UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Wave 37 Spidey/lizard, profx/warpath, thing/doombot

I am all for bulked up minimates (as you can tell from my signature), but I think they went over the top with the sculpting on Thing. By adding every single crack it makes him look less and less like a block figure. I would have loved this same size arms and legs, but smooth, with the cracks tampo'd on.

Luke was able to say what I was thinking but couldn't articulate. I'm OK with bulky Minimates & sculpted parts as long as they maintain the aesthetics of a Minimate. Thing goes too far for my tastes. And do his hands look small to anyone else?

I will get them up for pre-order this evening - individual packs, cases, and FULL WAVES. :)

Full waves? You've got my money.

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest I was only really interested in regular Thing, Spidey, Lizard and the army builder. I've never been a huge X-Fan bar a few awesome characters like Beast, Nightcrawler and Multiple Man. Xavier and Warpath both look good but I don't have a dire need for either of them. I'm not surprised it's six arm Spidey, though I am glad it's not generic costume re-release #35. I am a little dissapointed he won't have a slip on mask but I always knew I was in the minority of people who prefered it if Spidey has one. Lizard looks alright, but I am dissapointed with the head. I was expecting them to re-use Battle Beast parts. Still he doesn't look too bad otherwise, but I know they could have done better. Thing looks good and I'm glad they bulked up the arm like Luke suggested. The army builder looks simpel and great so I guess it'll be back to scowering eBay for as many as I can get my hands on :P.

Warparth does nothing for me, same with the Servo Guards, but I wasn't excited for them anyway. The rest on the other hand are great. Lizard not getting a sculpted head doesn't bother me, and I really dig Spidey and The Thing.

I'll add that case to the list of things Luke will be getting money from me on in the very near future. :D

I'm not sure what I think. Really. My initial thoughts are that I like them. However I'd like to see what Thing looks like with a powerhouse chest and regular smashy hands. And an oldskool head. Though really, I think these guys look awesome.

I wish the Lizard had gotten a slightly sculpted head, but I love him none the less.

I will get them up for pre-order this evening - individual packs, cases, and FULL WAVES. :)

Great news! :highfive2:

I think the Thing looks freaky, though.

Edited by karamazov80

This is a surpsingly... surprising wave. There's a lot going on with Thing, but I think, given the character, there ought to be. I agree the sculpted cracks MIGHT be too much, but I'm more impressed with the step forward than I am (possibly) disappointed with sculpted cracks. Reserving judgement. The Servo Guard looks pretty awesome. Could be the 'Mate of the wave if not for...

Six Arm Spidey. I never thought I'd say it, but that is a great looking Minimate, and it should look just as great without the harness. Lizard, who I expected to be the stand-out of the wave is a bit bland. Not at all bad, mind you. Just bland, even if he is a welcome addition to the Spidey Rogues.

Prof. X in a suit? Huh. Why not the jumpsuit? I'm happy to have the hover chair, that outfit is just a weird choice. X-Force Warpath looks cool. Here's hoping the knives are updated as well.

High fives are in order.

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather have a Lizard with a snout -- but I'd rather have the head we're getting than a Battle Beast head. The Lizard isn't a crocodile, even when he had a snout it was quite short. Plus the BB one is attached to a helmet, so they'd have to make a new sculpt to use it anyway, and if they made a new sculpt they could just... make a new sculpt.

Anyway, haven't made my mind up on this wave yet, but that Spidey is rad. Guess this is where the 'new parts' budget had disappeared to when SDCC came a-knockin'!

Edited by battlecat

the real problem with the thing is his face. where is the detail? on all the other things they had great detail all over their body so WTF DST? maybe this will get changed in time for the release? if not i will be just as happy with the variant.

It is conceivable that Lizard will have optional, sculpted head included, and that it just wasn't shown. As for the "bulk" debate, I like bulk in some instances (like Defenders Hulk, for instance), but not when it makes a figure ugly. I think that's what has happened here. To me, the completely sculpted head looks weird (maybe if his eyebrows were moved down a bit. . .) and the overall proportions just don't work. Fortunately, I am still pretty happy with my V1 Thing, despite the lack of bulk. For some reason, the earliest Powerhouse Thing didn't do much for me, and neither does this new one.

The bulky extra parts here might be removable, but even so, with the head looking that way, I don't think much can save this guy. Maybe the production version of the figure will look better.

I actually do like the Trenchcoat version, though, as it hides a lot of the ugliness of the regular version of Thing.

Prof. X in a suit? Huh. Why not the jumpsuit?

I guess there is the chance that the other suit could be a tampo under the chest piece? Maybe he'll come with an extra set of rolled up sleeve arms too.

Now THAT would be the bees knees. I didn't even think about that. Do it, DST.

the real problem with the thing is his face. where is the detail? on all the other things they had great detail all over their body so WTF DST? maybe this will get changed in time for the release? if not i will be just as happy with the variant.

If they Photoshopped the face in, maybe the "scales" just got airbrushed out by mistake. I can't imagine they'll leave that one part of him blank for the release.

It is conceivable that Lizard will have optional, sculpted head included, and that it just wasn't shown.

Could be, I remember someone mentioning the idea to Chuck in an AA Q&A.

Edited by battlecat

Prof. X in a suit? Huh. Why not the jumpsuit?

I guess there is the chance that the other suit could be a tampo under the chest piece? Maybe he'll come with an extra set of rolled up sleeve arms too.

It is conceivable that Lizard will have optional, sculpted head included, and that it just wasn't shown.

I was surprised to see no one else speculating at these possibilities. I think we're all well aware of DSTs history of giving us multiple display options with at LEAST one figure per wave - Sentinel, Menace, Beast... Doesn't seem like it would be Thing, the Doombot, or Warpath. What would they come with? Spider-Man's harness will surely be removable, but is that "enough?" No, I'd guess that Lizard will have the parts to bulk him up (claws, feet, and head) and Xavier might have the jumpsuit under the jacket. I mean, why not make the jacket a tampo, otherwise?

Also, it looks like Connors' t-shirt will be removable for a Lizarded out look. HELL! We MIGHT get option Dr. Connors pieces. A pinned sleeve would be insanely cool!

Okay, CONVINCED it'll be Connors accessories, not more-Lizardy accessories. And on the Thing front... for me, I don't collect Minimates because they're BLOCK figures, I collect Minimates because they're AWESOME figures, and the best way to complete certain teams (currently). Therefore, what we're seeing with Thing, for me, is a natural evolution, and one that I absolutely love. More unique builds equals a more diverse display. If you prefer the old simpler look, you've got PLENTY of options to choose from. But, if you're looking for something that stands out from every other Minimate, now you've got these newly sculpted figs. I would LOVE a Juggernaut done in this style, since it would look a lot better than the Juggernaut Jr. I currently have.

I expected to see Prof. X in his Jim Lee-style shirt with the rolled up sleeves, not a suit. Something to customize, I guess.

You know, with the suit being a chest piece instead of painted on, there might be a Jim Lee-Style shirt underneath. They have been known to do easter eggs like that.

Also, unrelated to you Boyd, that head on The Thing is horrible. I can kinda dig all the sculpting, even though it's a little much, but that head just looks... cheap. Here's hoping the color's the same as the old Things so I can just do a head swap.

Xavier might have the jumpsuit under the jacket. I mean, why not make the jacket a tampo, otherwise?

Good point. Recent waves have generally contained several "2-in-1" type figures like the Hydra, Sentinel, Beast, Hound Rachel, various Iron Men, etc. etc.

The bulky suit seems to be a giveaway. Astral Plane Prof X. (isn't that when he wore the black jumpsuit? Was it when he was with Lilandra?) is a very possible alt. look. But I think the "safari" jacket is more likely.

Edited by karamazov80

I'm overall fairly happy. I wasn't expecting 6-armed Spidey. I do wish they had sculpted a new torso though. Maybe the final product will fit better (in that picture, it looks warped at the top).

As for the rest, I actually like Thing, though I do hope they work on his face. I can see where people are coming from though, since you can barely even see a Minimate in the figure, but I'm one of the ones from the "bulked can be better" camp, so I like the bigger Thing.

I wish the Lizard head had been sculpted, maybe as a slip over mask for a Curt Connor face, but he still looks good. He needs clawed hands though. There's been a couple over the years they could have picked from.

Warpath is kind of the dud of the bunch for me. It's basically the TRU version in black and gray. That being said, I liked the new X-Force, so I'm happy to put him next to Wolverine and X-23. It's just a shame that they probably won't give us any more from that team, especially since they said that he was rounding it out by his appearance in this wave. Wonder if they sculpted some blades for him this time, or just reused the same ones we've already gotten?

Like Xavier's chair, though I want to see some different angles on it. Hope it fits in the box!

Don't know much about that particular Doombot (or any, for that matter), but it looks pretty close to the custom one I've seen (Luke's?), so I'll take it. Doom needs henchmen anyway.

As long as we're playing the alternate looks game, here's some things I'd like to see:

* Slip over head and extra arms to make the Man-Spider

* Alternate head w/hair, alternate hand/arm to make Curt Connor

* Slimmed down Thing under bulked up Thing (for the purists)

* Alternate arms/legs (does he have legs?) and different tampo on torso for a different Xavier (for the X-fans)

Like Xavier's chair, though I want to see some different angles on it. Hope it fits in the box!

DST has done bigger boxes with the PX Ray/Slimer 2-pack from last year. But I don't see them using different sized shipping boxes to accomodate that for a regular Marvel wave. Maybe you'll have to put the chair together from a few different parts strategically situated in the packaging.

And I agree about Warpath. Dullsville, man.

New to this, but i thought id throw my 2 cents in. Really like the wave, but i felt like they were overcompensating a bit. Its now clear to me why the sdcc sets contained very little sculpt/reuse of parts where it should have been due(bishop scarf, jube details in general, domino, cable, and using wolverine again in general) It wasnt AA and DST being lazy, all their time went into massive sculpts for this wave. (Thing in its entirety, hover chair, glasses, new six armed piece etc.)

Lizard- As for sculpt on thing vs none on head of lizard...has anyone else noticed how tactical DST is with their releases. As they should be, it is a business after all. Its perfectly plausible that when deciding whether or not to sculpt the lizards head, they opted for "no" on purpose, simply because that way everyone will buy this lizard(because he is new) and then around wave 45, everyone will also buy a sculpted version, double the sales for a fan favorite. Im trying to think of any of the major characters(ones that have been redone in many versions) that has a simpler minimate version entering later.(except arguably for the new cable and deadpool, which i dont consider in the category of "major")

Thing (s)-Again, same business mentality for this version for the thing, this is what, the 5th-6th,6th- 7th versions of the thing. what else could they have done. lol. "out-to-dinner thing" " thing with blue jeans" "the thing...but eating a sandwich" haha! you get the point, id prefer this version to another very very lame version that does nothing for anyone and comes off as lazy at best(shirtless wolverine) And we know we are all gonna buy it. Its the first of its kind. a step in minimate evolution.(and eventually necessary for the line to survive) Kinda like hulkbuster, which contrastly ive heard nothing but good things about. If everyone ends up hating it...they prob wont do it again. If it ends up meshing well, they will keep it up. Ill reserve an opinion till its in my hand.

Prof X- awesomeness, enough said

spiderman- Turning it into doppleganger immediately.

warpath-stoked, but how does it round out anything? im really asking cause thats confusing.

the rest-...meh

Just my thoughts. Could be way off base, like i said, new to this.

Xavier might have the jumpsuit under the jacket. I mean, why not make the jacket a tampo, otherwise?

Good point.

The bulky suit seems to be a giveaway. Astral Plane Prof X. (isn't that when he wore the black jumpsuit? Was it when he was with Lilandra?) is a very possible alt. look. But I think the "safari" jacket is more likely.

I was actually in the middle of a Prof. X hoverchair custom when this wave was announced. I stopped midway to see if they went with the suit or the safari jacket. I'm hoping they give us a two-fer here as well. If not, the torso from a BSG Galen Tyrol will work pretty well for a quick custom.

Hmm... Nice to finally see what we were told was to be in this wave, but like other people have said...

No custom head for Lizard? I guess we're going for a combo of modern meets classic Lizard or something there for why? Least he has a tail.

Glad to see Professor X's hoverchair, but something seems off about the Professor X figure itself... Maybe the face not looking very Jim Lee-ish next to the other 90s X-Men, or that he isn't wearing the outfit that went better with the chair...

Thing is definitely WAY more bulked up then he was previously. I kinda like it, but his face needs rocky details too if they're going to go with this.

Six-armed Spidey is a nice plus as it opens up chances to get Spiral and Doppelganger now down the line...if it works out okay given the piece needed to emulate six arms...

Doombot looks good too, they didn't get lazy and just make Dooms with different heads or anything...though why Doom though pink was menacing on his bots...

Warpath adds to the modern X-Force we have going. Now deliver Archangel, Wolfsbane, Elixir, Vanisher, and Domino and we're good.

I am all for bulked up minimates (as you can tell from my signature), but I think they went over the top with the sculpting on Thing. By adding every single crack it makes him look less and less like a block figure. I would have loved this same size arms and legs, but smooth, with the cracks tampo'd on.

Luke was able to say what I was thinking but couldn't articulate. I'm OK with bulky Minimates & sculpted parts as long as they maintain the aesthetics of a Minimate. Thing goes too far for my tastes. And do his hands look small to anyone else?

this is exactly my point... they've gone far too far in this case

I am a little dissapointed he won't have a slip on mask but I always knew I was in the minority of people who prefered it if Spidey has one.

couldn't agree more... it doesn't make spidey look too big or whatever has been suggested... with his head a little larger, the body itself looks smaller and more slender, perfect for spidey.

And on the Thing front... for me, I don't collect Minimates because they're BLOCK figures, I collect Minimates because they're AWESOME figures

fair enough... me too, i don't collect them because they're block figures.... but they are, and when something is this different, it'll stick out like a ugly sore thumb

I actually like the Lizard Minimate it has a flavour of first appearance about it which I seem to remember didnt have that much of a snout.

Prof X is ok but I agree the face is a bit off.

The others I can take or leave. The six arm Spidey is cleverly done giving those that dont have a Spidey a chance to get one. I would love a Doppleganger further down the line.