UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Minimates Carrying Case Announced

From the AA Blog:

A Diamond Select Release! Hundreds of figures later, DST is finally giving the fans, something to carry around their Minimates! This lightweight, ready-to-go cardboard carry case holds up to 36 Minimates, and is perfect for everyone from kids on the go, collectors looking to trade, or customizers who want to show their friends their unique Minimate creations. Featuring individual storage compartments specially sized to fit any Minimate and their accessories, the days of hand-carrying your Minimates are over!

Carry Case SRP: $24.99

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cardboard!

Why DST why? It seems every time they try one of these experiments they pick the most unsuitable materials which kill preorders and it never happens. Also I'm curious how they will decorate it? They have so many licenses that doing it with one license will make it look odd if used for the others?

I'll wait to see pictures and make my judgement then but I cant be the only one to think cardboard as a carry case material sounds awfully hokey?

T.

p.s. For $25 It better come with a minimate ;)

p.p.s 36 figures huh? so for ultimate portability we'd need 10 of these just to carry marvel around :)

p.s. For $25 It better come with a minimate ;)

That's what I was thinking. I see this going the way of the lab playset. A carrying case. . .I guess it could be a good idea, but for the kinds of folks who would pick those up (mostly parents of small kids, I would wager) they need to go more $7-10 and less $20+.

I think DST is so used to dealing with specialty shops that they have difficulties figuring out how to create and sell things that a mass audience would buy at a price that they would pay. I hope I'm wrong here, but I really don't see this getting off the ground.

What I really wish they'd try is a Maximate bank. Just an over-sized, Minimate in a generic, static pose that could be sold as a bank, but could be customized as a larger sized Minimate. If they can make a Stay Puft bank for $20, why not this? Instead we see countless exeriments that seem doomed from the start.

"...the days of hand-carrying your Minimates are over " ??

I am intrigued to know this method of carrying that does not involve your hands .

I have often envisaged something like this post-638-1272821545_thumb.jpg . Surely something along the lines of the plastic trays that Minimates 'arrive in' but larger would be far more practical. OK not all Minimates would fit the uniform size but I reckon 99.9% would. The same people that make the trays would surely be able to produce this for way less than $20 .

Edited by buttheadsmate

"...the days of hand-carrying your Minimates are over " ??

I am intrigued to know this method of carrying that does not involve your hands .

I dunno but don't investigate this one to deeply, let it go... or you may never buy another second hand minimate again :D

T.

See, what I was hoping for as a way to go around the Minimate uniformity problem would be something like this:

t090911_01.jpg

This was designed specifically for those Pokemon Monster Collection mini figures Takara/Tomy put out a while back.

See, what I was hoping for as a way to go around the Minimate uniformity problem would be something like this:

This was designed specifically for those Pokemon Monster Collection mini figures Takara/Tomy put out a while back.

See, now that I wouldn't mind having. If they could find a way to put the C3 pegs on the floors of each of those compartments, you'd be able to stand several figures together with room for the accessories and stuff too. You wouldn't be able to display the figures individually in something that size, but you could display them per 2-pack or box set, certainly.

I wonder what DST has in mind. They can't really go the route of that Bearbrick thing that BHM showed, since a lot of the various Minimates (especially the more recent ones) require special molding for all the detailed capes, hair, etc.

It's gonna be fun having trays that can hold ANY minimate and still accomodate Archangel without having to take his wings apart.

I am definately NOT gonna get this though as long as they insist on the Cardboard Travesty.

Edited by Trekker 42

They had me until I read it was cardboard :/

I was hoping for something like the Pokemon case NorthRider posted or maybe something like this:

http://www.minifigforlife.com/theprostore/...0Display%20Case

STILL the end product could be worth it so here's hoping :D

I'm envisioning something similar to those boxes of candy kids get for fundraisers (oh wait, we live in the internet era, I can look it up!)

One of these: http://www.fundraisingzone.com/cgi-bin/fzo...;catalogno=7034

which is... okay? I mean not $25 okay, especially since plastic tackle boxes exist and can be obtained at K-Mart, Walmart, maybe Target if you're lucky for the same price (unless the cardboard box is full of Reese's cups I get to eat, then it's great!!!)

I always use 'really useful storage' boxes, the 9l one (9.0 litre XL Really Useful Box (7" small) 395 x 255 x 205 335 x 210 x 180 1,000) @http://www.reallyusefulproducts.co.uk/uk/html/boxdetails.php Holds 4 trays with 15 compartments. Each big enough for 2 minimates, Iv even got super hero hulkbusters in there and my death archangel fits in with my champions angel dead easy in one slot. Plus there real robust.

It's about freakin' time! But for $24.99 a pop, it better be something truly spectacular. I pay $7.00 for plastic tool cases which work great and they carry 24 mates as well. I don't think I'll switch over to the new one, as replacing the 35 cases I have now would cost a fortune. I'll buy one for the sake of saying "I own one."

I'm really interested to see how these things are designed / decorated. Time will tell I guess.

It sounds...ehhh

The one problem I have with it,is it being cardboard,cardboard is easy to rip and is destroyed when touching water.

For the design I think its gonna just be a big blank minimate.Hopefully it comes with a minimate,because 25$ for a piece of cardboard?That is just crazy.