UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Dr.Who

AdyCarter

Wow.

I disagree with pretty much everything you just said. I don't see how you can like Donna so much from the outset, but dislike Martha. I loved Martha during her series and loved the episodes with her in this series. As is known I originally disliked Tate, to the point where I almost decided not to watch this series. I'm glad that I stuck with it, as, as has been said, she has won me over.

And you didn't like last week's episode? Messy?

On the John Barrowman point, whats not to like? He is a fantasic entertainer, actor, host etc. I saw him in a pantomime in December, and will be seeing him in another this December, and he was fanastic. My brother has met him and said that he is a really nice guy. In my opinion its easy to see how likeable he is, and its obvious how he has grown to his fame this quickly.

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*slaps Jules about a bit with a herring*

Hi Jules :D

Doctor Who for me has its ups and downs, some really strong episodes and some catacalysmic failures, its been interesting to say the least but the this finale is darker then Who has been before, its rivetting and I cant wait to see how it ends. The new trailer on the BBC shows some very interesting things... and it casts the possibility to perhaps new changes, unless the Paradox machine was anything to go by. I am keeping quiet on this one if you havent seen the trailer then cant and wont spoilt it... nor do I want to use the spoiler tags.

oh and btw, hi all :D

Hey Jules & T_kat,

Long time no see, must be quiet over in trekland at the moment?

Have to say I agree this series has been very up and down ( ohhh matron!).

Martha has never annoyed me too much, of course that could be that as bloke I'm more forgiving than Jules cos she's reasonable eyecandy ;) - ( Waits for Jules to explode at that comment and all the non PC things it infers!)

Tate just annoys me, albeit she's settled a little bit and is less shouty now ( She still reminds me of the Vogon guard from Hitchhikers). I predicted way back in the first couple of episodes she'd be a one series character that will be killed off.

As for Barrowman, initially I thought an odd choice for the supposedly grittier Torchwood, he is oddly camp and smirky. To be honest I can see why he plays Cpt Jack the way he does as anyone taking it too seriously would just come across as total twat.

The sexuality thing is an odd one for me, I'm pretty easy going and liberal in my views on how 'sexuality' is portrayed in the media but R.T.Davies totally lacks any finesse in pushing his agenda and it's now a joke/game to spot the 'gay' reference shoe horned into in every episode.

As for the Finale, can't wait!!! I'm curious how they will "get out of jail" on the regeneration.

To be honest if Tennant is at the end of his run then I wont be too upset. He's been a great doctor But I'm starting to bore of the " Smug know it all, do something wacky, panic a bit then get really really angry before saving the day" routine. perhaps it's time to bring someone new in?

Anyone else happy Moffat is going to be in charge? IMO He's probably one of the best writers out there at the moment and isn't afraid to make things intelligent & funny but still 'behind the sofa dark' which is what IMO Dr Who is about!

T.

What 'Jules' posted was a canny synopsis of the recent Dr.Who/Torchwood series. I personally like the Donna character & the current Dr. is perhaps the best. It is easy to rate the 'current' anything as the best but perhaps I have, for once, a 'special' vantage point. I watched the very first episode of Dr.Who when it aired in 1963 & have seen some wonderful episodes & some total crap during the next 45 years. Regarding the re-vamped Dr.Who ,I dislike the 'agenda' ,I cringe at some of the acting of a few of the supporting cast(usually those wearing UNIT uniforms) , I shudder at how far Rose's front teeth continue to 'grow' & that's it .....apart from those minor criticisms Dr.Who is the only show that could even compete with US Sci-Fi. This IS the golden-age of Dr.Who without a shadow of a doubt . Oh yeah we had Kylie as well ,I like Kylie a lot ,an awful lot,very much,totally ..... :D

*slaps Jules about a bit with a herring*

Hi Jules :D

Kaaaaaaaaaaaat!!! How are you? I haven't "seen" you in ages! How's Shinzon doing? How are you enjoying the new series of Top Gear??? :P

Long time no see, must be quiet over in trekland at the moment?

Timbo! Hi to you too! Yes, it's very quiet in Trekland since the movie got put back until next May!

Have to say I agree this series has been very up and down ( ohhh matron!).

Martha has never annoyed me too much, of course that could be that as bloke I'm more forgiving than Jules cos she's reasonable eyecandy ;) - ( Waits for Jules to explode at that comment and all the non PC things it infers!)

Tate just annoys me, albeit she's settled a little bit and is less shouty now ( She still reminds me of the Vogon guard from Hitchhikers). I predicted way back in the first couple of episodes she'd be a one series character that will be killed off.

Well at least she didn't spout Vogon poetry!!

Not having a male perspective, it does depress me when people will forgive a dull female character because she's eyecandy, from a feminist perspective, that really happens way too much in sci-fi these days. I saw somewhere back in the thread someone accuse Catherine Tate of being a "munter", but at least munters concentrate on the plot in hand and it was refreshing to see absolutely no focus on sexual chemistry whatsoever, even if the recurring "On no, we're not married" line got a bit competitive since the audience aren't all that dumb and probably twigged to the new dynamic as soon as Donna Noble was announced as the new assistant.

The problem with Martha wasn't actually that she was "eye candy" as far as I'm concerned, Piper and Minogue also fall into that category and I am sure there are quite a few babyboomer men out there who twinkled with nostalgia over Sarah Jane. No, the problem with Martha was that she was a career-minded PC character meant to attract more twenty-something women to the series by trying to be representitive of them. Martha was Doctor Who's PC version of Bridget Jones, and simply failed to reach her target audience in terms of being convincingly anything other than a cipher. I was once a Marie Claire reader myself and I wasn't convinced by her as an aspiring doctor or as the Doctor's assistant, and then having spent the whole of last series lusting unsuccessfully after the manifestly unobtainable Doctor she becomes conveniently "engaged" to somebody else. I think the producers knew that she wasn't hitting the spot and that was why she was shunted over to Torchwood ~ the home of cliche and kitsch.

Personally, I think that Sophie Okonedo would make a kick-ass Doctor's assistant.

The sexuality thing is an odd one for me, I'm pretty easy going and liberal in my views on how 'sexuality' is portrayed in the media but R.T.Davies totally lacks any finesse in pushing his agenda and it's now a joke/game to spot the 'gay' reference shoe horned into in every episode.

Same here! I don't want to come off as sounding po-faced here, but I kind of think when you're down to playing "spot the double-entendre" (there's an idea for a drinking game, but one would certainly being double by the end of the episode!), then it's detracting away from the sci-fi.

To be honest if Tennant is at the end of his run then I wont be too upset. He's been a great doctor But I'm starting to bore of the " Smug know it all, do something wacky, panic a bit then get really really angry before saving the day" routine. perhaps it's time to bring someone new in?

Yes, he needs to quit while he's ahead.

Anyone else happy Moffat is going to be in charge? IMO He's probably one of the best writers out there at the moment and isn't afraid to make things intelligent & funny but still 'behind the sofa dark' which is what IMO Dr Who is about!

T.

Agreed, it's time some of the slapstick "monster" element (like the Adipose) took a backseat and Who became genuinely eerie again. There were some fine spine-chilling moments in this series ~ it's what I watch Doctor Who for!

What 'Jules' posted was a canny synopsis of the recent Dr.Who/Torchwood series.

Thanks for the compliment! :)

I personally like the Donna character & the current Dr. is perhaps the best. It is easy to rate the 'current' anything as the best but perhaps I have, for once, a 'special' vantage point. I watched the very first episode of Dr.Who when it aired in 1963 & have seen some wonderful episodes & some total crap during the next 45 years.

I was born in 1962 and from what you say then I'm probably a little younger than you, but I think we're coming at this from the same perspective. I can just about remember William Hartnell, but I was a Troughton/Pertwee gal myself. I agree with you that watching Who has been pretty much serial agony and ecstacy over the years and the many incarnations!

Regarding the re-vamped Dr.Who ,I dislike the 'agenda' ,I cringe at some of the acting of a few of the supporting cast(usually those wearing UNIT uniforms) , I shudder at how far Rose's front teeth continue to 'grow' & that's it .....apart from those minor criticisms Dr.Who is the only show that could even compete with US Sci-Fi. This IS the golden-age of Dr.Who without a shadow of a doubt . Oh yeah we had Kylie as well ,I like Kylie a lot ,an awful lot,very much,totally ..... :D

Actually, we tuned into the Christmas special and she wasn't anywhere near as bad as I thought she would be.

And, crikey, I thought it was just me who noticed Rose's teeth ~ what is that all about, LOL!

As I said before, I like my Who dark and genuinely creepy, and there have been some truly majestic moments in this past series. I love it that the US guys are getting enthusiastic over British sci-fi! :)

Edited by JulesLuvsShinzon

It was 'yours truly' that called Tate a 'munter' & perhaps I should take credit(?) for the 'awareness alert' to the 'agenda'. Tate was superb in this series ,I have championed her throughout & the refreshing 'relationship' she had with the Doctor was far more intense than the Rose/Martha cliche shite. The series finale was ,alas, never going to equal the hype but was superb. I was not quite on the 'edge of my seat' but it had everything...all the emotions,wonderful.

Tennant..... quit while your ahead? How very neuvo-British....how very Tony Blair! Tennant is not perfect but will go far ....why not be remembered as the best Dr.Who...ever? He could do a lot worse & he's far too clever an actor to be typecast.

Sarah Jane I'm afraid is far too old for me ;) but I would like to mention Kylie :wub: .....

Edited by buttheadsmate

^^^LOL! :P

Blair's problem was that he didn't quit when he was ahead! :lol:

I have the season finale recorded ~ I haven't watched it yet!

I'm not really in a tearing hurry to see Tennant go, I'm not that adversed to see him in the role another season. I don't think he's a contender for the best Doctor ever though....I would have liked to have seen a second season with Eccleston who was only really getting warmed up when he quit.

Maybe that's the trick ~ always leave the public wanting more!

Edited by JulesLuvsShinzon

I'm sorry guys but I have to be the first to publish the first picture of the new Doctor .....post-638-1215368067_thumb.jpg

Fnurk the Eye stalk is pointing up :blink:

back to the main topic I warmed to Tate as the series progressed as they got away from the shouty gobby side of her character but I'm still glad to see her go.

As was said earlier it looks like this is a big reset for Doctor Who allowing the new producer etc to start afresh Russell T has done an excellent job of bringing back the Who franchise and I'm very sorry to see him go all his "agenda" aside he was brilliant for the series. Moffet has written prob my fav episodes so far through all the new series but I cant say if he is upto the job of driving the whole ship and only time will tell on that I think.

It looks like all the characters have been relocated for their new roles I can seen Martha and Mickey in Torchwood taking the parts of the deceased characters from the last season.

Rose gets her love with Doctor Two© and I weird feeling they could be seen again in the Who novels that are been published I can see them doing a mulder and scully style thing in their alt dimenson. They may not be able to travel in the Tardis but I'm sure they can come up with some way to get around earth alot like the Jon Pertwee Doctor.

• 2 weeks later...

I swallowed my loathing for Captain Jack and Martha sufficiently to watch the series finale. I thought it was a great swansong for Donna but the one thing I couldn't get out of my head is......did they nick a pile of weapon visuals from Star Trek Nemesis, or what? :blink:

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm neither a racist , chauvenist ,homophobe or anything else ....in fact I liked the last Doctor despite the fact he was Scottish :P I do hope however that whoever gets the part gets it on the strength of his or her ability & not some new perception of political correctness.....British TV is completely drenched in it at the moment.

Edited by buttheadsmate

The new doctor is actually someone called matt smith and is 26 years old! as soon as I can find some pics I will link to them. He is the youngest to play the part and he does have a bit of strange look so I can understand going for him in that way but I know not alot about his acting ability

matt_smith.jpg

danny.jpg

Ok found some pictures and added them of the guy.

Edited by MiniFiend UK

I remember him acting in the BBC drama 'Ruby In The Smoke' & it's follow up called (?) which both strangely enough starred Billie Piper . Don't know much more but I like his 'look' but its early days yet.

I am now officially twice the age of the new Doctor Who :ohmy:

I was wrong about Tim E. Lord as well!

Wow just like policemen arent the doctors getting younger these days!

No idea about this guy... decides to wait until 2010 sometime to comment....

Mind you that's prob what the beeb want a clean slate... not such a bad thing IMO. ( oh darn I just commented! :) )

T.

I am now officially twice the age of the new Doctor Who :ohmy:

its a bit odd him being only 26 thats the same age as myself :ohmy:

i suppose they'll probably air some more of his work in between get us used to him rather than not tell us anything and have a "who the hell is this" moment

Wow just like policemen arent the doctors getting younger these days!

No idea about this guy... decides to wait until 2010 sometime to comment....

Mind you that's prob what the beeb want a clean slate... not such a bad thing IMO. ( oh darn I just commented! :) )

T.

I do remember reading that a clean slate is exactly what moffet is after when he takes over.

This guy's good. As bhm said he was in Ruby in the Smoke and the sequel Shadow in the North (anyone notice that the final part of the trilogy was not on this year?) and he does a good cockney accent, although I'm not sure how that helps.

Perhaps if he encounters those dreaded aliens "The Londoners" and needs to communicate with them.

Or not.

I watched the little clip with him on the BBC's website... I kinda like this kid. He's got a weird, nervous energy about him that I think will follow Tennant well...

Has to do something about the hair though...