UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Toy Fair 2010 thread

Okay, I know we're all sitting here flipping through the CTR photos, refreshing this page and replying, right? And we've all seen the Heroes and Pirates sets. Pirates, Firefighters and SWAT. With all the funky vehicles. 4 Minimates. Signs that say $7.99. Is that $8 for the 4 MMs AND the vehicles?! Because that's awesome! It also shows how much the Marvel license really is.

I think it's for the sets, because if you look at the Iron Man 2 movie 'mates, it says 7.99 in front of it. I think it's just how much each pack will be. So maybe it's a vehicle and 1 mate or the whole thing. I was curious of that as well.

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those Universal Monsters look fantastic, but I'm still not sold on that Gillman head. The brow just looks too big and wide. Other than that, those are great!

Seeing all of them already completed, it's hard for me to believe they're going to release these annually.

The Iron Man sets look spectacular! I can't believe we're getting a Dreadnought, much less a Stilt Man and the classic corny awesome Mandarin costume!

All the minimates are great, the vehicles... some are neat. They all look good, but I don't know how into them I really am. The figures they come with are nicely sculpted. And... are those Ghostbusters going to come with any ghosts?

One note on the vehicles for the non-licensed sets -- they're designed to be semi-modular. That jet pack is actually formed from popping the wings and the center connector off the double-cockpit jet and pegging them together. It looked neat.

Now sleep!

...which is wonderful news to me. I'm seeing a (while tiny) BSG Raptor custom possibility in that firefighter copter; something about the angles and that cockpit...hmmm. Hell, if that Galileo Shuttle can accommodate four Minimates, then give me a dang Raptor with semi-proper propotions. Yeah, I know I'm pegando los caballos muerte, but it (and those SWAT 'mates resemblance to Colonial Marines) just got me riled! :blush:

Truly cool stuff coming though. Universal Monsters, Marvel 36, etc., etc. There's alot of great stuff in store if we can just get the retailers to agree.

Sleep well sweet prince; you deserve it!

Wow the non-licensed sets are a nice surprise, maybe if the make it to regular retail the'll increase the availablity of the other licensed sets.

Never thought i'd be so excited to see a stiltman 'mate he looks brilliant!

With those mini Minimates maybe now Luke can make an Armor custom :D

I'm really impressed with the diversity of new licenses, sadly I won't be able to buy them. I wonder how they're going to put together Mandarin when it looks like he has very little articulation. Silver Centurion and the new baddies look great, and I'm sure hall of armor completists will welcome the new Iron Man. Who is that crazy looking guy with the M on his chest?

If they keep the current mask for Stiltman, with the white in the eye holes, I hope they do the Dark Avengers Hawkeye again the way it was meant to be.

what I liked:

-Comic Iron Man Minimates

-Pirates

-Universal Monsters

-Tarot (they look interesting in my opinion)

-Ghostbusters boxset 4 (I'll take 2!)

-bet the JLU Kandor would work with minimate Superman...

what I'm 'meh' about:

-unlicensed rescue minimates (if they really are $7.99 they're cool, if they're $17.99 they're a pass)

-those mech-suits (they look silly, I like them, but I don't know if I want them)

-the licensed vehicles (still not sold on the look)

what I don't like:

-That I still don't know if Mark 4 or 5 Iron-Man has a "sunglasses Tony" under the hood like the pictures from the donut shop.

-NEXT YEAR FRANKENSTEIN?!?! NOOOOO

-TWO YEARS UNTIL DRACULA?!?!?! NOOOOOOOOO

(however, my future mother-in-law is a geek like me and I've been giving her Star Trek/Movie Wolverine minimates for Christmas since she's into those franchises.... so since she's into Universal Monsters at least them being spread out means I've got the next 3 Christmases covered.)

....question!

Why is this: http://toyfair10.asmzine.com/gallery/diamo...s/IMG_4608.html in the DST folder?

Are they making luchadore figures?! If so, I demand El Santo and Blue Demon minimates to fight the Wolfman and Frankenstein please.

Imagine you're off for a few days, come back to the 'verse and people suddenly talking about stuff like "Stilt-Man", "Firefighters" and "Pirates". You know what you would think, right? Oh, sorry, wrong Multiverse, wanted to go to the Minimates stuff you know and not the stuff that you have... wait! OMG!

I really like the new comic Iron Man armor! Those pirates have awesome new parts - and I can already see Jack Sparrow being customized there - and Invisible Man and the Mummy are brilliant. Really cool news! Woohoo!

____

Edit: Just realized that this ghost pirtae guy has a beard! A real beard!!!

Edited by Bob Harris

1.25" scale Minimates? That alone makes the Father's Day set a must-buy for me. (Hello, Puck custom).

And the fishing rod and hat. I've got plans for that as well.

So much news & new stuff... I'ts going to take me a while to process everything.

Also, can I be added to the "Desperately Begging For the Battle Beast Giveaway" list? Thanks.

MINI-MYTE,you knew didnt you?who did you get the info?i knew your signature smelt fishy..........

Don't look at me! It's the smoking monkey I tell you! He says things... evil things. Sometimes he goes on and on and on about the future. It... scares me. :( I don't want to talk about him any more.

(whispers) -He's watching me right now... :unsure:

Onto Toy fair:

• Anybody else notice that the wave 36 Iron Men armors look "vac-metalized"? That's a first. Haven't seen that on a figure since the Toybiz IM action figures of the 90's. I hope this feature makes it past the prototype stage.
  • Variant Mandarin has no rings. Strange.
  • The MAX firefighters and SWAT team are off the hook. Looks like the SWAT guy standing in the vehichles is a kit bashed mate with Blackhawk's cap and the unreleased PX exclusive Jack Bauer BP vest.
  • The Father's Day mates are a real surprise! I'm loving those 1.25" mates. Doubt they'll be as articulated as their bigger counterparts. Hope I'm wrong though.
  • Galileo shuttle rocks. Glad to see ST isn't dead and buried yet. Where's our ST bridge set DST?
  • The MAX mech suits are kinda "MEH" for me.
  • The Universal Monsters are the total gems of the show. The details alone on Imotep's sarcophagus takes my breath away. I could do without the partially transformed Larry Talbot. I'd of rather had Bela or Maleva the gypsy in that fourth slot.
  • And doesn't it just pain you to see the Sept '11 card attached to the Mummy, Frankenstein and Invisible Man sets, let alone the Sept '12 on Darcula? Waiting sure does suck.
  • The civilian GBs are a great addition to the line especially the blue labcoat GBs from their TV commercial. Notice the control art behind them? Hopefully they will come equiped with all that scientific gear. Fingers crossed.
  • The Piratemates look great, but don't y'all think they are a tad over detailed? The ship is a definite downer. Luckily, I have a Megablocks one I meant to use for a custom project that never saw the light of day.
Question: Is the TF giveaway mate the same crocodilde BB that we'll be getting in the lab playset only with a different paint job?

Edited by MINI_MYTE

I think the Max suits would be cooler if they were smaller, similar to the Ma. K. suits on the Kubricks. Fitting the entire Minimate inside to where you can't see any part of them instead their head (instead of, say, putting gun attachments on their arms and a clunky exoskeleton shell over their head and torso--possibly with a clear visor to see their face inside) takes away from the coolness.

Still, when you are aiming at kids, I think what they are doing makes the most sense.

--edit: just noticed the mini-Jaws of Life. Pretty neat.

Edited by karamazov80

I think I came to a crossroads I can either go broke or I am going to have to give up collecting some other huge part of my collecting so that I can obtain all of this amazingness!

1. I must somehow get that Battle Beast giveaway!

2. The shuttlecraft is that coolest of the cool, I can live without any other vehicle things as long as I get that.

3. New vehicle stuff is cool but ultimately I just want the minimates and not so much the vehicles but the Pirate ship is cool.

4. Universal monsters look really interesting.

5. Father's Day minimates what in the world?

6. Wave 36 is the greatest news there! I can't wait to get a Mandarin finally (although I hope the cloak isn't a one piece thing that makes the rest of the minimate immovable)

What a great bunch of news man oh man they weren't kidding when they said that even though last year was the year of the minimate that this year would be even bigger!

Take a day offline to celebrate V-day and my B-day with the wife and of course THAT'S when the news goes from famine to feast. Ain't it always the way.

-Wave 36 makes me smile. The "neo-classic" is one of my favorite armors am thrilled to see it included. Throw in Mandarin, the Dynamo, some Dreadnoughts, and... Stilt Man? Really? I know there's some question about the size, but to my understanding it's the base minimate that can't be bigger than 2". They apparently have a pretty wide birth on what add ons they can put on the mate to make it bigger, like duck feet and waist extendors, PH chest, etc. Think of them as exterme duck feet. Do feel for Ivan though. Maybe you could do a standard sized picture of just the feet. And a new Silver Centurion... with much better Tony face underneath and, gasp, hair. I wonder if that's going to make the price of the old one go up or down since I still need that Mk I armor... hmm... Now bring on the Hall of Armors (Space, Stealth, Undersea, and HulkBuster) SDCC boxed set and all will be well.

-TBT, that looks like the MkV armor they've been trying their best to bakcout and hide all this time in that baggie. Coin flip whether they ask that pic be pulled or get the go ahead or show it before the week's done.

-Universal Monsters... most look pretty cool. Not sure why you'd get the UM liscense, and make a Dracula that doesn't look like Lugosi, but that's just me.

-Pirates... fun. Not my personal cup of tea, but they look pretty neat.

-Excited to see the MAX stuff and the civilian mates. For pure economic reasons, I've stuck only with the comics based mates. For these, I will probably make an exception. Time to see if I can get a job delivering Pizza's to support my minimate habit.

-And one last thought... can we get those posters somewhere? I would love that new Marvel Mate poster.

So, how come so many things say they'll be released in December 2010?

Probably to have the product on the shelves at TRU when everyone is Christmas shopping. Well, that would be the smart thing to do.

Very awesome waking up to see all this cool stuff!

Marvel Wave 36 rocks! Classic Mandarin is awesome, and Stilt Man takes the cake.

I'm surprised how good the Spiderman boxed set looks! A must buy for me.

Pirates, Firemen, and SWAT guys are very unexpected, and very welcomed. Gotta wonder, where would these be located in TRU? All the non-licensed stuff like that is by the LEGO right?

And then there's the not-so-cool stuff too. :D

Tarot Witch. Sorry, but I don't want my minimates to have

haunted vaginas

. <_<

GB Wave 4. These seem too much like fillers or even quick customs to actually devote a whole wave too. Unless they pair up each guy with a new ghost, it's a pass for me.

Having to wait MORE THAN TWO YEARS to get all the Universal Monsters shown. Bad decision DST, baaad decision. Seriously, why even show us now?

And Father's Day? Eh, this won't end well. As long as it gets me some President's Day minimates, i'll buy 'em. Maybe for my custom series "Holiday Heroes".

-Universal Monsters... most look pretty cool. Not sure why you'd get the UM liscense, and make a Dracula that doesn't look like Lugosi, but that's just me.

Yeah that does bother me. Unless they change it to look like Lugosi, I'm not getting it. Dang... At least have his fangs showing.

Hey wait... I just noticed... In this pic... The modern Mandarin has FINGERS!

First Thanos, now Mandarin.

Oh dear oh dear oh dear.

Yeah that does bother me. Unless they change it to look like Lugosi, I'm not getting it. Dang... At least have his fangs showing.

If I remember correctly, it has nothing to do with Universal, but rather Lugosi's estate. Back when Sideshow did there 6" line of Universal Monsters, Dracula and Ygor weren't produced right away as Sideshow had to get permission from Lugosi's family to use his likeness. A lot of Universal Dracula action figures were made over the years, but they all had a very generic look to them. The Lugosi Darcula and Ygor were the first of their kind because the actually looked like the actor. Maybe the likeness restriction applies to this minimate. I guess DST would be the one to know for sure.

Oh dear oh dear oh dear.

Well he does have 10 rings after all. I'm just curious as to why his variant doesn't have ANY rings.

Edited by MINI_MYTE

Oh dear oh dear oh dear.

Well he does have 10 rings after all. I'm just curious as to why his variant doesn't have ANY rings.

Are we sure those aren't Thanos' hands?

Thanks had fists didn't he? With the Gauntlet? Yeah. So Mandarin has open hands.