UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Dr.Who

AdyCarter

I first remember him as a 'firestarter' character in an early episode of the X-Files,since then....Warehouse 13,CSI(various),Medium,24,ST Voyager & many more.

Good grief, really? Was that him? What/who was he in Voyager?

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any thoughts on the new series, gang? Apart from 'it's confusing as hell right now?' Don't get me wrong, I'm still loving it, but my kid is getting bored watching it the first time around. He's watched both episodes again and got more out of it, but Who needs to be more immediate and appealing to the younger audience.

Totally agree, I suspect the complex episodes will bookend the season and the more typical Dr Who stuff will make up th erest of the season.

I do worry though that Moffat is being a little too clever for his own good and that the season openers were likely to go over the heads of a lot of the unwashed masses.

T.

p.s.

Anyone else thinking that the space suit was made by the Doctor to protect the little girl and that the little girl is in fact River Song?

Actually, I think that the little girl is Amy and Rory's daughter, given that the pregnancy was phasing in and out of existence when the Doctor scanned her. Or, it could be the return of RANI!!!

p.s.

Anyone else thinking that the space suit was made by the Doctor to protect the little girl and that the little girl is in fact River Song?

Actually, I think that the little girl is Amy and Rory's daughter, given that the pregnancy was phasing in and out of existence when the Doctor scanned her. Or, it could be the return of RANI!!!

This was my thinking too, BUT

who's to say River isn't Amy and Rory's daughter... She is always hinting that she's in prison for killing him.

Good grief, really? Was that him? What/who was he in Voyager?

I confess that I have never seen the episode but ....he played the character Leucon in the episode Child's Play, #138. He often plays his parts with a dodgy Irish accent.....&/or character...& that is why I distinctly remember his part in the X-Files episode 'Fire' as Cecil L'Ively.

You realise that the actor playing the older version of him in this first episode of Who is his real father,William Morgan Sheppard?

Nor did I until I researched it today :whistling:

-bluffheadsmate

You realise that the actor playing the older version of him in this first episode of Who is his real father,William Morgan Sheppard?

I did, but only because I watched last weeks Dr Who Confidential ;)

p.s.

who's to say River isn't Amy and Rory's daughter... She is always hinting that she's in prison for killing him.

Unless the BBC have gone to massive efforts faking the recording of scenes (which were evesdropped on and even camera phoned) then: (BEWARE SERIOUSLY DONT CLICK THE BELOW UNLESS YOU LIKEY THE SPOILERS!)

"Spoilers Sweetie!"

River is definately Amys daughter, theres a flashback to the Crash of the Byzantium with Modern Amy and Byzantium Era River who clearly addresses her as Mother. However the latter half of the season seems to deal with a 'Gallifreyan regeneration cube' and an aborted timeline so its entirely possible that while she is Amys daughter its not in this timeline... - That comment about the fall of Rome in last weeks episode is more relevant than you'd think....

Of course that could all be total balls.

We just finished Series 3, and I thought the last two episodes with The Master were a little disappointing. Onward to Series 4!

Sorry to hear that Luke, I loved those episodes. Thought John Simm made for an excellent Master. I'd like to hear your thoughts on series 4.

There was a massive outcry among UK Who fandom when the actor who played the new companion was announced.

I agree that John Simm did an amazing job. I just didn't care for the story, especially the second half.

How is Torchwood compared to Doctor Who? Is it less appropriate for children to watch? I probably shouldn't let my 4 year old watch Doctor Who with me, but he loves it so much, I couldn't possibly say no. :)

I agree that John Simm did an amazing job. I just didn't care for the story, especially the second half.

How is Torchwood compared to Doctor Who? Is it less appropriate for children to watch? I probably shouldn't let my 4 year old watch Doctor Who with me, but he loves it so much, I couldn't possibly say no. :)

Torchwood is much darker in tone and violence, and contains a lot more sexy bits than Dr. Who. I enjoyed watching it, but I wouldn't recommend it for a 4-year old.

Torchwood is much darker in tone and violence, and contains a lot more sexy bits than Dr. Who. I enjoyed watching it, but I wouldn't recommend it for a 4-year old.

Torchwood's definitely not for kids. The first series tries to hard to be edgy and adult and while okay, makes for a slightly immature, self-concious show. The second series finds a much better balance, the third is darker than the darkest thing that sits at the back of the darkest shelf in a really really dark cupboard. It's also excellent.

I have to agree with Boyd and Rad on Torchwood not being for lil ones. Though you should def give it a watch Luke. Captain Jack becomes a much more complicate and layered character then the small bits we saw of him in Doctor Who. I finally watched the third season of Torchwood this past weekend and the ending was very dark I thought. A lot more then I thought it would be.

I would highly recommend The Sarah Jane Adventures for your 4 year old though. It was made with a younger target audience in mind. Even when compared with Doctor Who. I don't love it myself, but I will still watch it. I have the second and third season sitting on the shelf waiting to be watched.

Anyway, back to Doctor Who. I am not looking forward to episode four of the new season. I don't know why, but I have never liked anything I have ever read by Neil Gaiman. I wish I did, people have such great praises on the way he writes.

p.s.

Unless the BBC have gone to massive efforts faking the recording of scenes (which were evesdropped on and even camera phoned) then: (BEWARE SERIOUSLY DONT CLICK THE BELOW UNLESS YOU LIKEY THE SPOILERS!)

"Spoilers Sweetie!"

River is definately Amys daughter, theres a flashback to the Crash of the Byzantium with Modern Amy and Byzantium Era River who clearly addresses her as Mother. However the latter half of the season seems to deal with a 'Gallifreyan regeneration cube' and an aborted timeline so its entirely possible that while she is Amys daughter its not in this timeline... - That comment about the fall of Rome in last weeks episode is more relevant than you'd think....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-13353367

p.s.

"Spoilers Sweetie!"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-13353367

I've really enjoyed most of Moffat's stories, but that comment is absolutely ridiculous. One would think that he would be aware of the internet and the way TV shows get spoiled everywhere. Hating those that are interested enough in your product to want to seek out more information seems a bit short sighted on his part. Maybe he should just enjoy having a worldwide audience that enjoys the show, instead of attacking Doctor Who's fans.

Edited by jjwspider

• 2 weeks later...

we've already seen her at a similar age last series, I can't see that being accurate at all. That said, could it not just be a figure of her from last series?

That was my thoughts exactly. I would have to go back an check my DVD's to see if they are the clothes she wore to be certain.

• 2 weeks later...

The Big Question gets answered tomorrow-Who is River Song?I have my ideas for sure!The suspense is killing me (LOL):biggrin:

Oh Yeah I agree 100 percent :biggrin:

Professor River Song ....Amy Pond ....I'm noticing a link!

:thumbsup:

Doctor Who,the show, continues to impress me whilst Smith is terrific. In past discussions about the show & its spin-off Torchwood I've alluded to an 'agenda' which began almost subliminally but became downright blatant in the latter episodes of Torchwood. I always assumed that that was because of Russell T.Davies' orientation & this was a personal campaign to promote it & casting John Barrowman as Captain Jack was as conspired as it was inspired.

So ........last night's episode.......I have few if any bigotted ideas about anything but the proportion of gay characters in these episodes is now bloody farcical. I'm not outraged or angry or even too worried by it but playing the 'homosexuality- shock-horror card' has become totally boring.

The Lizard woman with her female valet* & the 'thin fat gay anglican marines' are the latest yawn-inspiring characters that have been dumped on the TV at 6.45 p.m. for all the kids to empathise with :rolleyes: Whether young kids can understand the sexual-innuendo that now goes on in the show is not for me to judge & judging isn't what I'm doing here. What I'm asking is why? If you've read this & have concluded I'm anti-anybody you've missed the point.

*I'm not going to elaborate on here about that one but I would happily do so if I could suss how to use spoilers now ....hint hint.

I have to say in this run of Dr Who I haven't really noticed any "agenda" like the ones before it until this episode just aired. The part with the Lizard and valet "I dont know why you like me" visual gag, sly look etc actually made me mentally cringe. All that aside this was one of the better episodes just for all the returning characters.

Interestingly I didn't pick up on any agenda, I saw two isolated jokes one making a swipe at the church\military and the other was a typical throwaway Moffat tongue in cheek gag. The Silurian relationship had more of a green hornet and kato feel to it than anything else to me.

I do however agree that the RTD era definitely felt that RTD was pushing his views beyond what I'd consider reasonable.

T.

p.s. spoiler tags can be either created from the "other styles" drop down menu or by typing [_spoiler] before and [_/spoiler] after your text (remove underscores).