back then, AA only released maybe 2 sets a year, with a few exclusives.

None of the local comic shops carried them, so I had to order the case online and pay shipping, then figure out what I was going to do with all of the extras. I think the Series 8 wave was the last I bought at a case price, I paid around $100 shipped for it. I think that may have been what led to me getting out of them all together.

A few years went by where I admired the pix of them I saw online, but I actually thought of selling off my collection. I started looking into if they were still so hard to get and that's when I found that AFX was selling complete sets with the variant for about 25% of what I was paying for a case, I started back up with the Havok/Polaris wave and went back and slowly pieced together all the waves I missed.

I've since moved on to another online retailer that takes better care of me, but that's my Minimate collecting story.

Never doing THAT again! B)

Edited by youbastards

I bought the first 7 or 8 waves of Marvel Mates religiously, by the case in fact, when they first came out. It wasn't as easy to get them then, I couldn't pre-order complete sets with variants like today. Keep in mind that back then, AA only released maybe 2 sets a year, with a few exclusives.

None of the local comic shops carried them, so I had to order the case online and pay shipping, then figure out what I was going to do with all of the extras. I think the Series 8 wave was the last I bought at a case price, I paid around $100 shipped for it. I think that may have been what led to me getting out of them all together.

A few years went by where I admired the pix of them I saw online, but I actually thought of selling off my collection. I started looking into if they were still so hard to get and that's when I found that AFX was selling complete sets with the variant for about 25% of what I was paying for a case, I started back up with the Havok/Polaris wave and went back and slowly pieced together all the waves I missed.

I've since moved on to another online retailer that takes better care of me, but that's my Minimate collecting story.

Never doing THAT again! B)

you got any more of them mates from those early cases?

I found myself going in cycles a lot in the past few years. It all started with minimates and just went screaming out of control from there. Bowen, GI Joe's, CCG's, Mighty Muggs, all sorts of stuff. My last big craze was DCUC, which I pretty much stopped cold turkey thanks to all those upcoming USA retail exclusives.

Now that I have an actual plan for what the wife and I are saving up for, I find it easier not to get into new crazes. I do find it hard some nights and find myself planning ways to get new collections of stuff I don't really want. Or even need for that matter. That, and Once I found my Holy Grail of collecting (Turner Supergirl statue) my desire to collect notably took a dive.

So, I am down to just collecting all sorts of things from Studio Ghibli (which a very friendly board member here helps me out with). Which I actually enjoy collecting. I can have fun with it and I don't feel the need to have EVERYTHING to feel my collection is satisfactory. Plus, it being very rare in North America, I can buy everything I see in person and really pick and choose what I purchase online.

The big problem is that now I have tubs upon tubs and boxes upon boxes of stuff just sitting in storage. Oh well, maybe someday my own kids will love them or I can think of it as my own personal pension plan.

It is a hard world out there when one feels the need to collect toys.... err, I mean collectibles.

I stopped collecting around 18 months ago, but got back in around the time Wave 25 was released and been following it strong ever since.

I mostly get 2 and 4 packs that interest me the most, but on the basis it has at least 3 characters I want (the 4-pack) and I want both the characters in the 2 pack. Anything else I hit eBay for. Unfortunatly before I took the break I had used up pretty much all the space I had for them on my book shelf, and now my collection has doubled since them, as I've been tracking down the Street Fighter and DC mates I didn't get first time round, all the Ghostbuster packs and any Terminator mates that appeal to me. Most of the newer stuff is still boxed and I'm running out of spaces for the boxes. My wallet has been crying quite badly for the past month :S

So far there have really been 3 times that I have collected minimates, all in a spree too. Back in 2003 I bought all the ones I could find. Then I felt they were too expensive so I stopped cold for years. Then in march 2009, I came across a few in my garage and it sparked my interest up in them again--and I noticed the punisher boxset.

So I got caught in a tizzy of minimates and my collection expanded by about 100. And then I stopped right after I bought a few terminator mates. Then I stopped cold again and I even stopped myself from visiting the verse so I wouldn't be tempted. That worked really well, until I accidentally came across Ghostbusters and I got pulled in again to the Marvel world. I've definitely spent more money than I should have on them and my collection has once again grown nearly another 50 or so. Not only that, but I started customizing which was a first, so I was buying mates I didn't even care about just so I could turn them into characters Iwoudl never have the chance of owning.

Every time I visit this place, I see pictures of the other guys, and then I want to add to my collection, and fill the gaps to make up the teams--and that gets very expensive! I'm trying to find a way, that I can still get enjoyment out of this site, but without going overboard on buying mates--haven't found the solution yet haha. I really need to save and move outta my house!

The other thing I try and do, which I haven't done very well this year, is sell off some of my stuff to justify the purchase of more mates...I need to figure out how to do that again. It's hard to give up some other stuff tho, especially if you hunted all over the place for it.

I've been advised by my attorney & my therapist not to discuss my problem publicly.

You can afford an attorney and a therapist?? Clearly you are not buying enough Minimates. :)

I employed the attorney because of the unpaid therapist* bills.

*the rapist :ermm:

Edited by buttheadsmate

I started with a few favorites, Iron Man, a couple spideys, then went for everything I could get my hands on! I sold off all my C3, LOTR, SF, and 3 inchers only to end up buying them all back (at a premium) on Evil Bay. Now I drift back and forth taking a break until 3 or 4 waves come out then buying everything I can get my hands on. Lately I've been struggling with the movie/TRU/regualr wave variants and such as it makes it hard just keeping track of what's coming out when and how many exclusives are there. And don't get me started on battle jerks...