UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Toy Fair 2010 thread

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey wait... I just noticed... In this pic... The modern Mandarin has FINGERS!

First Thanos, now Mandarin.

Oh dear oh dear oh dear.

Well he does have 10 rings after all. I'm just curious as to why his variant doesn't have ANY rings.

Don't forget that Transformation Venom/SM3 Venom had fingers too. Sure they were claw fingers. But you could see each individual finger

Exciting Minimates news from Toyfair this year... lots of things that we didn't see coming... of particular note:

1. Universal monsters - though I hat to wait a year between waves, these are are fantastic likenesses... I just hope they don't peter off before finishing all the sets... There isn't 1 set that isn't amazing. Maybe some Zombies next?

2. Tarot - Haunted

vagina

or not - I like the comic and I like these... put my name on the list (Though if you've seen the comic it begs the question: Why no Powergirl-esque power chest?)

3. Elite Heroes Police & Fire - they're cool... will probably get these. I like the heli and the APC, but I'm not quite sold on those w/o more pics

4. Pirates - I got two words: Hell Yeah! - That being said, I like the fact that it's a good mix of pirates and navy officers for some variation. I really like the mini ship.

5. Marvel wave 36 - Lots of cool charaters - though I hate to say it, but stiltman is not a favorite (I'm just not crazy about the exagerated appendages a la Mr. Fantastic & Stiltman etc). Otherwise, very light on future Marvel selection... I wonder if this is fallout from the Disney buyout

6. Spiderman Friends & Foes - Nice looking set,

7. M.A.X - The robot suite aren't too exciting for me - jet pack is pretty OK, and I was interested to see double seating in the jet that is coming out.

8. GB 4 - nice to get a non-possessed Dana - not too excited about the rest - i hope they round out the wave with something that's got a little more flash.

9.BTTF Delorean- nothing new there, though I still want to see which mate is packaged witht the tru version

10. IM2 & T2 - No surprises, all very nice looking

11.The Galileo is cool - nice proportions AND it seats a family of 4 - that is a must buy. The BD Spock makes sense given the Galileo Seven episode. Perhaps newer versions (like ST5), DS9 or TNG will follow if this does well

12. No re-show of Beverly Hills Cop or Godfather... looks like both of those lines are "sleeping with the fishes".

13. Fathers Day sets are cool... the fisherman hat and vest would allow a cool custom M*A*S*H Henry Blake Figure.

On a broader DST note - noticed little shown for 7" ST, SG or BSG figures. I wonder if those are losing momentum. I was also hoping to see the TWOK communicator that was previewed at SDCC. The large ships look amazing, though the cost of my minimate addiction prevents me from collecting those.

I'm wondering about the marketing for the Father's Day stuff. While I could see it on a shelf at Toys R Us, at the same time it seems like an odd place. That reads more like a Hallmark thing. If DST can get those on a shelf at some card carrying store, it might help push the product as well as the brand. This is the first thing since the Kellogg's mates that seems like it would have a problem deciding who the target market is.

I'm hoping for articulation on the kids that come with that set, but I'm not holding my breath.

Everything else looks awesome though. I'm glad to see DST branching out into the generic market and I hope it pays off for them. Lego was making money for years without a licensed property, as have plenty of other building block/kids toy companies. I suspect these wouldn't have been possible without Toys R Us backing Minimates (if you can call it that).

I have my doubts that we'll see all of those Ghost Busters released though. We've gone through most of the memorable ghosts from the movies, which means that the civilian GBs would have to be paired with either rereleases or lesser known ghosts, neither of which will really help them fly off shelves. If they had the slime tank variants for Ray and Winston, they might appeal more, but there isn't so much as a PKE meter amongst what is on display, so I don't see them attracting a lot of interest in continuing the line.

I'm still hoping that BD Spock and his shuttle craft mean that the other shows/movies get some attention. I think we've been beaten to death by Kirk/Spock variants.

And I'm game for Tarot. I've never read the comic or anything, but they do carry a colorful comic book feel, which has always done better at retail than the generic looking civilian characters. If nothing else, maybe it'll open the door for other comic properties.

I'm wondering about the marketing for the Father's Day stuff. While I could see it on a shelf at Toys R Us, at the same time it seems like an odd place. That reads more like a Hallmark thing. If DST can get those on a shelf at some card carrying store, it might help push the product as well as the brand. This is the first thing since the Kellogg's mates that seems like it would have a problem deciding who the target market is.

Oh please oh PLEASE tell me they're gona be at Hallmark! That would be SO awesome!

Well he does have 10 rings after all. I'm just curious as to why his variant doesn't have ANY rings.

Oh will we ever truely know which is the variant? ;)

It may be that these have both the ringed hands and a set of "normal hands". Like Beast, Thanos, and TF Venom... Except Lady D... she just got robbed there. And for her, it's not so much the hands, as the built in sleeves. If I actually cared for the character, I'd want a redo.

Interesting point... This would seem to be a impulse buy, gift item - not an "order 3-4 months in advance item) - which kind of aces out the LCS channel. Father's day isn't a TRU holiday (unlike other general merchandise retailers). Maybe this is a step toward getting back to Walmart or Target, who put out a holiday display of Father's Day related items. I'll be interested to see how these hit the market - they don't really fit into anything existing... at least not well.

I'm still hoping that BD Spock and his shuttle craft mean that the other shows/movies get some attention. I think we've been beaten to death by Kirk/Spock variants.

I've got so many Kirk & Spock variants, when there are so many additional characters I'd still like to see. However, I think we all know that to keep momentum with this license... that Kirk and Spock have to figure prominently in order to draw new consumers, or those who don't appreciate the significance of more obscure characters... I don't see that changing anytime soon

Surely old-school Mandarin will be the variant. . .and I don't mean in description on box only, either.

:no:

For many of us old-school Mandarin will be a Tangerine Dream.

tangerinedream74.jpg

^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Tangerine Dream Mates would be the bomb.

...Back on topic, im really excited for Invisible Man Mini-Mates! :)

Invisible Man minimates? I didn't see those.

aaaAAAAAaaaah! Wokah! Wokah! Wokah! [/Fozzie]

Me too! That was a real stand-out. All of the Universal stuff looks really fun.

The MAX line looks great. Great stuff. I was a little worried there might be high cheese factor there, but it looks well done.

I'm a bit surprised about the new GB stuff. I kind of figured they would be done, especially since they talked (iirc) in a QandA about not wanting to take it too far, etc.

Marvel... we ought to be getting more than just Iron Man and Spidey this year... Has DST branched out so far that (gasp) Marvel is no longer the shining center of the Minimate Universe, er, Multiverse? Or will DST be showing more goodies throughout Toy Fair?

The more I look at those forthcoming Iron Man Minimates, the more I like them. Love the obscureness of the villains - classic Mandarin, Dreadnoughts, Stilt-Man. Good stuff all around.

I'm buying that Star Trek shuttlecraft even though it comes with another damn Spock.

And I'm madly in love with the Universal Monsters Minimates. If the Mummy gets a sarcophagus, will Dracula get a coffin? And where's my Fritz or Ygor? Gotta have an assistant for the mad scientist, y'know.

Is it too much to ask for an Angry Villagers set with pitchforks, torches, stakes and silver bullets?

The more I think about it the more worried I get that the Monsters will lose sales by not being out more frequently.

And try as I might, I still like the Gillman sculpted head on the poster more than the one on the actual figure shown. Man, I hope they sculpt the whole thing and this is just a preview 'til they get it all done.

Marvel... we ought to be getting more than just Iron Man and Spidey this year... Has DST branched out so far that (gasp) Marvel is no longer the shining center of the Minimate Universe, er, Multiverse? Or will DST be showing more goodies throughout Toy Fair?

It's probably too early to panic. A lot of new properties were on display, which probably needed to be the focus of potential retail supporters. We're, what, 32 waves into the LCS waves, 6 into the TRU ones. I think we know Marvel sells at this point, so they don't have to pitch Marvel as hard to retailers.

Iron Man 2 is eating up a bunch of shelf space in the first half of this year, what with the LCS wave, the TRU wave, the army builders, the exclusives. Series 36 is slated for release in July. That still leaves about half a year, which will surely see a couple more Marvel waves, a couple more TRU waves, and probably some box sets for SDCC and the like.

Oh, I should have been clearer. I actually think it's pretty cool that DST is taking such a bold step forward with Minimates. I'm not at all worried about the Marvel line, I just want to see images of what's to come.

And villagers with pitchforks? Yes. Bring on the mob.

TRU has to get an exclusive or two out of the deal, so maybe we'll see angry villagers mixed in with their assortment. Of course, that begs the question of whether they would be in black and white or in color.

Odd that they'd have a line planned out all the way into 2012. Halloween would be when they'd get the most mileage from monsters, but I can see where it would be frustrating to have to wait 2 years if you were only interested in Dracula, and hope that the line doesn't flounder before then.

If it pans out, I wonder if we'll see other lines do this:

"Continue to support Marvel Minimates and we'll release Kang and Jubilee in 2027!"

"Buy all the civilian clothed variants and all the secondary characters from the movies, and we'll give you a GB1 Janine on the 25th anniversary of Ghost Busters 3!"

Glorious gods of old!!! Mech Suits! I'm, I'm.... I'm trying hard to not hyperventilate.

The Father's Day kids look freaky, because they have the same head/body ratio as their adult counterparts. Their heads should be relatively larger. Now DST can remake Lord of the Rings, with tiny little 1.5" hobbits. heh

Did I mention the Mechs have me stoked? So much power armor (MAX Mechs, Iron Man drones, Iron Man himself and his armored enemies, Halo) goodness this year, don't know what I'll do. The Mechs carry a different feel than Ma.K, because the 'Mate fits into a cockpit space, but they will still look good alongside the Ma.Kub Kubricks.

Looks like DST are really pushing the unlicensed stuff, which is good to see as we as a fandom have been clamouring for this kinda thing for years. Firefighters, SWAT team, pirates - it's worked for LEGO and other companies for a long time. I am really liking most of the new offerings but the mechs leave me cold for some reason.

No clue. Though it appears some of the DST booth photos may have gotten mixed up with some from the Playmates booth. That... whale thing must be from a completely unrelated license. :confused:

I have my doubts that we'll see all of those Ghost Busters released though. We've gone through most of the memorable ghosts from the movies, which means that the civilian GBs would have to be paired with either rereleases or lesser known ghosts, neither of which will really help them fly off shelves. If they had the slime tank variants for Ray and Winston, they might appeal more, but there isn't so much as a PKE meter amongst what is on display, so I don't see them attracting a lot of interest in continuing the line.

Well in the concept art behind them, I niticed that Library Venkman has a video camera. So perhaps it's going to join them and isn't quite made yet.

If they're doing the library versions, could it be possible that we get inhumanly symmetrical stacks of books?

Been out of the loop a few days.. Huge news at Toy Fair!! Lots of fun stuff.. I'll have to take some time tonight and scroll all of the pictures more carefully.

Wouldn't it be crazy if minimates evolve into a household name?!?! It would be crazy to jump 10 years ahead and see minimates on par with Lego or Playmobile with their pirates and fire-fighters sets. I know that is a long shot.. but just a funny thought.