UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

General Minimate Pictures Thread

There is some post processing I do, edit out the edges of the acrylic stands I put the figures on (which are clear, so they blow out SUPER easy), I boost black levels, up the contrast about 20%, adjust the exposure if I need to, and bring out a little extra sharpness. The last thing I do, and the most painstaking is editing out any color fringing on the edges because I am shooting against solid white.

I shoot in a homemade light box that I made with the tutorial here: http://digital-photography-school.com/how-to-make-a-inexpensive-light-tent

And I shoot with a good camera (Canon Rebel T3i) and a good lens with a custom white balance set for the day bulb I use... I've been using the Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L USM almost religiously since I bought it. Manual settings give me a lot of control, for example I shot those Deadpool pics with an f/stop of f/22 to bring it ALL into focus, with a really slow shutter speed mounted on a tripod, so I could leave the ISO at 100 to avoid any noise/grain.

Wow - thanks for the detailed run-down. I'v been an avid analog photographer for years & am thinking about getting into Digital.

That lightbox tutorial is fantastic. Thanks for the link, man!

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is some post processing I do, edit out the edges of the acrylic stands I put the figures on (which are clear, so they blow out SUPER easy), I boost black levels, up the contrast about 20%, adjust the exposure if I need to, and bring out a little extra sharpness. The last thing I do, and the most painstaking is editing out any color fringing on the edges because I am shooting against solid white.

I shoot in a homemade light box that I made with the tutorial here: http://digital-photography-school.com/how-to-make-a-inexpensive-light-tent

And I shoot with a good camera (Canon Rebel T3i) and a good lens with a custom white balance set for the day bulb I use... I've been using the Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L USM almost religiously since I bought it. Manual settings give me a lot of control, for example I shot those Deadpool pics with an f/stop of f/22 to bring it ALL into focus, with a really slow shutter speed mounted on a tripod, so I could leave the ISO at 100 to avoid any noise/grain.

Wow - thanks for the detailed run-down. I'v been an avid analog photographer for years & am thinking about getting into Digital.

No problem man! Photography is a big love of mine, and luckily I've even had some actual success in the field. For one year I was granted a real honor of getting a contract to shoot the Mattel WWE figures, aside from doing work for smaller companies here and there. One day, I hope to be able to do this, and make a solid living at it. That's the dream, and the goal anyhow.

I've (honestly, and embarrassingly) have never shot analog, it's something I'd love to do though. The idea of developing my own film intimidates the HELL out of me.

That lightbox is FANTASTIC, by the way!

I shoot in a homemade light box that I made with the tutorial here: http://digital-photo...sive-light-tent

No problem man! Photography is a big love of mine, and luckily I've even had some actual success in the field. For one year I was granted a real honor of getting a contract to shoot the Mattel WWE figures, aside from doing work for smaller companies here and there. One day, I hope to be able to do this, and make a solid living at it. That's the dream, and the goal anyhow.

I've (honestly, and embarrassingly) have never shot analog, it's something I'd love to do though. The idea of developing my own film intimidates the HELL out of me.

That lightbox is FANTASTIC, by the way!

What camera would you suggest for stop motion films?I'm starting a new web series with minimates called the multiverse(it will have story,seasons,episodes,scenery,effects....)and i need a good camera.

Unless you plan on using any depth of field, any basic digital camera would be suitable. Heck, if you're shooting for a DSLR, the Canon Rebel XSi isn't a bad one, it's a really good introductory/entry level camera as far as DSLR's go... and it was my first. If you shoot tripod mounted, the EF 50mm f/1.8 mark II is a HELL of a lens for a STEAL of a price.

All that said, the best advice I can give you is to shop around a little, and check out some video reviews. If you do delve into using any DSLR, a good thing I recommend is picking up a few books to learn how to shoot in manual (to get the most out of your camera and learn the basic fundamentals), and to read your users guide front to back.

---Oh, and I missed the Hope shots... *SCREAM* THAT IS SOOOOO AWESOME! Between The Walking Dead set, the Spidey bust, and this... my wallet wants to have a talk with Diamond Select. It's going to be so thin and sad after SDCC. :(

Edited by AdamBomb

Unless you plan on using any depth of field, any basic digital camera would be suitable. Heck, if you're shooting for a DSLR, the Canon Rebel XSi isn't a bad one, it's a really good introductory/entry level camera as far as DSLR's go... and it was my first. If you shoot tripod mounted, the EF 50mm f/1.8 mark II is a HELL of a lens for a STEAL of a price.

All that said, the best advice I can give you is to shop around a little, and check out some video reviews. If you do delve into using any DSLR, a good thing I recommend is picking up a few books to learn how to shoot in manual (to get the most out of your camera and learn the basic fundamentals), and to read your users guide front to back.

---Oh, and I missed the Hope shots... *SCREAM* THAT IS SOOOOO AWESOME! Between The Walking Dead set, the Spidey bust, and this... my wallet wants to have a talk with Diamond Select. It's going to be so thin and sad after SDCC. :(

Thanks for the tips!;)

In response somewhat to Jatta Pake:Minimates-BlueHal02.jpg

Barry: There, there. Those people aren't from our multiverse. They can't get you. It's going to be alright.

So much thanks to Shamrock for letting me get his Saddest Little Lantern custom from him. It really is beautiful.

Barry: There, there. Those people aren't from our multiverse. They can't get you. It's going to be alright.

So much thanks to Shamrock for letting me get his Saddest Little Lantern custom from him. It really is beautiful.

Great picture but for some reason it makes me think of the Alan Scott now.

Great picture but for some reason it makes me think of the Alan Scott now.

lol, home run!

Simply said, his is different. It's not quite "nothing to do with the Green Lantern Corps" but it's close. In post-Crisis/pre-new 52 continuity, he is powered by the Starheart, which is... the sentient heart of a star where the Guardians channeled the magical powers of Earth 1. It fell to earth in a green flame, someone made a green lantern out of the meteor, and later the green lantern told Alan Scott how to make a green ring. Pre-crisis, He was on Earth 2, where the GL Corps didn't even exist. Post-crisis he remains only very loosely connected to GL Corps and Oans. The Oans apparently caused the weakness to wood because an earlier possessor of the Starheart on earth got out of hand and locals needed some help taking him down. But the Starheart forgot about that because I guess stars don't have very good memories. I think he might be an honorary member of the GL Corps now, or rather was an honorary member prior to the most recent reboot. I guess now he's back on Earth 2 where there is no GL Corps again?

Simply said, his is different. It's not quite "nothing to do with the Green Lantern Corps" but it's close. In post-Crisis/pre-new 52 continuity, he is powered by the Starheart, which is... the sentient heart of a star where the Guardians channeled the magical powers of Earth 1. It fell to earth in a green flame, someone made a green lantern out of the meteor, and later the green lantern told Alan Scott how to make a green ring. Pre-crisis, He was on Earth 2, where the GL Corps didn't even exist. Post-crisis he remains only very loosely connected to GL Corps and Oans. The Oans apparently caused the weakness to wood because an earlier possessor of the Starheart on earth got out of hand and locals needed some help taking him down. But the Starheart forgot about that because I guess stars don't have very good memories. I think he might be an honorary member of the GL Corps now, or rather was an honorary member prior to the most recent reboot. I guess now he's back on Earth 2 where there is no GL Corps again?

I hadn't even heard that much. Plus, isn't the ring powered by magic, and not Will? And was the Guardians' involvement from the Golden Age, or has it been retconned recently?

As to why he has the name? He was Golden Age. In Silver Age, they decided to use the same name, but change everything else. It's like Invaders Human Torch android vs. Johnny Storm.

I never-cared-for-Alan/preferred-the-Corps before this publicity stunt, and knew this confusion would take place after.

I really wish they had gone the route Marvel did. Northstar's wedding felt like how the character would respond to the country dealing with the issue, and therefore more real and not forced. I have a gay aunt, so it would've been cool to see something with Batwoman/The Question. Instead, it just feels like DC tried too hard, and comes off a little in bad taste, IMO.

Edited by TENIME_art