UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Halo Minimates

• Replies 776
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, BHM. Did you know that if you hit that little number button in the upper right had corner of each post, it will open a URL that will like you directly to that post?

I confess that I didn't know. Thankyou TM2.

I have to admit I'm changing my mind about Halo mates. At first, I thought they were a good idea, but now I think they might be the end of things as we know it. As quoted above, the Halo Minimates resulted in someone thanking TM2 for something (and meaning it) and also for bhm saying something that wasn't snarky or a pun. Seriously, where will this all end?

Edited by groundhog7s

I've gone from excited to lukewarm on these... and you know why...

The IM2 Minimates!

I have to say that I hate most of the new IM2 armors, they are overdoing the sculpted parts and some of those that are sculpted aren't done that well, Id actually go as far as to say some of it IMO looks positively amatuerish. The legs of the MKIV for example look terrible, not sure if DST changed who is doing their sculpting or just trying to rush out more stuff but for things like armor all I see is a huge step backwards.

I my worry is that these will just continue down the same slippery slope.

T.

'Snarky' ? ........ :(

DST are going forwards & I reckon many of the old guard collectors won't be going forwards with them,I'm sorry to say. Ghostbusters .....which I really liked....were the point of no return ,the innovation,the detailing & more importantly the deviation from the simple characters confirmed it....Minimates have moved on. I know little of Halo other than it is (was?) a huge licence but my sarcastic comment about BSG guys looking similar is like most sarcasm...... forged in the foundry of truth. I guess if Halo 'mates had been produced first & then I'd seen the 'new' BSG 'mates I would have said similar about the BSG 'mates. 'Armour' seems to be the deal ,especially with 'Halo' & 'Battle Beasts' ......OK that's the nature of the beast but this years favourite Minimates were simple fellows oozing character & class without betraying their roots .....Original X Men & a guy who was news to me ....Deadpool. I don't mean to imply that a comparison can be made between Halo / Battle Beasts & spandex-clad mutants but if Chuck insists on the prefabricated nonsense of "maintaining 2" scale with Minimates" then let's see some of this alleged 'uniformity' shine through in the licences. I have to agree with Tim about oversculption (oversculpture?) albeit poorly executed.....single pack IM2 drones for example. I bought these in high expectation but after the initial euphoria they remind me now of something that came with my Cornflakes when I was a kid. If you've forgotten WTF this has to do with Halo then forgive me but Marvel will always be the seller....always was & always will be....so let's keep that line's blood pure & if some of the other lines want to diversify ...Amen!....but don't compromise the Marvel figures with experimentation that sucks. Bandy legged Iron Man & unique-headed drones wreak of "let's see if that works".

Edited by buttheadsmate

I understand some of the apprehension here about the excessive detailing on 'mates like BSG and Halo. And I can sympathize a bit with the feeling that the line may be starting to grow into something we might not all readily embrace.

However I have to take offense at this particular comment:

I have to agree with Tim about oversculption (oversculpture?) albeit poorly executed.....single pack IM2 drones for example. I bought these in high expectation but after the initial euphoria they remind me now of something that came with my Cornflakes when I was a kid. If you've forgotten WTF this has to do with Halo then forgive me but Marvel will always be the seller....always was & always will be....so let's keep that line's blood pure & if some of the other lines want to diversify ...Amen!....but don't compromise the Marvel figures with experimentation that sucks. Bandy legged Iron Man & unique-headed drones wreak of "let's see if that works".

My beef specifically is with the charge that the unique-headed single pack Hammer Drones were "poorly executed". If we were talking about the movie prototype with the "round" head that also appeared as the specialty wave army builder I can understand that.

However, to call the heads of the Ground/Air/etc. drones a lousy design as well? I'm sorry, but that doesn't sit well with me. It's right there in the source material, it's specifically stated in the movie itself that

the distinctly nonhuman "pinhead" designs of the new drones Whiplash designed were

intentional

. Honestly,what did you expect DST to do, give them a slipover mask instead?! You might as well be asking them to give Stilt Man duck feet instead of, well, stilts.

Don't get me wrong, I sympathize perfectly with all your other concerns about current Minimate designs being a tad too "busy". However I am personally of the opinion that while the rest of the IM2 line itself wasn't stellar (I'll admit I'm not a fan of these new bulkier, less finely-sculpted armors myself), I believe the "pinhead" single pack assault drones were actually the better-executed of that lot.

To keep this post on topic: For everybody's sake I am going to hereby uphold a "Cautiously Optimistic" stance on these upcoming Halo' mates. I may not be much of a gamer but I will admit to being intrigued by the look of these armors.

I always appreciate your comments NR, they are always constructive. I concede that DST hardly had a choice with the drones' heads ...they took the only choice.....the DST choice .....the easy choice. Perhaps my choice of the drones as an example was not the best unless you consider that from what I've seen the drones are somewhat bigger than Iron Man in body-size yet their heads would be proportionately the same size? I take my view from what I've seen on the trailer & perhaps I'm wrong but there is a scene with Rourke right alongside one & I know he's got a big head but they (their heads) look about the same size to me. If I'm wrong you'll read the 'sorry' word but IMO the drones' bodies should be bigger ......but 'WE' don't do bigger than 2" size do 'WE'.

I agree with what some of you are saying, I have no problem with the different MiniMate lines using different styles to remain distinct, but the Marvel Mates need to be more tampo detail based, with less dependancy on additional parts for detailing, simply because that's how we fell in love with them in the first place.

I can't blame DST for wanting to cut costs by reusing parts and molds where they can, as long as they keep the Marvel line ahead of the curve and not rely on parts molded for other lines for the primary line.

For the Halo mates, particularly because the armored-up look is appropriate for them, I think the additional parts fit.

Having said that, I would like DST to invest some time retooling the 'armored boot' pieces for the Halo mates, and all other mates in general. The bulkyness of the boots can be slimmed down a little to allow for them to "keep their legs together" (go ahead and run with that one BHM! :) ), instead of the waddling look they sometimes get because of the 2 boot pieces side-by-side.

Edited by youbastards

Andimus, your avatar is really freaking me out, man.

Says the man with the avatar from a David Cronenberg movie :P

As for the Halo Mates it's the marine I'm most concerned with, he just looks like a busy mess. I really wouldn't mind if he just had most of his armor tampo'd on, it would make the Spartan's look more striking and badass in comparison. I also can't really complain about the Elite because I honestly couldn't come up with anything better and I'm really banking on this set being cooler in person.

CRAP! Now I really want to watch Videodrome.

Edited by Andimus Prime

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm worried about these following down the Mcfarlane path and just giving us endless, meaningless variations. It it were me, for the first few waves I would release characters from the games, and then instead of just pumping out non-characters, I'd start in on the Red Vs Blue characters. I don't know if they're allowed to, but I'd love to see the actual names of the characters on the packs.

I like RvB.

A majority of the Halo audience plays the game for the mult. player, not campaign, so I'd expect the most popular would be the armor variations. McFarlane seems to be doing fine in their methods (they're going on wv 10 i think), where every wave has 3-4 spartan variation, and 2-3 campaign characters. DST has showed protos of plenty of Reach and 'covs, so I don't think we'll be drowned with Spartans

• 3 weeks later...

im realy liking set 2 especially Chieftain he looks wicked

The new Chieftain looks great, as well as the cyan Mark VI Spartan. Very excited for these guys.

BTW, does anyone know if the rumor that the Halo minimates are coming to Target true? I don't have a TRU near, and will probably end up buying em off the internet, but if Target has them that'd be great.