UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Universal Monsters Minimates

• Replies 882
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

So I've been making changes on the existing figures.

A cape-less Dracula, using Herman Munster parts on Frankenstein's Monster, dremelling Quasimodo for a shorter stature and giving the Bride of Frankenstein a different skirted look for more articulation.

I've even got a neat "all clear" Invisible Man (wearing only sunglasses).Yet, I'm still trying to think of a way to put together a bandaged head without the use of sculpty. I'm no good with that stuff. Any ideas from anybody?

I've thought about some kinda tape before, perhaps electrical, but have to wonder how it'd take gloss coating... or how long it'd hold up. Y'see, I like to pose and play with my 'mates.

I'll try to get some pictures tomorrow when it's lighter again outside. I find all my best pictures are done outside in natural light. So they won't be spooky, but at least they'll be clear to see.

Re: dremel-use for shortness. It works great on Quas, as his bulky chest piece covers over the torso. That'd be tough on a character whose painted torso details you could see, like Wolverine, though. However, you could always use the other method I used... which was to dremel the bottom of the legs where the foot-peg holes go. If you go to a specific shortness, you'll also have to trim the foot peg so it'll go into the leg hole, though. The tip, regardless, is to take off a little at a time and see how you like that before taking off any more. You can't put it back! :)

Edited by Mystery Man

I've thought about some kinda tape before, perhaps electrical, but have to wonder how it'd take gloss coating... or how long it'd hold up. Y'see, I like to pose and play with my 'mates.

I'll try to get some pictures tomorrow when it's lighter again outside. I find all my best pictures are done outside in natural light. So they won't be spooky, but at least they'll be clear to see.

Re: dremel-use for shortness. It works great on Quas, as his bulky chest piece covers over the torso. That'd be tough on a character whose painted torso details you could see, like Wolverine, though. However, you could always use the other method I used... which was to dremel the bottom of the legs where the foot-peg holes go. If you go to a specific shortness, you'll also have to trim the foot peg so it'll go into the leg hole, though. The tip, regardless, is to take off a little at a time and see how you like that before taking off any more. You can't put it back! smile.png

Take an extra Spider-Man full head mask and cover that in tape. Should hold up better than trying to make a sculpted mask out of just tape and the look wouldn't be too bad.

The reason I recommended artist tape is because it's thin, it's paper, and it's textured (like masking tape). It's also easily removable for repositioning.

I'll have to see if it's available locally. Otherwise, it's online purchase time for me. Thanks a heap!

It'd also make putting those damned sunglasses on the head easier. Getting them to glue accordingly to the blank translucent head I worked up was a bee-yotch.

Pictures please! I always wanted to dremel my Wolverines, they're all crouching sad.png

I thought about dremeling the legs 80 I didn't even think about doing it to the torso

I am very confused right now...

smh

Well, I'd intended to use an existing head or full-head-mask rather than just trying to wrap one in circles.

Just wondering what type of tape would be best. What has the least fabric? Electrical?

Whatever you do, do NOT use electrical tape. The glue on such is too soft and will squish out over time.

I'm sad to hear that this line is "on hold" by DST. I did a Phantom and Invisible Man a couple years back, as I had a feeling this line wouldn't get to them. Here are the recipes for mine, hopefully it helps you to make your own:

Here's my Invisible Man:

InvisibleManMiniMates.jpg

His trenchcoat is a Larry Talbot suit top with a skirt on the bottom, with a little sculpy to make the fold and waist part. The base head is Iceman, then I got a slipover mask (probably Spider-Man) and wrapped it with medical tape that I got from work. Painted it to look more like cloth wraps. His glasses are from the original Bruce Banner.

Also good news, it seems DST will be releasing a robe/trenchcoat that may work perfect:

1371142870000-Thieves-toys-1306131313_4_

The Phantom is a little simpler.

10983bc5-2e4c-452b-aa58-369890de4c04.jpg

His coat is a modified Series 3 Jean Grey Trench Coat to be shaped like a suit jacket with tails. I printed out a graphic for his undershirt, vest, and bow. His head is modified Janosz figure from the Ghostbuster's line:

c8b9dcb2-cf13-4069-a9c2-97e0f3d516ab.jpg

Janosz.jpg

POTOchest.jpg

/POTO_lowervestbelt.jpg.html'>POTO_lowervestbelt.jpg

I also made a Mummy (at that time I wasn't sure if DST would release one).

426d0452-f2c5-4c05-930e-c90b4abd3c11.jpg

He is mostly wraps that are painted, and a graphic head.

Mummy.jpg

GROUP SHOT:

9eb6dbd8-8282-46f3-babc-cfcefa920711.jpg

*Thanks to DST & Minimate Database for the images!

Edited by Joe Hill