UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Marvel wave 33 & 34 now shipping from BBTS

groundhog7s

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate how more and more the new stuff doesn't match the old stuff. Simplicity is best, DST!

I disagree the newer, more detailed stuff, is much better than the older Minimates. Why would you want such colorful and detail driven characters to be so plain and dull.

Because you're confusing "simple" with "dull". Wave 2 Carnage is a great example. Heck, wave 2 all the war around. They were detailed, you knew exactly who they were. I don't need to see every ab crunch on Parker. Carnage doesn't need a new piece for all his wieldy tentacles. Venom has a tongue, which is something they have yet to recreate.

Yeah, you need detail. Some characters don't work without it. But my point wasn't that I wish they were all 'dull'. I wish they matched the earlier waves better. Especially the faces. The faces are fer too extravagant now. They used to be cartoony.

I hate how more and more the new stuff doesn't match the old stuff. Simplicity is best, DST!

I disagree the newer, more detailed stuff, is much better than the older Minimates. Why would you want such colorful and detail driven characters to be so plain and dull.

Because you're confusing "simple" with "dull". Wave 2 Carnage is a great example. Heck, wave 2 all the war around. They were detailed, you knew exactly who they were. I don't need to see every ab crunch on Parker. Carnage doesn't need a new piece for all his wieldy tentacles. Venom has a tongue, which is something they have yet to recreate.

Yeah, you need detail. Some characters don't work without it. But my point wasn't that I wish they were all 'dull'. I wish they matched the earlier waves better. Especially the faces. The faces are fer too extravagant now. They used to be cartoony.

i tend to agree about some of the newer faces--- too much detail and over-rendering sometimes robs the 'mates of their charm. and while i do enjoy a great many of the extra sculpted pieces for some of the newer 'mates, at times dst goes a bit over-board (like thanos' sculpted fingers, for instance).

It's an age old argument. I do prefer the newer Minimates when they have updated older characters. I think there's a big difference between Invaders Cap and wave 6 Cap, and the newer one just blows the older one away.

I think there's a big difference between Invaders Cap and wave 6 Cap, and the newer one just blows the older one away.

BLASPHEMY!

:D

Seriously though, that is blasphemy.

I think we're the only ones left in that particular church Sam. I was looking at Civil War Cap recently who is nigh on non-existent these days (ebay) & just marvelled at it's originality......how did we get that one??? :ohmy:

There was a Cap America in wave 6? ;)

Having just put all of my marvel stuff in display cabinets in chronological order I have to say I really appreciate the simple lines & moldings of the earlier minimates. The new stuff looks bulky/ugly and kills articulation. I actually don't mind the more complex face tampos, it's the over use of big chests, crotchs and slip on masks that bug me. Yes they are great where they are needed to add bulk but please stop using them on everything!

The other thing that was hugely apparent was the molding and plastic quality has taken a nosedive too, compare any early wave figure to a newer one and the older just oozes quality compared to the most recent ones.

T.

But, although I agree with you Tim, I see the need for DST to make the changes they've made. Minimates have barely gone up in price since they were started years ago. I'm sure the quality of the parts has something to do with that. And I'm sure that part of their longevity is in the evolution of the mates. I don't think the simplicity of Minimates would have kept the line going. These aren't Kubricks that have had a following for a long time with fans that expect the same, basic figure for themost part. I think change was necessary for Marvel to continue. I don't like most of the changes, but I understand why it had to be done.

I agree that Minimates need to evolve and move forward, but there has to be a compromise, I think. I don't know that too much extra bulk necessarily needs to be a part of that, because I guess I don't think that is necessary to keeping older fans around or obtaining new fans. Good examples are updated "Classic" Iron Man and the much ballyhooed Invaders Cap. Both are nice updates, taking advantage of the increased detail and little technological innovations that Minimates are capable of now, but without going over-board like many of the newer Hulk figures do. When they just become ugly and over-done, I'm not sure who that benefits.

Edited by karamazov80

When I bought the 1st Wave of Marvel Minimates from my LCS I remember thinking when will they do a Captain America, and while the Wave 5 Captain America will always hold a special place in my heart and my collection i think that The Invaders Captain America is a perfect storm of excellence. If the mask had been one of the traditional masks and not a slip on I don't think that there would be any debate on the issue of which is superior.

Back on topic. My LCS is getting Wave 33 in this week.

I agree with TBT!. The originals ,like MEGO figures, are cool and have a place in my heart and collection for being simpler and straight to the point. I like the new stuff, detailed and with complex molds of armor and what not, but the classics have their draw to them.

I think there's a big difference between Invaders Cap and wave 6 Cap, and the newer one just blows the older one away.

BLASPHEMY!

:D

Seriously though, that is blasphemy.

I think we're the only ones left in that particular church Sam. I was looking at Civil War Cap recently who is nigh on non-existent these days (ebay) & just marvelled at it's originality......how did we get that one??? :ohmy:

Assuming we're actually talking about Wave 5 Captain America, all I can say is: he continues to hold the place on honor on my display shelf.

Some of the other Caps are cool, but none top the original. :)

I called my local comic store Steve's Comic Relief yesterday and he said they are getting wave 33 and SpiderMan Friends And Foes in this week. They have Menace and Anti Venom two pack and SpiderMan Friends And Foes box set on hold for me. Dad said he can take me over tomorrow to get them. I hope I can also get the variant to wave 3 also.

So many great mates coming out.. and so little $$ with a baby on the way. Maybe I can justify it by saying we are "sharing" the minimates.. even though he can't touch them until he is a teenager. :)

I have been looking forward to these Sentinals for quite a while.. as mentioned on another thread: some home made battle damage could be fun on a few of them.

So many great mates coming out.. and so little $$ with a baby on the way. Maybe I can justify it by saying we are "sharing" the minimates.. even though he can't touch them until he is a teenager. :)

I have been looking forward to these Sentinals for quite a while.. as mentioned on another thread: some home made battle damage could be fun on a few of them.

lol. i said the very same thing about my son (except i said he couldn't touch my minimates until he was 30 :lol: ).

Good to see you still around and collecting... You've been quite the stranger lately!

Apparently Minimates are forever... like herpes.

My shop did finally get Series 33 in this week but no 34. I'll have to ask about that.

it seems teh 33 and 34 coming together online happened with the online shops like BBTS and AFX....all my comic shops got only 33 this week

and yea good to see your still around!

Jeff of the Miniacs