UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Psyguy's customs: More Marvel

Very nice work. Destiny is a character i'm very much hoping we'll see in a Brotherhood box one day.

Pyro's hair is awesome! it looks great - like blonde fire! some really nice sculpting there.

Keep up the awesome work.

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

these are fantastic, i love coming on to the multiverse to see you've updated your thread, wonderfully professional looking stuff... and so consistent too

keep it up!

oh, I especially love Pyro, i've had him half made in my box o' tricks for a few weeks now, down to Yellowjacket chest and Eddie Brock face.... albeit with a modified old Ghost Rider hairpiece... great mind n' all that!

EDIT - i meant to ask, what does he look like from behind> can we have shot to see how you did the backpack please? i'm really not sure whether to build it from scratch or what.

Edited by bobafett

Thanks again for the comments!

Pyro's hair is the first I sculpted from scratch, it was quite fiddly but I'm quite happy with it. Starting to get a bit more confident with sculpting, so maybe I will finally tackle Sasquatch and Warlock.

Bobafett, I just tracked down your custom thread on here and found your Pyro design! I am also making a Toad at the minute so might take inspiration from your design if that's ok!? Great work.

Here's Pyro from the back. His flamepack was just a simple rectangle with a bit of detailing using a toothpick and "buttons." I'm not 100% happy with it but it will do for now. The only problem is that I didn't have anything flexible for the tubes, so he has lost some articulation in the arms.

post-1790-1283805370_thumb.jpg

After having a go at Pyro's hair, I made a Medusa. It was actually easier to work on a larger scale. I used a Magdalena hairpiece and sculpted over it. I'm still a relative beginner on face decals so I used a Gina BSG mate and painted the mask around her glasses.

post-1790-1283805541_thumb.jpg

Here's the sculpting from the back.

post-1790-1283805596_thumb.jpg

Haven't tried twisty ties, I have heard other board members mention them so maybe I should look into them, thanks!

Tenime, you're right about Destiny. That face is going to bug me. I find the spacing and proportions quite difficult on face decals. Is there a master face decal available that assists the scaling/spacing or is it usually trial and error?

I have a template with Bob Harris' Dr. Manhattan as the bottom layer. Then, I create a new layer on top, and just draw my eyes, mouth, ears, etc. over his (just make sure that you only save your layer and not the whole thing, or it might look kinda funny, lol).

The few I've printed up so far seem to look decent enough...

• 4 weeks later...

I can say that I am now the proud owner of 3 of Psyguy's pieces and they are absolutely beautiful! He made me a 1st costume Psylocke (One that I doubt they will EVER get around to and even if they do, she is worth it!) A Dazzler; I'm sure when they get around to Dazzler she will hair similar to Rachel Grey since this is the hairstyle that she is most commonly depicted in. I prefer her in her Outback look and the longer hair is just perfect. He also made me a body for an Outback Rouge. I have a head from the first Rogue with the smirk and a spare Beast's hair that I am going to use to complete her. Now all I need is a Longshot and my Outback X-men will be complete! This is by far my favorite era of the X-Men and am so happy to have them in Minimate form.

PsyGuy's communication, professionalism and work are top notch! If you are looking for custom 'Mates, this IS your guy! The painting is clean and is pretty durable. (I've been playing with them since I got them!) In my opinion, these look professionaly made. I hope to be able to post pics with them intergrated into my collection by this weekend. THEY LOOK AMAZING!!!!!!!! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Aw, thanks cut2thechase. Glad they made their way to you in one piece. Was a pleasure doing business!

Have completed a few more customs this week. First off is Jean in her classic Marvel Girl costume. She has a Star Trek Ilia Probe skirt and a modified classic Mandarin mask. The mask is pretty large but I kind of like how oversize it looks.

post-1790-1287341119_thumb.jpg

I have been working on mates of the "lost" X-Men from Deadly Genesis. Although they were only a team for one mission, there's something about them I find really interesting.

First up is the 3rd Summers brother, Vulcan. He has been modified from a Captain Marvel minimate and has a Black Bolt face with the eyes painted yellow. The upper chest detail is a decal from Luke.

post-1790-1287341324_thumb.jpg

Next is Sway. She has Betty Ross hair and BSG Boomer face. Her chest is a decal.

post-1790-1287341450_thumb.jpg

Finally is Petra. She has a Mary Jane face and hair. The mask is a decal on clear decal paper. Her skirt is from a classic Mandarin mate.

post-1790-1287341575_thumb.jpg

Im just waiting on a head to finish Darwin, and I will have Moira McTaggart's X-Men team completed. I know some of them are quite obscure characters but that's partlywhy I wanted to make them.

Thanks for all the comments/suggestions in the thread!

Edited by Psyguy

WOW! I can't add anything new - only re-state that yours is the best Marvel Girl i have seen to date. DST could not do better.

All of the characters look fantastic! I think Petra & Sway are both phenominal too.

But Marvel Girl . . . looks perfect - You have just nailed her! (wait . . . . that doesn't sound quite right ?!?!?!)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again for all the comments. I am in the middle of another Marvel Girl that I may put on ebay, which would be a first for me.

I was waiting on a Spectre head to finish off Darwin, and it just arrived. The chest decal is modified from Luke. I was considering painitng his head wth a wash of grey, suggestions???

post-1790-1288261483_thumb.jpg

Here's the Deadly Genesis team together. Thinking about making a Moira Mactaggert.

post-1790-1288261591_thumb.jpg

Finally, here's a custom I have been working on for ages, on and off. Blob has Emil Blonsky hair (thanks Binaryan, it's perfect) and a FA Beast face and arms, with modified Duck feet.

post-1790-1288261720_thumb.jpg

Thanks for looking!

oh JEEZ! i hope the AA/DST blob looks as good when (not if, when!) it gets released.

Seriously dude . . . 10/10!

Love your character selection and i think your quality just keeps getting better.

Thanks! I hope they release a Brotherhood box one day. Until then I will have to make do with my customs. I have Pyro, Blob and Destiny now, and am working on parts for Avalanche. There was a great design for him on the boards somewhere so I will have to track it down.

Just a small update today. The Firestar released in Series 11 (I think) has always really bugged me, so I'm in the process of replacing her chest decal for something more simple and giving her different hair with a mask attached. The official release always seemed to be a bit of a mash-up of different costumes she wore, so I have used her head to make an Avengers-era Firestar and her body will be used for a modified classic costume.

post-1790-1288736798_thumb.jpg

Hope you like!