UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

General Minimate Pictures Thread

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That looks amazing! Would really love to see the process you have for making these and the materials involved...if you wouldn't mind sharing.

Hey thanks man!

The process is pretty simple, if time consuming. First I went out and bought some foam boards (of various varieties to see what worked best), cut them into a more manageable size (around six inches high or so and a bit longer), and started marking off bricks. I measured off every quarter inch, drew lines straight across using a simple sharp No.2 pencil, and then did the same for the intersecting lines. After that, I painted all the bricks a base coat of grey, and then each brick individually red. A steady hand and a good movie later, I had it done. Then, I diluted some black and washed it over the bricks to make'em seem old.

It's fun and easier than you think, you should totally give it a whirl. All you need to get started is the foam, something sharp to cut it, a pencil, a ruler, and some paint (with brushes).

As for the specifics of the foam board, I've found that two varieties are working best for me right now. The standard stuff that you can get at a craft store for like a buck a sheet (the kind that's normally used for science fair displays) and works alright. I like it better when I can peel off the top sheet paper to give me some cheap texture, but it's really cheap and easy to find. The newest one I did was with Cellfoam 88, which is essentially just the foam that's found in the foam board. It's super light weight, real easy to use, but a bit harder to find and a bit more expensive. I bought a package of three 12x12 sheets for about $5.50.

I hear the way to go, however, is insulation foam. It's thicker. cheaper, and supposedly works wonders. I'll let you know how it works when I get my hands on some.

Good luck!

I started to make thing like this to my minimates too! I don´t know the right name in english (since I´m Brazilian) but I´m using a type of foam that´s harder and plain, here we call it Depron Foam (you can googled it in english). It´s easy to cut and it don´t make crumbles when you cut it.

The best part is that you can make the bricks, grooves and "damages" on the wall just "drawing" them with a pencil or a pen cap.

I made a castle ruin to use with the Invaders attacking Red Skull and the Hydra and I´m making now a street corner and a rooftop diorama. All the wall and structures are finished. Just have to paint all the pieces, glued them and it´s done!

Edited by Gregio

1. I was trying to recreate this cover.

2. The Iconic Cap pose... With a twist

3. A stare down between Deadpool and the Punisher.

I give up...why can't you post pictures ?

Go to the 'more reply options'

Choose a file from your stash.

Attach the file (load it)

Add to the post .

THANK YOU!! biggrin.png

post-9963-0-28110000-1407904966_thumb.jp

post-9963-0-09022700-1407904985_thumb.jp

post-9963-0-76752600-1407905030_thumb.jp

post-9963-0-50668400-1407905060_thumb.jp

post-9963-0-30882000-1407905088_thumb.jp

Still have a sickness, still making dioramas. This time I made a dungeon and found a great use for my Riot Spidey. It's win-win!

Hbm1AP6.jpg

Add some dramatic lighting...

qp2rC8B.jpg

And also, I tried my hand at something that wasn't rock-based and tried my had at some kind of futuristic military base. I pulled out the Protector to help me out because that guy doesn't get enough play.

8WmIyKv.jpg