UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Universal Monsters Minimates

• Replies 882
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is certainly what I, and I'm sure many others were worried about... if they don't change the schedule, I'm almost certain we won't see all the monsters. I got these sets, but if I've not got them all, I'm not particularly fussed about having any.

Well, it's moot at this point. Releasing the next wave in March or October of next year isn't likely to make a difference if there's no momentum to the line anyway. Perhaps they should have stuck to one blast of the core characters in four TRU exclusive packs. If the line had legs, they could expand; if not, at least they got out the ones people wanted.

It's my two cents, but they should've released them a few months apart and struck while the iron was hot. I fear this'll be another Street Fighter II.

My girlfriend mentioned the same thing that Lobsterman did... release an all color set and/or a black and white set of just the monsters and then trickle out the sets with the alternate versions and people characters over time.

This property had me the most excited and now the most disappointed, wondering if it'll ever be completed.

As cool as Wolfman and the Creature are, the big guns are really Frankenstein's Monster and Dracula. Those are the characters that would really move sets. I think DST should have swapped out Wolfman for Frankenstein in this first series to give it that initial momentum.

I keep my Creature out all the time since he's essentially all by his lonesome when it comes to the time period of movies he starred in. With the Wolfman, Dracula, Frankenstein's Monster and the Bride they're all from the same era. Even the Mummy, while not co-starring along with any of the others still came from the early 1930's era of cinema and the dress and period-style go with it. Tough to have the Wolfman out without really wishing you had somebody else to go along with him.

So I'm on the opposite end... I'm glad we got the Gillman. The rest all go together like a team, whereas he's the lone wolf.

Gillman = Spider-Man

Frank, Drac, Wolfman, Bride = Fantastic Four

Mummy = Iron Man

You can have Mummy or Gillman by themselves... but any of the other ones beg for all the others.

As cool as Wolfman and the Creature are, the big guns are really Frankenstein's Monster and Dracula. Those are the characters that would really move sets. I think DST should have swapped out Wolfman for Frankenstein in this first series to give it that initial momentum.

To be fair though, when DST announced Creature and Wolfman were first up 'the Wolfman' was just hitting theaters, had it been a success putting Wolfman in the first would have been an excellent idea since people would be all psyched up to watch the film on DVD/Blu-Ray/Digital Copy come Halloween... instead it bombed and the rest is history.

... I am glad that Drac and Mummy sets traded places though. Assuming Creature/Wolfman sold enough we're still getting next years sets it probably means we'll actually get the Mummy and however-he's-coming-out-Invisible Man since there's no way Drac and Frankenstein (and I'm referring to the monster, I know the Doctor is Frankenstein and the Monster is called "the Monster" or "the Creature" or "The Monster of Dr.Frankenstein" if you're not into the whole brevity thing or as some revisionist assholes call him "Adam" but I call him "Frankenstein" so deal with it) won't sell... and if they don't at least we've got the Big 3 and the Creature, who is my personal favorite, but would feel like a hollow victory without Drac and Frankenstein to complete the set with Wolfman... which is why I'm counting down until "August" (honestly, they meant "first week of October" just like how this years sets were supposed to be "August '10") of next year when the release date is quietly missed just like the Rocky 3 set which BBTS only a few months ago removed from my pre-order que.

although note to Scalpers: Buy up as many Wolfman sets as you can NOW. Why? Because once it's confirmed we're getting Drac and Frankenstein (still mean the Monster, not the Doctor) late adoptors will want the Wolfman to complete the 'Big 3' and just like the Back to the Future and Ghostbuster sets were easy to find when they first came out and are now big money on eBay since late adopters *NEED* them to complete a set so shall be Wolfman. (note: this probably won't be the case since their local TRU will probably still have Wolfman sets, but if I can trick scalpers into buying enough sets I actually get a Frankenstein minimate, of the monster not the doctor, then I think I did okay...)

TRU & The Ghostbusters licence heralded a new era for Minimates & if DST convinced TRU that BSG would sell to the masses then there is a great deal of hope for more Universal Monsters. I've not actually seen all the UM's in the flesh yet but from what I have seen they epitomise what Minimates used to mean to me , Mr.Weirdolgeek-Nichetoycollector. They'll sit well in my collection alongside their kubrick counterparts which feature the same characters ,surpassing in quality one or two of the kubricks in the process. That's from the heart.

My 'head' however is convinced that DST is rolling along like the Wehrmacht into the Russian Steppes heading for Moscow. Nothing appears to be standing in their way & their progress seems unstoppable. Panzer Mk.4s have replaced the Mk.3's ,2's & 1's but quality has suffered & no attention has been made to the supply lines for spare parts. Winter is coming & if this behemoth falters now its scorched-earth policy with regards to Bricks & Mortar whilst advancing may lead to its dramatic demise in retreat.

Please forgive the crude analogy to Barbarossa ,dreamed up by a true monster.

Edited by buttheadsmate

Mr.Weirdolgeek-Nichetoycollector.

Is that what you have on your calling card? Because if it's not, I'm going to make you some.

My 'head' however is convinced that DST is rolling along like the Wehrmacht into the Russian Steppes heading for Moscow. Nothing appears to be standing in their way & their progress seems unstoppable. Panzer Mk.4s have replaced the Mk.3's ,2's & 1's but quality has suffered & no attention has been made to the supply lines for spare parts. Winter is coming & if this behemoth falters now its scorched-earth policy with regards to Bricks & Mortar whilst advancing may lead to its dramatic demise in retreat.

You, sir, are a delight. :lol:

I know Halloween is long gone, but I never was able to upload my second Universal Monster movie. Since I consider the Halloween customs thread kind of dead now and this one still active, I decided to post my creation here. I present to you all...

The Creature From the Black Lagoon. Enjoy!

(NOTE): I realized I accidently wrote Universal Pictures instead of Universal Studios. My bad. Please try not to let it ruin your fun. It will be corrected at a future date. Thanks for your understanding.

th_CreaturefromtheBlackLagoon.jpg

and for those who remember (or didn't see it the first time) here is...

the Wolfman

th_TheWolfman_0001.jpg

Wow, that boat/underwater diorama you made looks amazing with these figures!

Sorry, I didn't make it. It's actually a McFarlane Toys Monsters diorama from many a year ago. They do make great dioramas for the minimates though.

Wow, that boat/underwater diorama you made looks amazing with these figures!

Sorry, I didn't make it. It's actually a McFarlane Toys Monsters diorama from many a year ago. They do make great dioramas for the minimates though.

Ah, well the video was very cool nonetheless. :)

Just so I'm clear (been distracted for a while) the Universal Monsters box set each contain one original mate along with re-relelases of three we all scoured TRU to get our hands on, correct?

Correct, the 4-packs are the only way to get the female leads.

Got mine yesterday, madness and all. Thankfully TRU at the end of the day is pretty much blank! I absolutely love the b/w Wolfman for cuteness factor. As for the Creature, he seems a bit bulky and looks better in color. Still. Wolfman is actually my favorite out of that set. Color Wolfman is also adorable and probably one of my favorites.

• 3 weeks later...

Despite the crowds, I love Toys 'R Us at Christmas, because things that had been sitting on the pegs for months finally are sold. Last Christmas was how the last of the Wolverine Origins Minimates finally disappeared. And this Christmas is no exception - I'm down to one Thor / Loki pack, one Crimson Dynamo / Iron Man pack and one Thing / Torch pack for Marvel Minimates. Take that, stupid Thor packs that have been there for most of the year!

The MAX heroes figures sold out weeks ago, and the new HALO Minimates are literally flying off the shelves. Everything Minimates is selling - except for the Monster Minimates. I've still got at least a full case sitting in the pegs. Which is a shame, because they're really well-done Minimates. But no one seems to want them...

• 4 weeks later...

Ugh... is this the right time for "nail in the coffin" jokes?

Of all of the TRU exclusive lines, this seems to be the only one that's been a certified flop. I wonder if the problem was the (relatively) low profile/lack of recognition of these particular characters for the target demographic – 8 to 12 year olds – or if kids just aren't that into monsters.

Hopefully they take another chance on Drac and Frankie this year...

These are HUGE peg warmers at the 2 TRUs that I frequent. I passed on them myself as i just can't get into them. Are they any worse of a flop than BSG? Those things are still taking up lots of retail space and they are on clearance.