UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Dr.Who

AdyCarter

Any one else see the news that Steven Moffat is going to be taking over the helm of Dr Who for Season '5' after Davis steps down?

This is great news to me and I'm happy with Moffat taking over he's written some of the best 'new' Dr who episodes and 'Blink' is probably my fave 'new' Dr Who episode. Moffat also wrote what is probably my all time favourite comedy show 'coupling' which manages to be funny sexy and smart (Neo definitely wouldn't approve!).

I suspect Dr Who will get a little darker and quirkier when '5' comes back in 2010.

T.

p.s. What do we think of the rumors that Eddie Izzard might oneday become the 11th Dr?

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If blink is the episode with the statues then yes prob my fav doctor who episode as well. As for Eddie Izzard as Doctor Who I'm for it. I liked/like Chris Eccelston and David Tennent and if I had a vote for a replacement I wouldn't mind Izzard. I think he could make a good doctor a little more flashy and colourful then the last two proberly like the character he played in The Avengers movie. (Sits back and awaits the confused what Avengers movie? Did he play Hawkeye?)

The only other thing that to me would push Doctor Who more would be to cast a black actor as the next one but off the top of my head I cant think who I would have.

I'm happy with the news about Moffat, but do wish the haters would lay off of Russel T Davies. The guy achieved the impossible and bought back Dr Who. Stop slating him for his 'agendas'. Personally I don't want to see the Doctor go much darker. The show has to appeal to a very broad demographic. Appeasing the grown up fans is not the way to go. I'm not sure I'd like to see Eddie Izzard as the Doctor either. Eddie's a great comedian, not so great an actor. Still, the future appears to be shiny so I'm happy. :)

What are people thoughts on the shape of this series so far? I'm extremely pleased with it. Thought last year was a bit 'meh' until we got to Blink and then it was fun all the way to the finale. (Albeit with some very dodgy religious overtones and bad CGI along the way).

I'm happy with the news about Moffat, but do wish the haters would lay off of Russel T Davies. The guy achieved the impossible and bought back Dr Who. Stop slating him for his 'agendas'. Personally I don't want to see the Doctor go much darker. The show has to appeal to a very broad demographic. Appeasing the grown up fans is not the way to go. I'm not sure I'd like to see Eddie Izzard as the Doctor either. Eddie's a great comedian, not so great an actor. Still, the future appears to be shiny so I'm happy. :)

What are people thoughts on the shape of this series so far? I'm extremely pleased with it. Thought last year was a bit 'meh' until we got to Blink and then it was fun all the way to the finale. (Albeit with some very dodgy religious overtones and bad CGI along the way).

I think everyone knows he did a great thing by bringing it back but I'm not going to apologise for my dislike for his 'agendas' IF he was even mildly subtle then sure I'd have no issue, It's not so much that he has an agenda or even what it is but that he's so bloody heavy handed about it.

As for going darker, I'm not expecting things to get macbeth bleak but to me Dr Who should have that behind the sofa edge to it... something I think the new stuff is for the most part missing... Blink was great behind the sofa episode if you ask me and I suspect that's closer to the vibe that Moffet will push. I also wouldn't be surprised to see him write something that's very close to farce as a one off quirky episode too.

T.

I am one of the main critics of Davies' 'agenda'. I must stress that I have always tempered my criticism by acknowledging ,as you do Rad, that he has done a superb job of re-booting Dr.Who. I shan't start up about it again but there can be no denying some of the sub-plots are flagrantly gratuitous ...........except the ones with Kylie in them. :D

I'm not putting Davies down I think he has done a fantastic job on the series and actually will be sorry to see him go. From everything I have seen about him on TV he is a big fan of Doctor Who and thats whats motivated him.

• 3 weeks later...

I really enjoyed the episode tonight & found it's 'repetitive' speech plot quite irritating & disturbing,irritating & disturbing...etc.etc. This was a very dark story-line indeed & yes there was the usual 'agenda moment'....Sky had just broken up with her ....girlfriend!

Edited by buttheadsmate

I'm not reading, I'm not reading, I'm not reading...

Y'know what really pisses me off about this series? I can't watch it online ANYWHERE. Nothing on SciFi, nothing available to me in the US on the BBC site, hell, HULU doesn't even have episodes. Best I can hope for is a marathon to catch up on eps I've missed. Either that or spend the $90 for season sets...

My wife, though tolerant of lots of things, would strangle me.

Y'know what really pisses me off about this series? I can't watch it online ANYWHERE. Nothing on SciFi, nothing available to me in the US on the BBC site, hell, HULU doesn't even have episodes. Best I can hope for is a marathon to catch up on eps I've missed. Either that or spend the $90 for season sets...

I see commercials on SciFi for Dr. Who. Do they only show old episodes or what?

I'm not sure if the BBCi player on the BBC site works on non UK ip's if it does you could always watch it there.

Only new eps right now. (Unless I'm missing another show time sometime during the week.) Its shown 2x on Friday nights here in the US. I almost always miss the 1st showing - I've been lucky and caught the 2nd show once this season. (It was the Dr's Daughter episode - very cute chick btw!) Beyond that, I'm out of luck until they go into repeats.

Another option is my local PBS station, but I think they're a full season behind SciFi. :(

I'm not sure if the BBCi player on the BBC site works on non UK ip's if it does you could always watch it there.

:) Thanks. I tried it and got the message that it's only for UK residents at this time. :angry: Grr...

Only new eps right now. (Unless I'm missing another show time sometime during the week.) Its shown 2x on Friday nights here in the US. I almost always miss the 1st showing - I've been lucky and caught the 2nd show once this season. (It was the Dr's Daughter episode - very cute chick btw!) Beyond that, I'm out of luck until they go into repeats.

Another option is my local PBS station, but I think they're a full season behind SciFi. :(

:) Thanks. I tried it and got the message that it's only for UK residents at this time. :angry: Grr...

It sucks that you can't see it but it's the same for us over here in the UK ,most US shows are aired here months after they've finished in the States. Regarding the 'Doctor's Daughter' ,the cute chick IS the Doctor's daughter,she is Peter Davison's daughter :yes: In last night's episode ,'Midnight', the guy who played the ol' Professor IS the Doctor's son.......Patrick Troughton's son ,David. :ohmy: I believe Sean Pertwee may also appear in it, though don't quote me.

Another great non Doctor Doctor Who episode. Good to see it revisiting major plot lines with a twist and a major swing back to the first season.

Next week looks like the penultimate episode or at least the build up to the end of this years season. Myself I'm looking forward to it as going by the sneak peak it has every major character making an apperance and I recognise that cackling laugh anywhere.

Tonights episode was fantastic. I loved how Torchwood, Sarah Jane and Martha's lives were all changed by the Doctor not being there. I cannot wait for next week. It looks so so awesome.

My only worry is that with every major character being in the next few episodes, and this finale being so huge, next seasons might not be as good and that will ruin it a little. I also worry that someone I like might die. (Not Martha! Don't take Martha!)

I have a bad feeling that Tate will overstay her welcome in Dr who, with a bit of luck she'll meet a sticky end and die horribly in a few episodes!

T.

Dan I think TBT may have had a premonition but do I detect a softening of your opinions towards Tate? IMO she has actually made this current series, I like her a lot.

Actually I admitted tonight, in confidence to a friend, that Tate has actually grown on me quite alot. Her acting in The Forest of the Dead was superb, and I can tolerate some of her comedy, as they put in the fantastic charades scene in the Agatha Christie episode. I actually don't want Donna to die now, which is a scary thought seeing how much I disliked her at the being of the series.

So yeah, my name's Dan, and I like Catherine Tate.

Actually I admitted tonight, in confidence to a friend, that Tate has actually grown on me quite alot. Her acting in The Forest of the Dead was superb, and I can tolerate some of her comedy, as they put in the fantastic charades scene in the Agatha Christie episode. I actually don't want Donna to die now, which is a scary thought seeing how much I disliked her at the being of the series.

So yeah, my name's Dan, and I like Catherine Tate.

Dan the man. Wonderful ! I applaud you. Over the years I have bloody cringed at some of the British sci-fi that has been churned out compared to the US yardstick. Dr.Who & Torchwood are to be proud of.

Wow.

That pretty much sums up tonights episode. It was so awesome. At the end I was literally on the edge of my seat. The ending has to be the cruellest thing I have ever seen. When Rose appeared and her and the Doctor were running to each other, you could so tell something was gonna happen, I expected Rose to die, but a new regeneration, right at the end of the penultimate episode. Did not see that coming!

So that pretty much renders the Doctor useless next episode, as in the Christmas Invasion he was in a comatose state after regenerating.

Next week can't come quick enough.

Also if you know who the next Doctor is, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE put it in spoiler tags.

Thanks

Edge of the seat stuff.....brilliant & next week's episode is 65 minutes long. I know nothing more than anybody else about a 'new' doctor ......but my guess is that Donna will somehow 'save' the current one by forfeiting her own life. I somehow see a final scene where Donna's grandfather looks at the night-sky & sees Donna as a new constellation of stars.

Edge of the seat stuff.....brilliant & next week's episode is 65 minutes long. I know nothing more than anybody else about a 'new' doctor ......but my guess is that Donna will somehow 'save' the current one by forfeiting her own life. I somehow see a final scene where Donna's grandfather looks at the night-sky & sees Donna as a new constellation of stars.

That does seem like something they would do, and wouldn't be surprised if it happened.

David Tennant is confirmed to star until 2010. However, during the second half of 2008, Tennant is committed to a Royal Shakespeare Company production of Hamlet. Following the conclusion of filming for the fourth series, the 2008 Christmas special is currently in production.[8] After the Christmas Special, four specials have been commissioned to air throughout 2009.[9] The programme will then return in 2010 with a fifth full series. For this fifth series, Russell T. Davies will be replaced as head writer and executive producer by Steven Moffat.[10] Similarly, in January 2009, Julie Gardner will be replaced as executive producer (and Head of Drama at BBC Wales) by Piers Wenger.[11] Tennant, who has played the main character of the show for the past three seasons, stated on The Andrew Marr Show in June 2008 that he hasn't yet been asked to reprise the role for the fifth series, but he will consider it if asked.[12]

From The edinburgh evening news.

THE BBC is rumoured to be ready to pay David Tennant a massive £1.3 million to carry on as Doctor Who.

The Bathgate-born actor is expected to be offered a new deal worth up to £100,000 per episode.

And he could also be offered other drama projects in a bid to keep him on board.

BBC bosses are desperate to stop the 37-year-old from quitting the show, which attracts up to eight million viewers.

One senior BBC source was quoted saying: "Everyone assumes David is quitting but that's not the case. We're hoping he will be back.

"The situation as it stands is that no deal has been discussed yet for the next series of Doctor Who. That, however, is about to change.

"David is brilliant in the role and naturally we hope he will continue. We're not considering anyone else at this time."

Tennant said: "I've been asked when I'm quitting since the first day I took the part. I've not quit – I've just not been offered another deal yet."

Also this is a rumour so I'll spoiler tag it.

In a shock development in the final episode, a Dalek casing opens to reveal Harriet Jones, played by Penelope Wilton, the mother of all the new Daleks.

But what has the Shadow Proclamation got to do with anything?

This would be the story for the 45th anniversary so Russell will probably pull out all the stops.

The final scenes, revealed in released pictures awhile ago, suggest that the Doctor is either involved in a freak explosion which splits him into two Doctors or it could be just the crossing of alternate realities.

This is believed to be a crash and burn story which wipes out almost anything that Russell T Davies has had a hand in creating in the past few years so that the new producer can start with a clean slate, so to speak.

It is believed that, right near the end, the Doctor leaves Donna with Wilf. It's also believed that Donna is exterminated.

Something tells me that the hand in the jar is going to play a part in all of this...

Something tells me that the hand in the jar is going to play a part in all of this...

Definitely. We've not really seen it since last years finale. To suddenly have it focused upon at the start of the episode leads me to believe it'll have a role in this years finale.

Once I knew that Martha was being shunted over to Torchwood (the best place for her) and Catherine Tate was taking over as the Doctor's assistant then I started watching again.

I have to say that this series has outdone itself and raised the bar higher, and there was me thinking that this "Who" revival was running out of steam. I like Tate's comedy and I think that she has been a brilliant assistant. I am pleased to see that she appears to have won over even the most anti-members here. I love the dynamic between her and Tennant and I am really happy to see that soppy unrequited love angle drop off the end. The only downside was when Martha came back, and I have to admit that the thought of Rose, Sarah Jane, Martha, and the Torchwood team all thrown into one over-egged messy episode was enough for me to miss it. I am looking forward to the season's finale though.

I am interested to see that so many people find the whole Barrowman's sexuality underpinning of Torchwood gratuitous and unecessary. I think so too, and goodness knows I've been extremely outspoken and supportive of seeing more gay characters in sci-fi, but Barrowman's brand of campness is an utter throwback to the 70's and smacks of a time when things were a lot less progressive than they are now. Davies may well have an agenda, and while we are all grateful to him for bringing back the Doctor in such fine style (excepting every episode with Martha in it), when an agenda begins to be the thing that drives a series, and that agenda is that we all are still somehow in need of educating about the diversity of human sexuality in such a dumb-assed and crass way, then he runs the risk of alienating a large part of his audience because we really don't need so-called alternative sexualities thrown in our faces every single week.

For quite a few years I've been saying that we need sci-fi to actually be representitive of real human society with more proper roles for women and some decent roles for gays and lesbians, but in the many, many online discissions I've had with gay sci-fi fans, the one thing we have all agreed on is that nobody wants to see gay stereotypes (especially a passe one such as Captain Jack) or for sexual orientation to be the most apparent aspect of a gay character. Really, Captain Jack's sexuality (as ambiguous as it is portrayed to be) should have no bearing on the plot at all and it makes Torchwood less of a sci-fi show in the same way as Martha's making cow eyes at the Doctor diminshed Doctor Who.

The problem is that Barrowman is now a media darling and his face is all over the place. It's a mystery to me ~ espcially when there are much smarter gay entertainers such as Graham Norton and Julian Clary ~ how Barrowman has gained such an ascendency ~ but then I never did understand the appeal of Les Dennis or Harry Hill's TV Burp either.

Edited by JulesLuvsShinzon