UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Universal Monsters Minimates

I'm really hoping these still get made. My father absolutely loves the classic movie monsters and this was a great gift for him this Christmas, he'd love to get the rest I'm sure.

The only thing I noticed, is that they are $3.98 on the website but still full price in store......and my TRU had stocked a whole bunch for the holiday season and they are still sitting there, yet still no new Marvel waves or box sets.

• Replies 882
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully these get treated like the superhero movie lines. Just because the Creature & Wolfman doesn't sell well (better than the preorders for the Nic Cage Ghost Rider line), DST & TRU still give priority to Dracula, Frankenstein & the Mummy (like X-men, Spidey & Iron Man). And yes, the humans really hurt this line.

• 3 weeks later...

I think the problem is there's absolutely no reason to buy the TRU sets unless you don't know about the four packs. If you want these and are aware, you're going to want the four packs for the extra character, so the TRU sets are unnecessary, the only new set was the BW set, and personally I think a better TRU exclusive would have been to follow the Marvel approach, add a new character or two. Claude Rains as Larry's father for example, Bela the Gypsy or Maria Ouspenskaya would have been interesting additions to the Wolf-Man sets and would have resulted in a purchase from me, but all the two packs are going to sit there with fans who know, because they already have the four packs or plan to.

I think the problem is there's absolutely no reason to buy the TRU sets unless you don't know about the four packs. If you want these and are aware, you're going to want the four packs for the extra character, so the TRU sets are unnecessary, the only new set was the BW set, and personally I think a better TRU exclusive would have been to follow the Marvel approach, add a new character or two. Claude Rains as Larry's father for example, Bela the Gypsy or Maria Ouspenskaya would have been interesting additions to the Wolf-Man sets and would have resulted in a purchase from me, but all the two packs are going to sit there with fans who know, because they already have the four packs or plan to.

Though the specialty store packs are the way to go - TRU reaches a much wider market for those who don't frequent comic stores, don't have access to a good comic book store and/or don't buy extensively online (like so many of us).

Without cannibalizing the specialty market (by selling the same products) - this seems like a good way to get products into a market that would otherwise have been missed

I agree with Valo487, the TRU UMs waves needs to differ considerably from the specialty market versions. The inclusion of new movie characters is a must, but once the monter(s) are used up what left? Humans? Not great eye candy for the Joe regular passerbyer. This situation seems like your typical double edged sword scenario.

• 2 weeks later...

Universal Monsters pics from NY TF 2011. These still look to be on tap for a September release. The Drac and Frankenstein sets shown seem to be final product and not prototypes. Check out the cheap tanned plastic on the humans. I sure hope the Mummy boxed set makes it in this Sept before the line gets sh!t canned.

TOY_3896_resize.JPG

TOY_3897_resize.JPG

TOY_3895_resize.JPG

TOY_3894_resize.JPG

TOY_3893_resize.JPG

TOY_3886_resize.JPG

Mummy sets are still on tap to be my complete favorites of the series and my reasons for buying the other, and they have the potential to be joining the ranks of my favorite minimates of all time. They, and the sarcophagus, look outstanding.

But, CRAP!! Cheese-skin is returning. I thought we ditched this after the awful skintone of Kay. Now...we have these...look at Drac's female lead and Dr. Frankenstein. That is GARISH. If Mummy's minimates look like that (hopefully they are painted) i might throw quite the fit.

Looking good! Now we just need to make sure they get released, so buy up all those peg-warming TRU sets!!! <_<

I'm pretty sure DST said in one of their older Q&As that the Dracula & Frankenstein sets WERE A DONE DEAL and coming out as scheduled. Based on how well those sold would determine the future of the line. They also said they'd TRY to get the Mummy set out as well, almost like they are anticipating the death of this license. Fingers crossed for the Mummy set. It's a shame about the Invisible Man. He had a really cool looking prototype that I'd have loved to see as the real deal.

Edited by MINI_MYTE

Looking good! Now we just need to make sure they get released, so buy up all those peg-warming TRU sets!!! <_<

I'm pretty sure DST said in one of their older Q&As that the Dracula & Frankenstein sets WERE A DONE DEAL and coming out as scheduled. Based on how well those sold would determine the future of the line. They also said they'd TRY to get the Mummy set out as well, almost like they are anticipating the death of this license. Fingers crossed for the mummy set. It's a shame about the Invisible Man. He had a really cool looking prototype that I'd have loved to see as the real deal.

I had asked about Invisible Man at NYCC last year. Chuck had mentioned he was really there just for show, and would likely be a Promo Item or not at all.

I had asked about Invisible Man at NYCC last year. Chuck had mentioned he was really there just for show, and would likely be a Promo Item or not at all.

He'd make for a great Con exclusive. Are you listenning DST Chuck? Invisible Man = Great Con exclusive. 'Nuff said!

Edited by MINI_MYTE

Wait so this year is frankenstein and dracula right?Hopefully their is another black and white set of these guys...
For sure we'll see a B&W version of Frank and Drac. The other TRU exclusive hopeful (who was missing from TF 2011) is the angry villager we saw at last year's SDCC. Hopefully he makes it into the TRU mix to give fans a reason to purchase from the chain instead of waiting around for the CBS 4-pack release.

Too bad they're not showing the final version of Mina in that solicitation pic. There she's a fair skinned redhead, but what we're gonna end up with is ....

TOY_3895_resize.JPG

...a tanned blonde. C'mon DST, didn't you guys learn from the last 2 sets? <_<

Not sure if this was a typo, but a news item about the Drac set on TNI says it's due out in May.

Maybe they're trying to push out Drac (and hopefully Frank) early so they can build up a little steam and get Mummy out this year, too?

I hope this is true, but the display card still shows the Mummy minimate set as being released "fall 2012". But hopefully things change. *fingers crossed*

Edited by MINI_MYTE