UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Captain American Through the Ages TRU Exclusive Pack

fwoosheyman

Yep, the pix that NorthRaider posted color match my Mates exactly. The difference in blue doesn't bother me at all, in fact I kinda favor the Invaders mate more after looking at the compare pix.

I come out to find that I accidentally illegally parked my car...$35 fine, so I just paid $42 for rogue and mystique...

That sucks man, sorry for the bad luck after such a great find!

Edited by youbastards

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BUT, the Civil War Cap particularly here is a bit more unsettling to me. Again, I'm not bothered too too much by it, but I would prefer DST not to start with straight re-releases the way that Medicom does. If you are going to re-release a character, even one as specific as "Civil War Captain America," I say do something different. The mask he can hold in his hand is neat, but that still appears to be very nearly the same look, with the same type of battle damage, etc.

I was wondering about the straight re-release with this mate too....so I pulled up the database pic and it looks like the battle damage on the TRU pic is a new tampo and not a straight re-release of the original civil war boxset cap

Jeff of the Miniacs

There are apparent, minor differences--different facial expression, new connector for the shield, possibly slightly different shade of blue and battle damage, neck post painted blue, mask to hold in hand. But the battle damage all appears in the same places--big rip on top right of shirt, two small rips on right pant, one large rip on top of left pant, same mask, etc. Not a straight re-release, but dangerously close to it. Moreso than the Spiderwoman, which at least had a completely new and distinctive hairpiece, and which was much more polished in relation to the earlier, more basic figure.

Edited by karamazov80

without wanting to sway too far off topic, as it sort of relates to people's opinions in regards to re-releases of Civil War, US Agent Cap, etc.

Considering the others we now have, I'm fairly surprised there hasn't been a Spider-Man through the ages just yet. I suppose he's been a LITTLE more consistent over the years, but there's still plenty of takers for the 4 slots. Could well please those people who want a Scarlet Spider with webshooters, etc... Man-Spider, Bag-Man... updated comic Peter Parker perhaps?

It just struck me how odd this set is going to look on the shelves. Despite a few minor differences, most of these Cap minimates are going to look identical from 6 feet away, especially to non-hardcore comic fans. At least with the Wolverine TTA set the outfits were all completely different from each other.

It just struck me how odd this set is going to look on the shelves. Despite a few minor differences, most of these Cap minimates are going to look identical from 6 feet away, especially to non-hardcore comic fans. At least with the Wolverine TTA set the outfits were all completely different from each other.

And in Canada none the less!

Considering the others we now have, I'm fairly surprised there hasn't been a Spider-Man through the ages just yet. I suppose he's been a LITTLE more consistent over the years, but there's still plenty of takers for the 4 slots. Could well please those people who want a Scarlet Spider with webshooters, etc... Man-Spider, Bag-Man... updated comic Peter Parker perhaps?

I dunno where the hell this attitude that Scarlet Spider is a Spider-Man variant came from, but i hate it, lol...

I'll grant you that he's a clone, but at the end of he day Ben Reilly is still a completely seperate person, and Scarlet Spider is a persona that's uniquely his. Peter Parker has never been Scarlet Spider. He's not Spider-Man, or at the very least, not Peter Parker.

I've pointed this out in the past, but it baffles me why Ben Reilly Spider-Man is listed as his own seperate entry on minimate database, but Scarlet Spider isn't. The Ben Reilly with a unique hero persona & Name = Spider-Man variant, but the one that's supposed to be Ben Reilly AS Spider-Man = Not??? How the hell does that make sense! (PS. Spider-Carnage is also Reilly with the Carnage Symbiote, and also has his own entry, which only further complicates matters.)

And people say, "Well he basically is a Spidey variant, so it's okay" to which I say, "Okay, well then why isn't US Agent listed as a Captain America variant?" What makes US Agent so much more special as a Cap knockoff that he gets his own entry, while Red Hulk & Scarlet Spider get clumped in with their main guys?

I also don't get why some heroes are lumped with their civilian figs (Phoenix, Invisible Woman, Most Glaringly: Wolverine) but others (Iron Man, Luke Cage, Several others) are split into two entries for Civilian & Hero.

I also don't get the confusing scramble that is Iron Man/War Machine/Tony/Rhodey (all of which seem to be one in the same at some point or another.) Why is Rhodey in Mark II a "James Rhodes" but Tony in Mark II an "Iron Man", but either in War Machine armor is in a third completely seperate entry, under War Machine, which itself, doesn't include James Rhodes... lol...

I don't understand where these distinctions are being drawn, but they confuse the hell out of me, and as an anal person, i find it all maddening... lol

Which is why I organize my checklist Thusly...

Most Relevent Codename (Secret Identity). <-Main Heading

-Actual Name (Figure Name and/or Distinguishing Feature) <- Sub Heading

(IE. "Spider-Man (Peter Parker), Spider-Man (Miguel O'Hara) & Scarlet Spider (Ben Reilly), are three seperate main entries, and then I put all the costume/persona variants (Spider-Carnage, Etc) under sub-headings.)

The Osborns provides a decent basic example of how my list works...

Green Goblin (Norman Osborn)

- Green Goblin (Classic)

- Green Goblin (Villains)

- Green Goblin (Ultimate)

- Iron Patriot (Dark Avengers)

- Norman Osborn (Thunderbolts)

Green Goblin (Harry Osborn)

- New Goblin (Movie - Spider-Man 3)

Basically, kinda like that.

Anyway... I've gone off on a much longer rant than I originally intended too... my only orginal point being...

Ben Reilly is a seperate dude. Give him his props.

lol...

Sorry for the tyrade.

PS. I love minimatedatabase.com, use it frequently, and appreciate all the hard work that's gone into it over the years. Thank you very much guy who runs it. (I know you're one of the members here, I always forget which one)

It's great. :D

(I just have minor discrepencies with some of the ways its organized... which is why I organized my own list in excel... lol...)

What's your hang up with Captain America being sold in Canada?

Sorry for the tirade.

PS. I love minimatedatabase.com, use it frequently, and appreciate all the hard work that's gone into it over the years. Thank you very much guy who runs it. (I know you're one of the members here, I always forget which one)

Ivan (Ivan)

-Ivan (Minimate Database)

-Ivan (Member)

-Ivan(Minimate Labs)

Although I'm almost sure you were joking ?

Sorry for the tyrade.

It's great. :D

(I just have minor discrepencies with some of the ways its organized... which is why I organized my own list in excel... lol...)

I think an important thing to note here is that while the Database is an invaluable reference resource for us Minimate fans, Ivan (the guy who runs the place) isn't really as much a diehard Marvel/DC guy like most of us. Conservatively speaking his familiarity with most of the characters who have seen Minimate form might just barely match that of those random kids romping up and down the Toys R Us aisles without years' worth of comic continuity to aid them (not to imply that Ivan has the intelligence level of a seven-year-old or anything :sweat:)

The good news though is that if you just say so nicely, anybody can just ring him up either here or thru his email to help improve the Database's category scheme. To date I've helped him improve his search results by suggesting that Guy Gardner, Kilowog and Salaak be included in a "Green Lantern" search and by letting him know that Rachel Grey and Rachel Summers are in fact the same person. ;)

Edited by NorthRaider

Ben Reilly is a seperate dude. Give him his props.

lol...

Sorry for the tyrade.

again, without trying to go off topic... Ben Reilly was Spider-Man for a while. Scarlet Spider would certainly been close enough to be included in a Spidey through the ages set

for most of the general non-comic-reading masses, it's ultimately a costume variation first and a character second.

upon reflection, instead of a Through the Ages set, I wouldn't mind an annual or semiannual Spidey Friends and Foes 4-pack [with better QC, of course]. Gives endless Spidey variations a place to be, mostly out of the main waves -- and provides outlets for the many Spidey villains [and/or villain redos], not to mention Spidey supporting cast members.

Edited by lastmaximal

I'm likely going to be pelted with rocks or Riot Attack Spider-Men, but I'm surprised they haven't tried a Spider-Man Through the Ages box set. I guess the problem is that we've gotten all of the definitive looks and we're only lacking the one-offs for the most part.

Did the Wolverine "Through the Ages" box set sell that well? I could be wrong, but it seems like I read on here that it didn't do as well as they had hoped. I know the Iron Man box set did well... even I got that one. The more I think about it, the more it depresses me to lose the opportunity to have a team of 4 new characters that wouldn't be released otherwise.

Did the Wolverine "Through the Ages" box set sell that well? I could be wrong, but it seems like I read on here that it didn't do as well as they had hoped.

I don't know the numbers, but i would assume that since it was all civilian logans that it would not have sold too well. When it was announced, i know i was hoping for something more like a Jim Lee Wolverine, Shiar Fang Wolverine, Weapon X (with VR helmet) & a Tan & Orange Wolverine (for example).

The set should probably have been called Logan Through The Ages. It seems like it is still pretty widely avaiable (although not dropping in price).

for most of the general non-comic-reading masses, it's ultimately a costume variation first and a character second.

But my point is, Ben Reilly: Spider-Man, as well as Ben Reilly: Spider-Carnage, both get their own categories (not even a shared category, but two seperate ones, each with 1 minimate occupying them), but Ben Reilly: Scarlet Spider, who is probably the most independent persona of all three Ben Reilly minimates, as strictly speaking he is neither a Spider-Man or a Carnage variant IS listed as a Spidey variant. Makes no sense to me that the one who is a Spider-Man, and the one who is half Spider-Man and half Carnage, aren't spidey variants, but the one who is neither Spider-Man or Carnage, IS a Spidey Variant.

Whether you think of Scarlet Spider as his own character, or as a costume variant doesn't really matter. It STILL doesn't make sense. At the very least, any way you shake it, one of these minimates, all of which are the same man, should occupy the same category as one of the others.

Whether that means Ben Reilly should be changed to a Spider-Man variant or Scarlet Spider should be changed to a Ben Reilly variant, is a whole other debate. (As stated, I'm on the side of considering Ben Reilly his own character, just as US Agent [who is more or less the Captain America equivalent of this same discussion] is considered his own character.)

I more or less said all this in the first post, but it admittedly got a little long, so the message got lost in the middle somewhere. So no hard feelings if you missed it.

Let me once again say, that I want people to please understand, these comments aren't coming from a place of anger, hate or malice. They're coming from a place of anal retentive fanboy organization which I can't control, and I apologize for that. Overall, I love minimatedatabase.com. lol...

Whether you think of Scarlet Spider as his own character, or as a costume variant doesn't really matter. It STILL doesn't make sense. At the very least, any way you shake it, one of these minimates, all of which are the same man, should occupy the same category as one of the others.

Yeah, I dunno about the database listings or whatever, so I won't challenge your point on that. I was referring to including him in a Spidey Through The Ages set which would -- outwardly, to the non-core-comic-base consumer these could be targeted to reach out to -- be more about Spidey costumes through the ages rather than people who have been Spidey.

Edited by lastmaximal

(sorry, I had to delete this big-ass ranty bitch post I just typed out. I'm not thinking clearly right now, I just basked in the sun for two hours in the name of democracy.)

For people here concerned about the way the Database is managed, if you want to prove how much of a better job you can do I recommend letting off some steam on the wiki.

Back on topic: Now that I think about it some more I am genuinely concerned about how well this Through The Ages set is going to do. Steve Rogers completists aside, who's going to look at this set at a TRU and think "Hot diggity! A boxset full of nothing but Captain Americas! Just what I've been waiting for!"

The only other saving grace I can think of is if this set really came coupled with a proper Cap-centric TRU exclusive wave. With all those Cap supporting characters we've been wanting for ages.

And really? A Spider-Man Through the Ages set? I think I'm going to develop a hernia.

Let me once again say, that I want people to please understand, these comments aren't coming from a place of anger, hate or malice. They're coming from a place of anal retentive fanboy organization which I can't control, and I apologize for that. Overall, I love minimatedatabase.com. lol...

Gilbob I think you should consider yourself blessed if the catagorisation for minimates on a website is amongst your biggest worries :)

You could always make your own database, with exactly how you want them to be labelled and catagorised... but then I bet some Iron Man fan would come and tell you off for mislabelling the armors etc and the whole thing would start again :lol:

My advice is to take a deep breath and let it go... or like a dog chasing it's tail, something that's funny as hell to watch from the outside but it'll drive you nuts :)

T.

What's your hang up with Captain America being sold in Canada?

Nothing. It's just funny that Captain America is being sold in Canada. No big deal, just made me snicker.