UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Dr.Who

AdyCarter

I agree I'm not taken with "them".

DW Confidential did sell me more on "them" but still I will wait to see if they take. It says that the different colours are actually different from each other but I would have liked a bit more so we can actually see the differences.

I can actually see the KBO catchphrase catching on in internet chat etc.

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As an American who waited very patiently and avoided online temptation just to watch it on TV last night, I have to say it was good. The pace was a little frantic, but the new companion is great. I like the new Doctor so far, but I'm waiting to see what he brings to the Doctor (Eccleston's dark quality, Tennant's sense of humor).

Episode 4 was blinking :huh: excellent & the new guy has definitely established himself .

Professor River Song ....Amy Pond ....I'm noticing a link!

So somewhere in the future the Doctor is going to meet up with Jemima Puddle-Duck :whistling: I've actually got to watch episode again as I fell asleep through it and woke up at the titles.

Perhaps these ought to be in the ebay thread but............ http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/doctor-who-police-bo...=item3a59fce9da

.....& this made me laugh out loud http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Full-Size-TARDIS-Pol...=item3cac65f1fd

........the more I read, the more I cracked up.........Tardis on its side,vandalised & the owner in hospital "not responding to questions" .

You might like this as well ....

Edited by buttheadsmate

• 2 months later...

A small update seeing as the season apparently just wrapped up in the UK.

I'll try to keep as spoiler-free as possible, but I will say that I hope Eleven sticks around for a long time, hopefully at least as long as Ten. Much of the set-up & storytelling was pretty ace and personally I got this really "epic" tone from this season, which is definitely a good sign. I was also pleasantly surprised at how much I liked Rory as a companion, though I imagine he'd be a very YMMV subject.

A teensy-weensy spoiler for the two-parter finale though:

Honestly, if any part of that story didn't move you to bits then you have no soul

. Yes, I am still reeling from that one.

A small update seeing as the season apparently just wrapped up in the UK.

I'll try to keep as spoiler-free as possible, but I will say that I hope Eleven sticks around for a long time, hopefully at least as long as Ten. Much of the set-up & storytelling was pretty ace and personally I got this really "epic" tone from this season, which is definitely a good sign. I was also pleasantly surprised at how much I liked Rory as a companion, though I imagine he'd be a very YMMV subject.

A teensy-weensy spoiler for the two-parter finale though:

Honestly, if any part of that story didn't move you to bits then you have no soul

. Yes, I am still reeling from that one.

Having just watched the finale for S5 I have to agree with you NR, Great stuff ( I know it's not out here in the US yet, lets just put it down to timey wimey stuff B) ).

IMO the writing is way better that the last couple of seasons with Tennant/RTD where it became stale and predictable. I am going to put my hands up and admit I've admired Moffet's writing for a long time ( going back to his sitcom work on coupling and joking apart.) The guy is scarily smart and has always had a great ability to think/write 4 dimensionally which shines with DR?

As for Rory... totally agree, at first it seemed he was there just to stop any romantic shinanagans between the Dr and Amy, but I think that he's become a great companion in his own right.

The only thing that I didn't like was

that they promised to resolve the River Song thing this season and just left it hanging...

T.

The only thing that I didn't like was

that they promised to resolve the River Song thing this season and just left it hanging...

Personally I never really had any high expectations on them resolving that particular plotline right away. Even when they first introduced the character back in the previous season it sort of became implicitly clear to me that they clearly had long-term plans for her, especially given the enigmatic circumstances of

her exact relationship with the Doctor, and how she came to know him so intimately

I wouldn't be surprised if

River Song

would become one of those season-long recurring elements of the new Moffat-helmed episodes that would get built up for a while and then pay off in a big way somewhere along the line. We sorta saw that happen before with things like the Shadow Proclamation (started off as a "running gag" in the Eccleston episodes, later became a plot point four series later in "The Stolen Earth"), Bad Wolf (again, looked like it would only be relevant for one season at first) and Captain Jack (though that one extended to a whole 'nother series). And given this new tonal sensibility both Moffat and Smith are introducing to the show, I imagine a lot more promise for this hypothetical story arc.

(Or this could just be me being obscenely optimistic. For some reason I could never imagine something as "major" as

River killing a man and the implications thereof

being something they could just explain away alongside the bigger "cracks in time" arc of this season.)

I felt a tad disappointed with the finale, but that's probably because the penultimate episode was so bloody berserk and fantastic that they just couldn't go bigger. I can say with my hand on my heart that Matt Smith is my favourite Doctor. And I've known 9 of them!

Fantastic stuff. My worry with most 2-part cliffhangers (from Star Trek and DR Who and lots of things really) is that the second part is always a disappointment to the first part because they can usually throw more into the first one to actually set up the cliffhanger

But this, this was brilliant. Very moving, yet with some fantastically funny one-liners:

Fezzes are cool!

it ran me ragged throughout the episode yet managed to address all the plot points that had been brought up previously.

But this, this was brilliant. Very moving, yet with some fantastically funny one-liners:

Fezzes are cool!

it ran me ragged throughout the episode yet managed to address all the plot points that had been brought up previously.

Almost everything anyway. There's still the little wrinkle of

exactly what caused the TARDIS to go out of control in the first place and whose ominous "

Silence will fall" voice that was

, not to mention that plot point TBT just mentioned above.

Still, one hell of a debut season for Eleven! Finale Part One was such a punch to the gut, hence my astonishment when Part Two happened. And season six is already underway! (As horrible as it sounds, that already gives him an edge over Doctor Nine! :P)

Smith is superb & it is ironic about what he was wearing on his head because I was saying just last week how he reminded me of a certain British comedian "jus' like that". Also,is it me or does Matt Smith remind you of Michael Palin as well? I would love to see Palin in an episode. Doctor Who just gets better & better & like I've mentioned before ,I've never been a nutter for the programme.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

A small thread necro since Christmas is coming soon!

:D

Also, I just got the Season 5 DVD set a couple weeks ago and I'm just waiting to set aside some time to marathon the episodes again. Also I never did get to watch the Confidential episodes linked to these so it'll be fun seeing what I'd missed.

I like him. He's weird, which makes it more believable that he's 900 years old. You don't want to sleep with him like you did with David Tennant. Sometimes he doesn't feel like "The Doctor" to me though. I guess that's why they keep pushing the past 10 lives in out faces.

I'll probably get a better grasp of my full opinion of Series 5 after a proper reviewing, but I do like to mention a couple of personal observations I've had.

1. There is a definite shift in tone here from the RTD/Tennant era. You can't deny that. I know I'm not a longtime Who fan and that the old-timers like to argue about which Doctor was best and which showrunner did worse and so on until the cows come home, but given how old the franchise itself is (I remembered being genuinely surprised back in high school that this was on the air longer than Star Trek), I appreciate the fact that change is a central part of the show and that no season can ever hope to be fully "identical" to another.

Having said that, Eleven is my Doctor. I'm not afraid to admit that. I'm not just saying this to break away from the mold of the Ten diehards or anything, but somehow after the mild trauma/disorientation of having only had Eccleston for one season and having Tennant's intense survivor angst dominate the other 3, the Moffat /Smith season really felt like a breath of fresh air to me because for once it felt like I was actually enjoying myself while watching. Of course this is just my opinion, as a late-generation viewer I probably just reaped the full benefits of the show successfully growing its beard so to speak.

2. After pondering over some of the finale's more glaring plotholes for a while, I've since managed to come up with my own potentially-ridiculous theory as to why

Rory managed to retain his Auton memories after the Doctor's Big Bang 2.0 restored the universe

. I don't want to go too much into length here, but let's just say Steven Moffat making no secret of him aiming for a more "fairy tale" tone for this new series has vastly influenced my humble n00b opinion on this bit.

I have to admit, I love Tennant and Baker, and Tennant will probably always be my favorite, i watched Tomb of the Cybermen, and I immediately loved Troughton's Second Doctor. He's so... perfect.

This post is sounding a little too gay now. I'd like to apologize for that. I feel the need to grunt and scratch now.

I like him. He's weird, which makes it more believable that he's 900 years old. You don't want to sleep with him like you did with David Tennant. Sometimes he doesn't feel like "The Doctor" to me though. I guess that's why they keep pushing the past 10 lives in out faces.

Hmmm I like Doctor Who but never wanted to sleep with one of them. Now this companion on the other hand! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leela_%28Doctor_Who%29

Like most others I think my favourite docters were in the Pertwee/Baker eras, but that could just be my childhood memories giving them the edge.

I liked Tennant but feel the way RTD wrote him overstayed it's welcome & became too predicable, as Tennants doctor would do the start off goofy followed by sad/introspective and end up shouty/angry sequence every episode.

I really like the new stuff and like that Smith is being a very different doctor and Moffats writing if clever but not too clever for it's own good ( ok the pandorica stuff might be the exception there).

Smith is from what I can tell pretty excentric in real life which I think the writers feed off and I've been a huge fan of Moffats writing for a long time, not only is he very smart and funny but has an uncanny ability to write a story from different angles/times and perspectives while still keeping it simple and coherent.

Looking forwards to the xmas episode but not the inevitable post xmas wait for season 6.

T.

I think Smith's excellent. I love the nods to the previous incarnations too, and the insistence that this is the same man only with a different body and characteristics. There's a moment in the big bang, where the Doctor is talking to Amy and he looks so tired, and so beaten up, that I could totally believe I was looking at a man who'd lived 900 years.

He's a phenomenal actor. I doubt he'll hang around in the role for too long though. We'll be lucky to get another two years out of him.

I think Dr Who is coming up on its 50th anniversary I think in 2013 and the one thing I really think they have to do is a an episode(s) where they have all the Doctors teaming up.

Use the ones that are alive now on screen and some sort of CGI on screens ( Matt Smith can be talking to a bank of screens with the dead doctors on them arguing what to do)

I always remember when they got a group of the Doctors together when I was a kid it was a big TV moment alot like what the Xmas stuff is now.

I think Dr Who is primed for it and it would be a great thing to do.

(I do know Children In Need did a Dr Who bit with 2 Doctors)