UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Doctor Who... back on?

I was at an LCS I frequent the other day, and the owner and I were discussing why he still won't pick Minimates back up, something I bug him about every time I visit (primarily because he thinks DST's release schedule sucks, and that they were "scraping the barrel for characters at this point" – tsk...).

Anyway, he said it's unlikely he'll start carrying Marvel again, but that he was "thinking about stocking the Doctor Who Minimates they showed at the Memphis Retailer's Summit."

Jigga-whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

Now, this guy is no TRU register jockey idiot; he knows what's what, being a comic store owner. And I asked him very carefully, When was this retailer summit? and Are you sure it was Doctor Who and not, like, Iron Man 2 or something? And he said it was a retailer event about a month ago, and swore it was Doctor Who, and that there was a little Tardis and everything.

This was at 11 in the morning, and I remember everything else that happened that day, so it wasn't a dream.

And, like I said, comic store owner, so, not an idiot.

Can anyone verify this? Is DST really shopping Who around?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh my.

I really can't think of any other explanation, except that Underground Toys did say they might consider reviving Doctor Who mates "sometime in 2010".

Plus, judging by their website (and Twitter) they're having a big push for Who product this year, seeing as they just renewed their contract and that the new series just started.

But honestly? I! DON'T! KNOW!

Edited by NorthRaider

Gott. Im. Himmel.

Now this I didn't expect at all. Exciting news for Who fans. I've never watched it. But I figured this line was off hanging out with The Godfather. No. Not even that far. They got to protos with Godfather. This line was hanging out with the theoretical I Robot minis back in the day. Well. This is exciting.

Now DST, I command thee to grab the Hobbit License to alleviate my pain at the death of LOTR wave 3.

Well, I'm hoping I didn't just turn an unsubstantiated rumor into what would be a great disappointment if it's not true. There were a lot of skinned knees and drippy noses over this franchise the last time. Hopefully it's not a repeat.

Mostly I was hoping someone who knows someone had some more inside info...

"One new license to announce in 2010..."

Hmm...now i'm wondering if it was M.A.X., since it isn't really a license more or less company-owned material, or now Who. I know not when Memphis' Summit was...but i guess we aren't supposed to "know about it" publicly, so this is even more mysterious.

I pray that it is. I like my Who here and there, but a friend of mine is a die-hard religious watcher, and if i could find these i'd know she'd be thrilled.

Dr. Who minimates... little Dalek armybuilders... robot dogs... floppy, wide-brimed hats over ridiculous scarfs... oh my.

I hope this isn't a wild rumor.

Suddenly I'm getting a very funny feeling about C2E2.

Apparently Diamond Comics will be holding its own Retailer's Summit there, plus C2E2's hosting a special preview of the new Matt Smith episodes of DW.

Could it be...?

Edited by NorthRaider

Well, I'm hoping I didn't just turn an unsubstantiated rumor into what would be a great disappointment if it's not true. There were a lot of skinned knees and drippy noses over this franchise the last time. Hopefully it's not a repeat.

Mostly I was hoping someone who knows someone had some more inside info...

When the previous thread was closed http://www.minimatemultiverse.com/index.ph...mp;#entry129519 I was initially surprised . It was however the best way of dealing with what had become bitter disappointment for a lot of people.

'Hope springs eternal' or whatever but can everybody please read through that thread before we turn this one into a farce.

I'm pleased with the news,thankyou Lobsterman .........however....

..............I've no moderating powers but I'll be begging for this thread to be closed if it descends into the abyss again. For the record,I accept I was as much to blame as anybody else for that debacle.

I wish there was a way to put forth our desire for this to happen.. I would buy cases if this goes forward. I have the micro tardis and a larger battery powered one.. as well as some Time Squad Daleks and Cybermen.. Not fully sold on Matt Smith yet.. but I'm sure he'll grow on me.

Just do it! If Duff can get a mini.. why not the Doctor? I would trade my space whale for a minimate sized sonic screwdriver!!

Fantastic! allons-y!!!

P.S.

Does this mean we can start talking about Pond Wardens and how the name Beaulieu needs more vowels in it? :)

Edited by The Vox

At best, I'm a casual watcher of the show, mostly Xmas specials and the "big event" shows. But my parents love it, so do most of my friends, and most of my friends kids so it's probably got one of the broadest appeals of any franchise going. Heck, if I showed my Nan 3 minimates: one Spider-Man, one Iron Man, and one a Dalek, you bet your ass she'd recognise the Dalek before the others.

It's very iconic, especially for us Brits, and I cannot believe these wouldn't sell all across the World. Just look at the Time Squad stuff for something similar, they even had them in my local supermarket and they sold out.

With the success of the Marvel army builders, and the new Doctor arriving, this is the perfect time to announce something like this.

Can you imagine Cyberman & Dalek army builders!!! Even those potatos in armour looking things (someone help me out with the name, you know what I'm talking about!).

Can you imagine Cyberman & Dalek army builders!!! Even those potatos in armour looking things (someone help me out with the name, you know what I'm talking about!).

Sontarans! Awesome description :)

I always thought Doctor Who Minimates would be a success at the time (2006?) that Underground Toys first mentioned it, as Who was very mainstream and Character Options had had a lot of success with their New Who action figure line, even getting it imported to the States.

Now, a few years on, and in the middle of a downturn, perhaps not so much. Character Options didn't have the success with their Classic Who line, Torchwood figures were a non-starter, and there's a lot less merchandise on the shelves.

There is a buzz around it again with the latest Doctor and assistant, and the fact it's returned as a full series this year, but they've missed the boat for this upturn.

TL;DR version:

I would love it, no I don't think it'll happen.

The Sontarans :D That's a great description though.

What's a 'Dr. Who'? And why should I want Minimates of whatever it is.

I think prolonged exposure to the open air has finally stared to dry out poor ZombieHog's mind. I give it a week before all his posts degrade into "Iiitcheeee. Taaasteee."

Edited by Mirymate

Now I know what you're all talking about, that weird British show (yes, I know saying 'weird British' is redudant).

My brother-in-law of the last 15 years is a huge sci-fi geek, but his main focus is Dr. Who. He's one of those people that doesn't like Star Wars (I think because it's not hardcore-geek enough), barely likes Star Trek (and thinks that Tasha Yar was the hottest chick on any Trek), but was into Babylon 5 and Farscape. Really not my kind of sci-fi stuff. I remember the few times I'd mention something from Trek and I get that reaction from him like it was beneath him to even involved in the conversation. Yet, he's who my sister married and I kinda like the guy (although I'd have been much happier had she stayed with the Comic Carnival manager she was with for a time). So, when I think of Dr. Who, I think of my brother-in-law the accountant who goes to Who conventions and RPG workshops and I try to block it all out of my mind.

Sorry for the long story. I think any new Minimate license is grand (except for ones that invlove haunted genitalia).

I think any new Minimate license is grand (except for ones that involve haunted genitalia).

I believe that the Tardis is bigger on the inside than it looks from the outside . :huh:

i just spit my drink and made a loud nazel noise at work.. thanks BHM.. so much for my low profile surfing.

What's a 'Dr. Who'? And why should I want Minimates of whatever it is.

I think prolonged exposure to the open air has finally stared to dry out poor ZombieHog's mind. I give it a week before all his posts degrade into "Iiitcheeee. Taaasteee."

Or the more traditional "Braaaaaaaainsssss"