UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Psyguy's customs: More Marvel

Sir, write any amount on this piece of paper and i will pay it!

NBC-CHQ1-reduced.jpg

Those are just beautiful. I've toyed with making Hellions customs - i now see that there is not point. I can't compete!

A+

Thanks! I didn't think these would go down that well as they are pretty D-list characters.

I couldn't sell these....but if you want the decals let me know. I have a couple few commissions lined up but would be open to making another set in the future if anyone is interested.

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks! I didn't think these would go down that well as they are pretty D-list characters.

I couldn't sell these....but if you want the decals let me know. I have a couple few commissions lined up but would be open to making another set in the future if anyone is interested.

D-List? They are the REASON that the White Queen is now an X-Man!

Ok, so maybe that doesn't really elivate them above D-listism, but they are a great part of X-history and fantastic customs.

Did you have much trouble matching the paint colours and the decal colours?

D-List? They are the REASON that the White Queen is now an X-Man!

Ok, so maybe that doesn't really elivate them above D-listism, but they are a great part of X-history and fantastic customs.

Did you have much trouble matching the paint colours and the decal colours?

Let's just call them aspiring A-listers. :D

I cheated a little on the decals. They are printed on clear decal paper on a chest piece painted half white, half pink, so the pink seen on the chest is actually the paint. Does that make sense?! I'm not sure I have explained that very well. It's late.

Edited by Psyguy

Amazing work as always! :thumbsup:

What brand/model of printer do you use to print your decals? I am still looking to replace my printer and just trying to get an idea of what other customizers use to print their decals.

It's a Lexmark Z500. It's really old and is on its last legs, the cartridges cost a fortune.....but it does print well. Last night it started making some strange noises, I fear it may have packed in. I have had it for about 10 years so I might be the one asking you for advice on a new printer soon! I would possibly be tempted to get another Lexmark, even though the cartridges are ridiculously expensive, they do tend to last and the quality of print is usually crisp.

Edit: One thing I will say is that sometimes the colour quality (especially flesh tones) is not as good as I would hope for.

Edited by Psyguy

I cheated a little on the decals. They are printed on clear decal paper on a chest piece painted half white, half pink, so the pink seen on the chest is actually the paint. Does that make sense?! I'm not sure I have explained that very well. It's late.

That's not cheating, that's clever! I used clear deacl paper once for Doc Manhattan, because I wanted to keep the translucent effect of the blank minimate.

Anyway, I've never heared of those guys but they turned out amazing! The colors are very bright, the deacls are sport on and the used parts seem to fit perfectly. I really dig your stuff, Psyguy!

thanks to your customs and me reading up on who the heck that team was after seeing them I can now fully appreciate this promo art for the new series of new mutants issues.

NEWMUTANTS025_Cov_Col_02.jpg

thanks to your customs and me reading up on who the heck that team was after seeing them I can now fully appreciate this promo art for the new series of new mutants issues.

NEWMUTANTS025_Cov_Col_02.jpg

Yeah, I saw that on CBR today! Interested to see how it pans out. Think The Hellions are due a resurrection that sticks.

Finished Bevatron, he was Firestar's replacement in The Hellions, but I think he only appeared in a couple of issues.

post-1790-1299010885_thumb.jpg

I also put together a simple Crystal. I'm sure the Inhumans must be on their way but she didn't take long so I thought I may as well make her. I'm not totally happy with her, I need to get her some modified boots.

post-1790-1299011002_thumb.jpg

Bevatron is the dumbest name I've ever heard. Nice custom, though.

Yeah - i think he was name after the Particle Accelerator of the same name?

They both had something vaguely to do with bio-electric charges?

• 1 month later...

So....

Not had too much time for customizing recently, but have been able to put together a couple of commissions in the last week.

Here is DC's Phantom Stranger, I wasn't too familiar with the character but my custom is heavily influenced by Boyd's. Mine has a modified Mandarin cloak, Spirit hat and Bucky face. His chain was cut from Indiemate Kabuki's weapon and the medallion is milliput.

post-1790-0-97307000-1302985312_thumb.jp

Fire is made with Witchblade hair and New X-Men Jean's head. I think her torso was Rachel Grey's. I had seen a few other customs of her on the boards. I can't seem to track the threads down at the minute, but I know bobafett's was one I looked at.

post-1790-0-43449600-1302985405_thumb.jp

More to come soon, thanks for looking!

not a fan of fire (and ice) but great looking custom, i love your phantom stranger and i must say that bucky head works so great for so many characters :D

I'm a fan of the Bucky head too! I'm not a follower of DC but am enjoying making some customs. Here's Ice to go with Fire. Again, I looked at some others customs on the boards, I think I remember bobafett doing a similar design. She has Black Widow hair and a Captivity Six face. Her boot tassles are sculpted.

post-1790-0-87679200-1303400315_thumb.jp

I'm not familiar with the character, but great sculpting, Psyguy! Got any tips for sculpting small, fine details like that? What sculpting compound are you using?

Thanks! I am using basic Milliput at the minute, although I have heard other board memebers using Fixit sculpt and Apoxie sculpt. I like Milliput because it sands down well, and if I am sculpting larger pieces a little water on my fingers helps to smooth and sculpt. This might be the same for other compounds but I haven't used anything else yet.

The tassles were rolled pieces of Milliput attached to the leg, I didn't use glue. When they were all in place I used a toothpick to add some texture. When the Milliput dries slightly it loses it's stickiness, which makes it pretty easy to add fine detail.

How does Apoxie Sculpt work for you?

Edited by Psyguy