UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Universal Monsters Minimates

• Replies 882
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

I really like this line and hope it continues long enough to get the Mummy. Ive bought 2-3 sets of each, hoping to do my part to have the line continue. I personally think that releasing two sets each year will kill the line. The length of time between releases can cause a lot of people to lose interest.

Edited by Mister Nick

I second what Master Nick has said. I can understand that they are limited in what they can do with the licence (only so many Universal movies) and they want to release them in time for Halloween, but considering as how it could well be 2012 before we get all of them, and most if not all were shown at the 2010 Toy Fair (i.e. 18 months ago). Like Master Nick said, it could well kill the line if we have to wait so long.

Looks like the universal monsters statues wave 3 will feature the phantom of the opera and invisible man!hopefully that's what wave 3 of mates will be!

Those two monsters would definitely be a nice addition for the Universal Monster minimates. I made customs of them, but will gladly replace them with DST's products.

After Drcaula and Frankenstein, the only other wave shown was The Mummy. I hope The Invisible Man and Phantom get added into Wave 3. While I enjoy all the supporting civilian characters being released (Gwen Conliffe, Van Helsing, etc); an average collector really just wants the monsters. It might be best for the survival of the line to just limit releases to the main monsters and maybe just one supporting character:

Invisible Man (robe)/Flora

th_inivisbleman1933-suchasillyfellow.jpg

Phantom (w/ removable mask)/Christine

th_old.jpgth_phantom-1.jpg

Invisible Man (trenchcoat)/Red Death Phantom

th_0the_invisible_man1.jpgth_Phantomtechnicolor.jpg

Quasimodo/Esmerelda

th_Hunchback_of_Notre_Dame.jpg

Mole Person/Metaluna Mutant

th_tumblr_lisejjYank1qcay1ao1_500.jpgth_THIS15.png

Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde (Abbott and Costello version)

th_b.jpgth_a.jpg

Good selections, Joe!

I'd add a "Son of Frankenstein" version of the Monster w/ wooly vest and Fritz or Ygor in there.

Also, a Gillman from "Creature Walks Among Us" would be nice.

A Son of Frankenstein Monster would be fun. It is funny you mention Fritz and Ygor, I just finished customizing an Ygor in anticipation of the Frankenstein Minimates being released soon. He isn't based off Fritz or any Ygor in specific, but mostly Igor from Young Frankenstein.

th_Ygor2-1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Really digging the new Packaging, but I'm more or less afraid if we have the same plastic issues as the last wave. :whistling:

The humans don't appear to have the hideous spray tan look to them the previous wave's did. There's a step in the right direction.

They look very cool, but I'm just not sure this is a license that can be milked with multiple variants of the main monsters and characters like "Villager" and "Dr. Van Helsing" that are mostly only going to appeal to hardcore Minimate collectors and/or horror movie buffs. Seems like they would do better just to have 4 packs with the primary monsters and more recognizable characters. Dracula, Frankenstein's monster, Bride of Franky, and Doc Frankenstein himself from this series, for example. Those are really the only ones I want. . .

BTW, anyone else think that Dracula looks like the version from the Monster Squad?

Edited by karamazov80

I’m upset they switched it so it’s now “Villager/Bride” now and not “Villager/Frankenstein” (that’s right, I called “Frankenstein’s monster” just “Frankenstein”, deal with it!) like was originally announced.

I had plans for all the extra Frankenstiens (yup, I did it again) that are moot now, ah well...

I do think these will sell better then last year since they’re headlining characters and there’s more interesting characters instead of just 3 versions of the monsters (technically 4), 1 scuba dude, and 1 dude in the most boringest grey suit ever.

Too bad DST had not previously released a female vampire minimate. One could use that head and modify it with the bride of Frankenstein body and dress to make a few brides of Dracula (if one was army building the villager).

I'm planning on doing that, actually. Won't have "toothy" faces... but I'm already checking out hairpieces that'll be suitable.