UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Wave 36 new pic

battlecat

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude! Stiltman!! The Mandarin!! Crimson Dynamo!! STILTMAN!!! What's not to love here?

I'm not going gaga over this wave as a whole like some others appear to be (in general, I've already got enough Iron Man related Minimates to last the rest of my lifetime). But yeah, Stiltman is going to rock like a magikist.

Mirymate hit the nail on the head. Even if you are ambivalent toward the Dreadnought and have had enough of Iron Man, we're getting Mandarin, Crimson Dynamo, and Stilt Man. That's two classic, must-have Iron Man villains and Stilt-Man.

Edited by Turtle

i agree that the most exciting part of this wave (for me at least) is the villains.

Don't get me wrong, the iron-men look very nicely made - but 3 great villains in one wave is a bit exciting in my books. 5 if you wanna count the double mandarin love and dreadnought.

Edited by Nessex

Mirymate hit the nail on the head. Even if you are ambivalent toward the Dreadnought and have had enough of Iron Man, we're getting Mandarin, Crimson Dynamo, and Stilt Man. That's two classic, must-have Iron Man villains and Stilt-Man.

I know that many of us are craving villains, and that this set is a God-send in that sense. However, I've never been a fan of the racial stereotype characters like "Mandarin" :D , and I'm not very familiar with Crimson Dynamo from the comics, but he looks on his surface to be. . .a red Iron Man variant. So, that's one's not doing much for a casual Iron Man fan like myself, but I may be in the minority here.

I know that many of us are craving villains, and that this set is a God-send in that sense. However, I've never been a fan of the racial stereotype characters like "Mandarin" :D , and I'm not very familiar with Crimson Dynamo from the comics, but he looks on his surface to be. . .a red Iron Man variant. So, that's one's not doing much for a casual Iron Man fan like myself, but I may be in the minority here.

The Crimson Dynamo, with Mandarin and Titanium Man, are the probably the top three villains in Iron Man's rogues gallery. It's history is long and complicated, but I can work something up if there's interest. (I've thought of starting a Mirypedia thread where i can take requests for Marvel info, or just rattle off factoids about Marvel-mate characters) The Dynamo as an armor design is actually one of the few non-Iron Man armors that could be called successful. (Doom not withstanding)

I understand about the Mandarin though. I think that later stories overcame the 'bad stereotype' nature of his original design. But that's my opinion. YMMV.

Heck, I'm even pumped for the Dreadnaughts.

I think I'll admit to being somewhat of a like mind here. I wasn't really a part of the crowd that clamored for crimson Dynamo, and while I would've done without Mandarin I will concede that his modern mate looks cool in a "textbook villain" sort of way, racial stereotypes aside.

But yeah, even a newb like me can back characters like Stiltman :D Hopefullythis may now pave the way for some other IM foes in future waves, like Madame Masque or some Spymaster-type obscure character in a fruit cocktail wave. We'll see.

Oh, and I heartily support a Mirypedia thread. ;)

To further clarify--I know next to nothing about Iron Man. The extent of my knowledge comes from the TPB I had as a kid where Hammer took over his armor, various Avengers stories, and the movie. So I'll just shut up about the potential well-known-ness of his rogue's gallery :)

I'm sure that I would have learned much more if Amazon would have sent me the Omnibus that I ordered. But alas, cruel fate. . .

My knowledge of Iron Man stems mostly from the cartoon in the 80s. Was it Marvel's Hour of Power with Iron Man and the Fantastic 4?

Strange but true fact, 90% of Iron Man Minimates leave me totally cold, yet I love the movie-style ones. I think it is great to see some Iron Man villains though, Mandarin has been high on most people's list for a long time.

I think this wave is real nice. The colors and characters are rad.

One could presuppose that we will get a similar wave when the Thor Movie is released next year. Thus some of the Wrecking Crew members are bound to make an appearance.

Edited by gentry

However, I've never been a fan of the racial stereotype characters like "Mandarin" :D

Hey, at least it's not The Yellow Claw :blink:

I also know next to nothing about Iron Man's solo comics, so I'm really only looking forward to Stilt Man (how can you not?) and the shiny new Silver Centurion. I didn't even know Madame Masque was IM-centric until reading NR's post, but I'm a bit surprised she's not in the wave since she's been appearing in the New Avengers/Hood stuff for the past couple of years.

My knowledge of Iron Man stems mostly from the cartoon in the 80s. Was it Marvel's Hour of Power with Iron Man and the Fantastic 4?

That cartoon was actually from the 90s. I know this because I wasn't around in the 80s, but I recall seeing the second seasons of both shows first run.

Oh, and marvel power hour wasn't just those two shows. Occasionally they would also show "Biker Mice from Mars." Clearly the best known of the three.

To each their own I guess. I mean, I wasn't meaning to disrespect anyone's fanhood. I'm just much more interested in this wave than 33 and 34 combined.

But I'm taking notes... so you guys want info on non-mate annouced characters like Madame Masque or want me to focus on folks with minimates?

But I'm taking notes... so you guys want info on non-mate annouced characters like Madame Masque or want me to focus on folks with minimates?

Both would be swell, as long as we keep it to non-mate characters that actually have a decent shot at getting mated. :)

Keeping this post on topic:

So we now know from the BBTS solicits that Stilt Man will come with two extendo-leg parts. Obviously that's not nearly tall enough. What do we do about all the stilt-hoarding that might ensue?

Dude! Stiltman!! The Mandarin!! Crimson Dynamo!! STILTMAN!!! What's not to love here?

lol. too true! :P

That cartoon was actually from the 90s. I know this because I wasn't around in the 80s, but I recall seeing the second seasons of both shows first run.

Oh, and marvel power hour wasn't just those two shows. Occasionally they would also show "Biker Mice from Mars." Clearly the best known of the three.

Blimey, I checked Wikipedia and you're right, the Marvel Action Hour was 1994.

absolutely.

now if only dst gets around to making the lizard and a bulkier version of rhino we'll have pretty much a full stable of all the major spidey villians. woo-hoo!

now if only dst gets around to making the lizard and a bulkier version of rhino we'll have pretty much a full stable of all the major spidey villians. woo-hoo!

Except Morbius, Molten Man, Boomerrang, Speed Demon, Doppleganger, Cardiac, Jackel, Tombstone, Demogoblin... :blush:

Except Morbius, Molten Man, Boomerrang, Speed Demon, Doppleganger, Cardiac, Jackel, Tombstone, Demogoblin... :blush:

Key word is major. Only two or three of those strike me as major and that's Jackal, Morbius, and Tombstone (him only because of Spectacular Spider-Man.)

Demogoblin... not major. Speed Demon? You're kidding right? Molten Man isn't a villain anymore last I checked. And Doppel is a bit off a joke. Cardiac... who's he again?

*squeal* i'd LOVE to see a Doppleganger mate . . . (especially if it meant we could get a Spiral)