UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Wave 37 Spidey/lizard, profx/warpath, thing/doombot

I wonder if DST QC are gearing themselves up for the deluge of complaints that they'll have about Kurt Connor's right arm being missing in every pack? That 'armless comment leads me nicely into the reason I initially didn't gel with the 6 armed Spidey . The reason was that in the picture his flesh arms aren't accompanied by flesh ball-joints which totally wrecks the whole concept. The Thing's arms are ,as blacksun1520 confirms, slip-ons & are IMO the compromise that we'll have to accept if we are ever to get an accurate Hulk. Luke's recent campaign to get DST to listen must be totally applauded ....well done Luke :D ....but there have been many of us saying the same for months . That's not a dig at Luke (no way ) but a confirmation that DST listen to the grumbles here........belatedly. As for grumbling ,Crippler rightly points out that there are some grumblers here & if I'm not wearing King Grumbler's crown I'm sure as hell after it :D ....I can't be sure of everybody else but all I know is that I whether I moan or not I still support the line & I love some of the innovations & loathe others......I think Chuck is even on record as "not liking duck feet" !

The real reason for wanting to revise my initial reaction to the pictures is that I was overly-influenced by my personal disappointment of the Lizard ...I still am & I'm even more confused now about the uniformity ,or not, of Minimates in general. I don't 'hate' the Lizard but WTF what an opportunity missed ! I could elaborate but that wouldn't really keep this topic rolling .....or should I now say hovering ...the right way .

I'll gladly accept the position of Vice Grumble. I think the disappointment stems from the fact that they sculpted the battle beast, showing us that they CAN do it, but give us a Killer Croc-esque Lizard instead. I guess they spent more time figuring out how to do a proper Thing and other pieces which led to things like Jubilee not getting sculpted goggles. But they might surprise us in the end and give us a sculpted head for Lizard, you can only learn so much from a picture. For a while now we've been getting 2-in-1 minimates. It's hard to be in DST's shoes right now because one side wants the classic Minimate style, and the other wants bulkier pieces for the bigger characters. I'm in the latter group, and I think they should have had a sculpted head for the Lizard shown first then let people find out later that he has a regular head underneath. But they've been able to cater to both like with the Hydra soldier.

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All of the different pre-order options are in the store now. :)

Luke's recent campaign to get DST to listen must be totally applauded ....well done Luke :D ....

As much as I would love to take credit for this, these prototypes must have been in development long before my blog post from two weeks ago. :blush:

I suppose this is all we are getting for a while? Series 36 and the two marvel box sets will be released at SDCC and 37 shortly after. There is no hint of anything else for a while correct?

And the next TRU wave with Hulkbuster Iron Man.

The Thing's arms are ,as blacksun1520 confirms, slip-ons & are IMO the compromise that we'll have to accept if we are ever to get an accurate Hulk... I love some of the innovations & loathe others......I think Chuck is even on record as "not liking duck feet" !

It seems odd to me that, in the face of demand for bigger Minimates, DST keeps going through these contortions with odd slip-on shoulder pieces and powerhouse crotches and duck feet, etc, and continue to refuse the simplest solution: just make bigger 'mates.

The tools are already there; no need to continually invent these weird add-on pieces. Almost everyone likes the 2.5" and 3" scale differentiation for bigger characters. Just make them.

The tools are already there; no need to continually invent these weird add-on pieces. Almost everyone likes the 2.5" and 3" scale differentiation for bigger characters. Just make them.

I like the way you think.

YES

although, if this ever happened... they're waiting to release everyone in 2", so you'd have to buy the big guys again

Almost everyone likes the 2.5" and 3" scale differentiation for bigger characters.

Almost everyone-but Chuck. Funny how that's the most important part.

It would be interesting for them to wait until the Marvel line is losing steam (whenever that might happen) and then re-launch it with different scaled characters. That would be an easy justification to re-release bigger characters that don't really need to be released again now and could prolong the line.

Yes, 2.5 and 3 inch figures where sensible, please.

It would be interesting for them to wait until the Marvel line is losing steam (whenever that might happen)

I still think you are unreasonably pessimistic here ;) But I do think that proactive innovation is key. DST has done a pretty good job here, but perhaps if they give us bigger 'Mates now, they can better avoid this steam loss business later.

-I actually really like the Thing. I'm wondering if he'll have wrist articulation, though. I love the sculpted on detail of the rocks. The arms will take some getting used to... but I honestly to like this. The Thing up until now has been one of my favorite figures, but always seemed out of proportion with the big chest and hands and small everything else.

I do hope he gets a little rockier detail on his face.

I absolutely LOVE the trenchcoat version... going to buy so many of those variant sets!

-That six-armed Spidey looks very nice, but it's not how I imagined they'd pull it off either. The little bit of extra bulk will take some getting used to, but I think I'll be pleased overall when I have the toy in hand.

-That servitor gaurd is top notch, just like the comics! I guess I'll have to find a use for the Sentinels I bought and have been using in this capacity.

-I was hoping for a slip-on mask for Lizard to be more sculpted but this actually looks pretty good. I think more than anything, I'm hoping for some claw hands. That "final touch" would really make this figure look great.

-Prof. X looks good and maybe he'll even have the short-sleeved shirt underneath that chest piece with some spare arms/sleeves for that Jim Lee look?

-Warpath is my only let-down. I was really hoping for a redo of the classic version, just a little bulkier. Ah well. Beggar's can't be choosers.

I'm overall very, very pleased with this wave.

I still think you are unreasonably pessimistic here

I'm not putting a timeframe on when or saying it's soon, but Marvel Minimates will not be produced forever. The phrase is not 'There's only three things in life that are certain, death, taxes and Marvel Minimates.' I just believe (or at least hope) that with every wave, especially as they've now done most every A list character and most B listers, Chuck & Co. keep the inevitable end in the back of their minds and design each wave as a way to push the end back even further. That's all.

And I don't think I've said it yet, but I think I'll like this wave once I actually see the finished product. But what surprises me most is how many different possibilities for variants there are in this wave. There could have been a 90's Warpath, Man-Spider, Curt Connors or even a cool looking Thing as a variant. I can't think of a recent wave with that many options.

Edited by groundhog7s

I hate to double post, but I just wanted to point out that BBTS now has their pre-order up for this wave...and their prices are up more than previous waves...and more than Luke's Toy Store...and they don't offer singles or cases or personalized service like Luke.

I just thought it was important to point that out. I like BBTS, but I like Luke more.

Edited by groundhog7s

Since The Thing is covered with sculpted add-ons, here's hoping he's tampo-ed underneath. Then we can mix and match pieces to match our own tastes. (Like I did with Terminator Endoskeletons.) It's far easier to pull off provided pieces than sculpt new ones at home. :)

I ordered a set from Luke and an extra Spidey pack. I initially wanted to skip the regular Thing pack altogether, but I'll give him a chance. Maybe the production version won't look as bad as it appears in the promotional picture.

I am sure DST reads what we post on here as evident from the occasional post from DST employees. They can't make everyone happy since we all have different opinions. I am just happy that we are looking at wave 37. I don't think their is another toy line that has had this many waves of figures released. Be happy for what we have and complain about the real problems like the lack of QC of certain minimates like the latest Spidey box set.

This.

I'd rather have a Lizard without a sculpted head, than no Lizard at all.

I love you, DST. I love Minimates. Regardless of any gripes I have, I am your wh***, and will buy anything Minimate that you put out. Please don't stop.

I guess I'll have to find a use for the Sentinels I bought and have been using in this capacity.

I'll take them!! :)

Almost everyone-but Chuck. Funny how that's the most important part.

Yes, 2.5 and 3 inch figures where sensible, please.

I thought it was a legal issue. The Marvel license won't allow DST to make any above 2", which is why we get the bigger feet & the torso extenders, etc.

I thought it was a legal issue. The Marvel license won't allow DST to make any above 2", which is why we get the bigger feet & the torso extenders, etc.

I think it is in their Marvel contract, but from his responses in the Q&As it sounds like Chuck really likes the height limit too. And I actually agree, I don't collect DC but did end up with a Bane minimate and it just seemed all wrong to me. I like that Rhino and Kitty Pryde are the same size, that's the whole point of a uniform platform, ie block figures. And if they need bulk, my fave is still the blocky Defenders Hulk. But, way off topic...

So yeah, BBTS has jumped up to $29 with the previous wave and $30 for these. Sucks.

Edited by battlecat

I love this wave! My only dissappointment is the flat Lizard face, I would have much preferred a sculpted head. Otherwise, can't wait for these!

The wave is also up for pre-rder at BBTS but they have raised their price to 29.99! So that is up 5$ which may just turn me right on over to Luke's toy store!

Edited by gambitron

I pre-ordered on BBTS, only for the pile of loot option, though. The Thing caught my eye too. Like the bulky look. Much better than the other versions. For once, a Spidey worth getting.

too many parts are scuplted....not enough sculpted parts...we are a bunch of whiny bitches...these look good.

lets enjoy the fact it is 7 years since minimates debuted and we are STILL getting figures.

love it

moc847

Cheers to this mate!! I will raise my glass of scotch to that!

Jeff of the Miniacs

I like the Lizard the best and oddly enough, not having a sculpted head doesn't bother me... probably for the same reason the Killer Croc minimate's head or Penguin's lack of a nose didn't bother me. This is the only must-have in the wave for me.

I was disappointed in Professor X not having a safari jacket.

Warpath was what I expected.

The Spider-man is a decent addition for Spidey fans, but I'd be more interested in a Spiral.

Doombot and Thing do not interest me at all.