UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Dr.Who

AdyCarter

I met Barrowman the other day, on the set of a game show called 'the kids are all right'. He would just burst into song randomly...

Patriot

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad I found this thread.

I have to agree I'm not looking forward to Cathrine Tate one bit I hated her in the bride episode and cant stand her comedy at all.

Have to say prob my fav episode upto now is Blink the one with the statues. Proper hide behind the sofa stuf what Who should be like from time to time.

• 2 weeks later...
I met Barrowman the other day, on the set of a game show called 'the kids are all right'. He would just burst into song randomly...

Patriot

You are a very lucky person! No fair!

It started so well, but Doctor Who is really losing its way. When "celebrity" becomes more important than the content of the show, then really, it simply isn't Doctor Who any more. It's more like "celebrity come dancing"...with Daleks. Barrowman is so camp he actually sets my teeth on edge; he would be better off sticking to occasional appearances on Never Mind The Buzzcocks, where his over-the-top presence at least has some competition from the show's chairman ~ who has far greater talent and verbal dexterity than Barrowman can ever dream of. I thought Torchwood was dreadful ~ sci-fi for devotees of Big Brother. My mother-in-law liked it because it was full of pretty young people ~ enuff said.

I happen to be one of those people who would like to see Who become "adult" and taken out of the Saturday Night tea time slot, since the producers seem to think celebrities like Tate and Minogue are needed to pimp this show for the soap crowd and 'families'. While everyone appreciates the vast improvements in technology that is now at the BBC's disposal in that they can make some truly eerie creations, I think the effort is now being wasted on a show that is rapidly descending into a sad parody of itself. Forget shooting in Cardiff, just move the entire show to the end of a pier, or the ballroom at the base of Blackpool Tower.

Christopher Eccleston rocked as the Doctor, and Billy Piper provided warmth and humanity to the concept, complete with a proper sense of awe for a time-travelling alien. Tennant is great as the Doctor, but it seems that it is no longer the Doctor's show anymore.

Well I'm looking forward to seeing Kylie *mmmm..... Kylieeeeeeee* in the Christmas special and even Tate, in the new series. I think we're all in for a big surprise when Donna returns. Give her a chance. She's not going to be all shouty like she was in Runaway Bride, and she's not going to be asking Daleks if she's bovvered or accusing Ice Warriors of taking liberties. It's just telly and it's much better telly than celebrity jizz garglers on ice or whatever else is normally in the 7pm slot.

I'm also happy for Who to keep it's family vibe. It's how I fell in love with it, and hopefully it'll be how my kid falls in love with it too. As indeed kids have been in their droves since the new series started. Taking it into more adult territory would spoil it immensely. If you really don't like what you're seeing/expect to see then maybe it's time you moved on and let Dr Who become a happy memory rather than something you watch to hate. Sadly that seems to be what a lot of original Who fandom do these days.

If you really don't like what you're seeing/expect to see then maybe it's time you moved on and let Dr Who become a happy memory rather than something you watch to hate.

Trust me, I already have! As soon as I realised that I found the new assistant insipid and the Kylie/Tate Christmas Special was announced, I ditched the rest of the third season. I simply wasn't enjoying it anymore. Instead of raising the level of the audience, it's simply become dumbed-down, and no longer soley about the Doctor. ;)

The whole point about Doctor Who back in the day was that apart from being on at tea time, it wasn't teally "family viewing". It was the preserve of geeky uncles and kids who were looking forward to diving behind the settee and getting a scare in a non-threatening environment. Most of the adults in my family thought Who was a slightly silly kids' programme, and took the time out (after an afternoon spent lounging in front of Grandstand) to do adult things like getting the tea or argue about politics while we kids were saying "Sssh! Dad!". The TV was left to the kids for a precious short while so that we could shriek and run quivering behind the sofa! Of course, I had nerves of steel, and for me, it was an early assertion of Girl Power to steel my nerves and be superior to my older male cousins who dived behind the sofa almost as soon as the BBC Radiophonic Workshop struck up, and who would watch the entire show peeking round the sofa. If my Nan, my Mum, my Dad, and My Grandad had sat down and started enjoying it, then it wouldn't have been TV for us kids that "got it".

I think it says a lot about today's families and young people that they have to have celebrity endorsement in order to be attracted to something. Whereas before, you were either captivated by the Doctor, his TARDIS, UNIT, and The Brigadeer, or you weren't and if you weren't endlessly fascinated by the Daleks and yelling "CLIMB THE STAIRS!!" at the Doctor and his assistant, then you went off and played Subuteo or whatever, and the sci-fi integrity of the show was kept. Sadly, the BBC has never heard of over-gilding the lily by forever trying to widen its appeal, and now the soap and bingo crowd can bill and coo over Tennant, "that Catherine Tate", plastic Barrowman (a sure-fire Ganny's heartthrob), while there's Kylie for the dads, and it's a shame, because the new Who didn't need the tinsel and was already damn fine without it! Celebriteee has ruined it, and it seems that I'm not the only former Who affictionado who thinks the same way.

and now the soap and bingo crowd can bill and coo over Tennant, "that Catherine Tate", plastic Barrowman (a sure-fire Ganny's heartthrob), while there's Kylie for the dads, and it's a shame, because the new Who didn't need the tinsel and was already damn fine without it!

Peter Davidson? John Pertwee? both were cast as they were "popular attractive males whom would bring in certain audience segments. Peri and Leela for a start were both companions brought in "for the dads" its always been that way.

^^^Are you absolutely certain it's "always been that way"????

Peter Davidson was bought in for that appeal to be sure, but he's not exactly the most memorable Doctor is he? He's second only to Paul McGann in that respect, and his Doctor only lasted one ill-fated revival attempt ~ at least on TV, although McGann's Doctor lives on in audio book form.

Jon Pertwee?????????? A hottie for the gals?????? Nah! Sure, he was a dandified Doctor in a cute vintage motor, but I don't think he was bought in as eye-candy exactly!! William Hartnell?? Patrick Troughton??? Colin Baker??? Gawd!! You'll be telling me that Tom Baker was a sex symbol next!!

Leela (Louise Jameson happened to be the niece of an English teacher in my school) was a rather cynical stab at an early 7of9 "invigoration" attempt, and somehow isn't quite as iconic, or regarded with anything like as much affection as dear old Sarah Jane ~ who, incidentally, still looks today like she did in the 70s ~ so maybe time travel is possible after all! And that's kind of my point: short term pimping that in the end isn't nearly as effective as great characters ~ which the current assistant certainly isn't. K9 was a better actor!

Peter Davidson was bought in for that appeal to be sure, but he's not exactly the most memorable Doctor is he? He's second only to Paul McGann in that respect, and his Doctor only lasted one ill-fated revival attempt ~ at least on TV, although McGann's Doctor lives on in audio book form.

Hes pretty memorable, everyones definitions of that vary but hes far from the least popular. Colin Baker anyone?

Jon Pertwee?????????? A hottie for the gals?????? Nah! Sure, he was a dandified Doctor in a cute vintage motor, but I don't think he was bought in as eye-candy exactly!! William Hartnell?? Patrick Troughton??? Colin Baker??? Gawd!! You'll be telling me that Tom Baker was a sex symbol next!!

Oh Tom Baker gets everyone hot, admittedly there has been less 'hot docness' than hot companions but still...

Leela (Louise Jameson happened to be the niece of an English teacher in my school) was a rather cynical stab at an early 7of9 "invigoration" attempt, and somehow isn't quite as iconic, or regarded with anything like as much affection as dear old Sarah Jane ~ who, incidentally, still looks today like she did in the 70s ~ so maybe time travel is possible after all! And that's kind of my point: short term pimping that in the end isn't nearly as effective as great characters ~ which the current assistant certainly isn't. K9 was a better actor!

Almost every female companion post hinchcliffe era (early-mid Tom Baker) was brought in 'for the dads', heck there were even complaints in the Davidson era that the hemlines got too long, so overnight Tegan and Nyssa became mini skirt wearers again!

The thing is what is Nu Who dumbed down against? In the shows history its gone from historical epics with tragic plots and a cold hearted murdering doctor, to camp shite with Bertie Basset. You cant tell me that the current stuff is worse than Bertie Basset mincing around shouting about creaming on people? (Although the plot of the season finale wasnt far off that level of shite)

^^^I think you go a long way to explaining on my behalf exactly why I stopped watching Who after Tom Baker hung up his long scarf! :P ...Only to begin again for the first two seasons of this and the last incarnation! :P

I've got to disagree (but then you knew that I would!) that the new Who shows "history"...a slapstick version of the Elizabethan and Victorian eras to be sure, but I'd hate to meet the kid that actually thought those shows were in any way instructional! :o

It is a terrible shame that they missed the goal with the season finale. I think they'll look back on that final ep and see all the horrible flaws in it. Kids won't give a monkeys though.

It is a terrible shame that they missed the goal with the season finale. I think they'll look back on that final ep and see all the horrible flaws in it. Kids won't give a monkeys though.

I kinda think they screwed the pooch on that last episode too, the build up to it was fine but the whole ending came across as a mess, mostly due to the master being just plain silly & a 'cop out' way to get the Doctor out of his predicament.

Otherwise I love the new show, it's fun way to waste some time and anyone who tries to make it anything more than just saturday afternoon telly is definitely over thinking it.

T.

p.s. as for Jules.. 'me-thinks the lady doth protest too much' and she still watches every episode ;)

• 7 months later...

So Season Four starts tomorrow. I have really mixed feelings about this series. I love Doctor Who and think it is one of the best shows on tv, but I absolutely detest Catherine Tate and her stupid pointless character, Donna. Her Christmas special was plain awful, she played an awful character, and tried to steal the show, failing miserably. She and Tennant were on Jonathon Ross tonight and she barely let Tennat talk about HIS show. I'll watch this series most likely, as I love the show, and Martha will be in it at some point, and she was a fantastic assistant. I can't help but feel that Tate will ruin the show.

Any thoughts?

So Season Four starts tomorrow. I have really mixed feelings about this series. I love Doctor Who and think it is one of the best shows on tv, but I absolutely detest Catherine Tate and her stupid pointless character, Donna. Her Christmas special was plain awful, she played an awful character, and tried to steal the show, failing miserably. She and Tennant were on Jonathon Ross tonight and she barely let Tennat talk about HIS show. I'll watch this series most likely, as I love the show, and Martha will be in it at some point, and she was a fantastic assistant. I can't help but feel that Tate will ruin the show.

Any thoughts?

Agree 110% - she is one of the most annoying people on the planet!

The sooner they realize that they don't need someone who just shouts a lot the better!

Ohhh new season starting tomorrow :) I didn't realise... I will set my 'video recorder' for that ;)

T.

Any thoughts?

The cliche would be 'Am I bovvered',but I am. I respect your concerns but hey, forget she's C.Tate & believe she's the Doctor's new assistant. Try! I totally agree with your observations on the shite Xmas spec. but every actor (actress) is judged by the material given ! As for Martha :wub::wub:

I respect your concerns but hey, forget she's C.Tate & believe she's the Doctor's new assistant.

I think that's the problem, her acting skills ( or lack thereof) leave her incapable of being anything but Catherine Tate.

She doesn't even have the 'cute factor' that Kylie, Rose or Martha had to fall back on!

I guess I'm prepping for the worst...

T.

I respect your concerns but hey, forget she's C.Tate & believe she's the Doctor's new assistant.

I think that's the problem, her acting skills ( or lack thereof) leave her incapable of being anything but Catherine Tate.

She doesn't even have the 'cute factor' that Kylie, Rose or Martha had to fall back on!

I guess I'm prepping for the worst...

T.

I would have no problem 'falling back' on Rose,Martha or Kylie,or Kylie,or Kylie,or Kylie,or Kylie,or Kylie,or Kylie. I do actually find Tate funny but she is a bit of a munter, I do however feel that this is the 'golden time' for Doctor Who ,whether we realise it or not. I love Kylie & would happily donate :blush:

I liked Kylie's character for the one special, but wouldn't want a repeat performance. The last Christmas special was one of the worst scripted pieces of rubbish I've ever watched. It was painful to watch at points.

As I've said before, I want an alien companion, and a lot less time spent on Earth. I'll give Tate a chance, and try to forget that shes who she is, but don't have too high hopes.

On a related note, did anyone watch tonights Torchwood? It was amazingly fantastic. Torchwood is one of the best sci-fi shows around in my opinion, and tonights finale was great.

I can't believe they killed off both Owen and Tosh. I saw Owen's death/body being destroyed etc on the cards from when he got shot, but not Tosh. Didn't see that one coming at all!

But the acting was superb. It was such a moving episode and acted brilliantly by all involved, particularly Naoko Mori (Tosh). Anyone know if it's coming back for a third series, and if so who the team is going to be? Any chance that Martha will get a permanent slot on the team?

Hey Dan,

You just won major kudos points with me for spoilering what ever the comment about Torchwood is...

I will be having a DR?who, Torchwood and BSG Marathon over the weekend and I am gald whatever you posted was put in spoiler tags !!

Oh & BMH that obsession you have about Kyle.... you should be so lucky... :)

(BTW you missed the obvious Kyle and Martha or Kyle and Rose or... well you get the idea ;) )

T.

I liked Kylie's character for the one special, but wouldn't want a repeat performance. The last Christmas special was one of the worst scripted pieces of rubbish I've ever watched. It was painful to watch at points.

As I've said before, I want an alien companion, and a lot less time spent on Earth. I'll give Tate a chance, and try to forget that shes who she is, but don't have too high hopes.

On a related note, did anyone watch tonights Torchwood? It was amazingly fantastic. Torchwood is one of the best sci-fi shows around in my opinion, and tonights finale was great.

I can't believe they killed off both Owen and Tosh. I saw Owen's death/body being destroyed etc on the cards from when he got shot, but not Tosh. Didn't see that one coming at all!

But the acting was superb. It was such a moving episode and acted brilliantly by all involved, particularly Naoko Mori (Tosh). Anyone know if it's coming back for a third series, and if so who the team is going to be? Any chance that Martha will get a permanent slot on the team?

It's been greenlit for a 3rd series and i believe....

That after the events of Torchwoods season 2 finale and Dr Who Season 4 finale, that Jack goes wandering/To find himself/quest to find his missing memories and Martha & Mickey Smith (Who currently resides in the parallel Earth working for parallel Torchwood with Rose Tyler, and also features in Who's finale) will fill the Owen & Tosh shaped holes in the team, with Jack as a semi recurring character, Also the content (Sex/Violence) will be toned down in order to make the show an alternate family friendly Saturday night BBC 1 show for when Who is off the air...

At least that's what I have read at the following websites

Planet Gallifrey

Sylvestermccoy.com

i09.com

Torchwood has become one of the most entertaining Sci-Fi shows on TV although I haven't caught the season's finale yet. Russell T. Davies has breathed new life into the whole Dr.Who franchise after years (decades) of inactivity & lethargic false-starts. I have one problem however which does not stem from homophobia which I do not suffer from . The problem I have is the amount of scenes & references thought necessary to highlight Jack's sexuality. I find this all but incomprehensible ,..... Jack's gay or bi or whatever.....am I bovvered ! We all know that Torchwood has been infiltrated & not just by aliens. If sexuality of the characters is supposedly so important to us (the viewers) why has every alien the Doctor & Torchwood ever encountered been obviously lacking in genitalia? I am not the founder member of 'Dangly Bits for Daleks Club' or 'The CyberGirls' nor do I want any particular relationship between caring people minimalised but this is so hypocritical. Dr.Who mates.............but with whom? :blink:

Edited by buttheadsmate

Taking Jack out of Torchwood is like taking sugar out of chocolate. It's still chocolate, but it's just not right.

Also Chaapaaiguy your links don't work for some reason.

BHM, how do you mean none of them have genitalia? Most aliens, such as the Weevils, wear clothes, so you can't tell anyway, unless you were thinking of a particular alien?

Taking Jack out of Torchwood is like taking sugar out of chocolate. It's still chocolate, but it's just not right.

Also Chaapaaiguy your links don't work for some reason.

BHM, how do you mean none of them have genitalia? Most aliens, such as the Weevils, wear clothes, so you can't tell anyway, unless you were thinking of a particular alien?

Precisely Dan. Weevils in boiler suits ......why ? Did they arrive in Cardiff wearing a boiler suit ? A weevil is an alien with the intelligence of an animal,treated like an animal yet kept fully-clothed to protect it's modesty.

post-638-1207404040_thumb.jpg

post-638-1207404058_thumb.jpg

post-638-1207404082_thumb.jpg

post-638-1207404101_thumb.jpg

post-638-1207404129_thumb.jpg

post-638-1207404157_thumb.jpg

Edited by buttheadsmate

I'm not complaining about naked aliens. It may not be right, but I prefer them clothed or not having any. You never know, they may have them, but in different places, or inside them, or in any other form. Who knows?

So what's the verdict? I enjoyed the episode as a whole. Donna was as disappointing as expected, not just the stupid attitude of the character, but the way Tate acted and that annoying voice she has.

Rose at the end? What's going on there then? Parallel Torchwood found some way to temporarily switch Earths? And what's the significance of the sonic pen and car keys being put in bins?

Next week looks interesting. I love the 'It's volcano day' line, as it was used back in Ecclestons time.