UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Wave 37 Spidey/lizard, profx/warpath, thing/doombot

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mine has the shoulder insignia too

does anyone have/know of a clear pic of the ben grimm mate from sdcc

I believe if you go back and look at the SDCC Minimate thread here you'll find some. I looked for it a few weeks ago, and found it with a little effort. He was basically in an orange jumpsuit not unlike the BSG Chief, and he had a pretty Kirby-ish face, if memory serves. It didn't look much like the one designed for the Secret Wars box.

It's a real bummer that we didn't get this bonus figure. My comic book shop has now entirely abandoned Minimate waves (which I'm annoyed about, because I'm a customer there and I bought them, but I guess it's not worth ordering a full case if basically only one guy is buying them), so I'm on the fence if I want these enough to order them online (from Luke, of course!).

That pic makes me wish DST hadn't rushed this wave onto shelves. Also in the above SDCC pic you can see that the regular Thing has a slipcover head and 3 fingered hands. I knew that we'd be getting the cheap looking TRU Thing head re-hash, but I was really bummed to see that he came with the old 2 fingered Thing mitts. BTW both Things look silly when standing side by side duye to the cutbacks on regular Thing. Ugh! I believe the word "Thing" has been used way to much in my thread. I'll stop now.

Edited by MINI_MYTE

That pic makes me wish DST hadn't rushed this wave onto shelves. Also in the above SDCC pic you can see that the regular Thing has a slipcover head and 3 fingered hands. I knew that we'd be getting the cheap looking TRU Thing head re-hash, but I was really bummed to see that he came with the old 2 fingered Thing mitts. BTW both Things look silly when standing side by side duye to the cutbacks on regular Thing. Ugh! I believe the word "Thing" has been used way to much in my thread. I'll stop now.

Actually, this wave wasn't rushed at all; this thread began May first, so DST had over half a year from when this wave was announced before it actually showed up to get it right. Heck, there were at least two waves of Marvel Minimates announced and shipped to TRU in that time, not to mention box sets, con exclusives, the MAX line, and probably several other things I'm forgetting. If anything, this wave was probably delayed as long as it was to cut costs in general and on the Thing figure in general. I suspect that the regular waves of Marvel Minimates for the specialty market aren't as big a priority any more, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them phased out entirely in favor of box sets, with the two packs being only sold at TRU.

Actually, this wave wasn't rushed at all; this thread began May first, so DST had over half a year from when this wave was announced before it actually showed up to get it right. Heck, there were at least two waves of Marvel Minimates announced and shipped to TRU in that time, not to mention box sets, con exclusives, the MAX line, and probably several other things I'm forgetting. If anything, this wave was probably delayed as long as it was to cut costs in general and on the Thing figure in general. I suspect that the regular waves of Marvel Minimates for the specialty market aren't as big a priority any more, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them phased out entirely in favor of box sets, with the two packs being only sold at TRU.

That seriously worries me if DST phases out the 2-packs aside from Toys R Us. As it becomes quite a pain in the butt sometimes to get the 2-packs at TRU stores. Sometimes they get in a descent amount...other times the waves don't show up at all in many TRU stores. So unless they start to carry every new wave online as well as in stores, I really don't want to see this fully happen.

Exclusives hurt toylines to me a lot more than help. They become scalper bait. Just look on ebay for any TRU exclusive Marvel Minimates and that is plain as day to see. Any time they pop up, the seller wants outrageous amounts of money...or even expect you to pay insane amounts of shipping and handling costs.

I find it especially annoying as of late that they release a 4-pack boxset and then to get anymore of whatever the boxset focuses on, it's become TRU exclusives.

Again, if they offered these online as well as in stores, actually gave everyone whom wants to collect these a chance, including those people overseas whom enjoy this line, then I would be concerned and typing all this stuff out.

Has anyone else noticed that the Warpath minimate has a brand new crotch piece sculpt? I just noticed this as I was taking apart & piecing together all 4 Warpath's from my case. After his belt is removed you'll notice that the rear horizontal overhang piece (found on all minimates except certain HALO mates) is gone. The front and back are identical now. You'll also notice a circular stamp or blemish indicating where the plastic was injected into the mould. I find this rather distracting, as 2 of the 4 Warpaths in my case had this blemish on the front of the crotch piece. The serial number was stamped on the other side. If time permits, I will post pics tomorrow. If you got one in hand check it out.

Edited by MINI_MYTE

Has anyone who has both been able to compare the Spideys from Wave 37 and TRU Wave 9?

I think I remember reading somewhere on the forum that the eyes looked different on the 2 releases.

Well, just got my order from Luke's today in which I got the classic Heroic Age set as well as this wave and can say that the head used for the 6-armed Spidey is supposed to be the one used on Classic Spidey and the Classic Spidey has the 6-armed Spidey's head...at least according to the back packaging pics.

I find it especially interesting how Classic HA Spidey gets full webbing detailing, but not 6-armed Spidey. Glad to see the new part to create the 6-arm look opens up a chance at Spiral and anyone else whom has multi-arms. Otherwise, it's another Spidey.

On the other mates... Professor X is awesome having the hoverchair now, though some things obviously would have really blown him out of the park. Alternate arms for the safari jacket look, no hole in his head, and maybe a bit more secure hoverchair opening compartment (for how to store the Prof in the chair). I'm still trying to get the blanket to stay in place somehow. Otherwise, more 90s X-Men=awesome.

X-Force Warpath is...well, Warpath. The knife belt is a nice and appreciated touch for sure. I'd like to maybe see this version of him redone as his regular costume version as well not only because it's better then the TRU one, but also because a lot of us never got that one. >_>

Doombot/Servobot...is bland for me as a troop builder. I dunno, something about him is just not that interesting. Maybe it's the hot pink color? Or Sentinel face? Dunno.

Thing is descent, though really would have been better if they had been able to do the Ben Grimm underneath all the new parts. It really hurts because now when you see the figure between the add-on parts, there's no rock patterns and makes it look odd. The new parts all over him really do bulk him up though. Just...kinda hard to move him a lot too.

Lizard... The lab coat/lizard tail parts are probably the best idea they could come up with to do his minimate, though would have been nice to have the ability to turn him into Doc Connors somehow. Hence also the head being a sad thing... A more 3-D lizard head that could cover a human Connors head would have been awesome...or at least just a more 3-D lizard head as the tampo on a regular minimate head thing is kinda meh...

These are of course just my thoughts on these guys. Still great to have, and in no way am I bashing having these new mates. Just mentioning thoughts on what could make them even better.

Just mentioning thoughts on what could make them even better.

That basically sums up what I feel is by far the biggest problem I have with Minimates . I'm loving what were getting in the Minimate line but I'm frustrated by how many are just not hitting the mark purely due to some poor attention to detail which often appears to be pure negligence rather than cost-cutting.

I will definitely be picking up the Professor X / X-Force Warpath and Spidey and Lizard sets. I'll pass on the Thing and Doombot. Since I'll be picking up that updated Thing / Human Torch at TRU I have no need to pick up the other Thing / Doombot set.

I'm not very fussed on the Things either - especially since there is no flight-suit Ben Grim underneath anymore. But i really would like Doom to have a couple of Servo-Guards.

Has this been confirmed yet? Do the servo-guards have no print under the torso-bulk-piece? I was hoping to display mine 'slimmed down'.

EDIT: Never mind - found my answer :(

Thanks for the pics! Are there tampos on the Doombot or Professor X chest blocks?
Nothing on Doombot, but you can see Prox X's in one of the pictures.
Edited by Nessex

• 2 weeks later...
I'm not very fussed on the Things either - especially since there is no flight-suit Ben Grim underneath anymore.

I find that the new Thing really finishes out the TRU FF wave. The Thing that came with Torch was severely lacking. The new Thing's head was a little bright so I switched it out with the TRU one and I'm pretty happy with how my team looks on the shelf with the w37 Thing.

Thanks to Luke and his amazing service I got mine over the weekend, together with some missing NYCC boxes.

You can really the how this line has evolved when you put the old Professor next to the new one, there is no comparison.

Thanks again Luke!

Thanks to Luke and his amazing service I got mine over the weekend, together with some missing NYCC boxes.

You can really the how this line has evolved when you put the old Professor next to the new one, there is no comparison.

Thanks again Luke!

My pleasure! :)

The custom cases should be arriving soon for those that ordered the full wave.