UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Toy Fair 2010 thread

EDIT: What?! How can they do Stilt Man?! 2 inches people! 2 inches!

Two-inch scale, you mean. From the looks of him I'd say he's still pretty compatible with the rest of the line... which means I can give somebody else stilts just for kicks and giggles! Oh, Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaade...

Of course, if you're asking how they're gonna fit the stilts in the box, well... huh, that is a good question :confused:

In other news: Firemen! Cops! Mechas! Mini pirate ships! Tarot! Trek's not dead!

I'd say this was a pretty satisfying set of updates so far.

No, 2" height restriction period, with minimal, explicit exceptions. leader for example. That's the reason there isn't a 2.5" Hulk. He'd still be 2" scale, but he would go over Marvel's 2" height limitations. "Judge me because of my size do you?" Well, apparently Marvel does, yeah.

Okay, I know we're all sitting here flipping through the CTR photos, refreshing this page and replying, right? And we've all seen the Heroes and Pirates sets. Pirates, Firefighters and SWAT. With all the funky vehicles. 4 Minimates. Signs that say $7.99. Is that $8 for the 4 MMs AND the vehicles?! Because that's awesome! It also shows how much the Marvel license really is.

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh my... wave 36!

Makes me very happy... I'd heard rumors that we were getting more comic based IM minimates but a whole wave... :) ( No hulk buster though? perhaps as a TRU exclusive?)

Monster sets... all look good but the Mummy & Frankenstien sets are a win for me!

Pirates look fun but the pirate ship is just silly at that scale!

"Heroes/max sets" Look like nice figs, but am not sold on the vehicles. -the robots will please BHM too with their MachinenKriegerishness.

Ghostbusters... Ouch too many civvies, is this DST doing the usual 'one wave too far' and killing a license?

All in all it looks like DST have listened to us and have decided to try some unlicensed minimates!

T.

p.s. Did I mention how happy I am for that wave 36? :D

Hell, I'll buy the civilian Ghostbusters, but those are bland choices. (my token gripe)

BUT, everything else looks *spectacular*. Could the Galileo mean that DST is testing the waters for more Star Trek 'mates? 'Cause I really hope that answer's 'yes'.

Very much liking the unlicensed mates. And really I think Ghostbusters boxset 4/half of TRU wave 4 is pretty good, nice work on AA too combine the civilian busters with their commercial outfits.

OMG OMG OMG 'DARTH VADER MARTY' COMES WITH A VIDEO CAMERA!

http://www.cooltoyreview.com/TF2010/DST/image74.asp

these robot suits look cool!

http://www.cooltoyreview.com/TF2010/DST/image65.asp

Overall,Today was a HUGE day for MiniMates and I really hope that toys r us canada will get all the new vechiles and minimates.Can't wait to see what they show tommorow!

Overall,Today was a HUGE day for MiniMates and I really hope that toys r us canada will get all the new vechiles and minimates.Can't wait to see what they show tommorow!

wait they are going to show more tomorrow???

freaking awesome

The Stilt Man stilts look to be able to come apart, which means you could probably give him one comically long leg. I suspect that he'll have a normal length set of legs as well. This could probably skirt the height restriction in the same way that the flight stands don't count towards height. If you look at the feet, they serve as a base. Besides, it could be that the Marvel license has changed, and its the self imposed 2" rule that is keeping things in scale.

I suspect we won't see all of those Ghost Busters released though. Certainly not without some good ghosts accompanying them.

And I'd love to see more Star Trek, but I've about had my fill of the original series. Would it have killed them to throw a TNG shuttlecraft and Data? Still, I guess with the new movie, TOS is where the attention lies.

wait they are going to show more tomorrow???

freaking awesome

Well I think they will show more....

The Stilt Man stilts look to be able to come apart, which means you could probably give him one comically long leg. I suspect that he'll have a normal length set of legs as well. This could probably skirt the height restriction in the same way that the flight stands don't count towards height. If you look at the feet, they serve as a base. Besides, it could be that the Marvel license has changed, and its the self imposed 2" rule that is keeping things in scale.

I suspect we won't see all of those Ghost Busters released though. Certainly not without some good ghosts accompanying them.

And I'd love to see more Star Trek, but I've about had my fill of the original series. Would it have killed them to throw a TNG shuttlecraft and Data? Still, I guess with the new movie, TOS is where the attention lies.

More likely I think he'll have 'normal' legs and a set of slightly longer 'stilt' legs that you can buy OTHER Stild Man sets to make really long legs. Speculation, but still. If the Marvel License changed, we'd know. There's enough ears to the ground here to hear a pill bug in a mess of manure.

Partially Boycotted. :P

I want those Elite Heroes sets to sell, you hear me? SELL!!! No C3 Batman Begins I can live with. No Godfather or Beverly Hills Cop I can live with. But PLEASE let these push through and maybe I'll forgive Street Fighter, Doctor Who and DC minimates going down the toilet.

Tarot: Witch of the Black Rose. VERY NSFW comic property. It was first scooped in the Future Licenses forum. Much mud-slinging ensued. :ermm:

In other news:

- I think I might have Stilt Man's legs figured out: they appear to be stackable assembled tubes or something.

- Isn't it cool how DST keeps finding new and creative ways to reuse old parts? The SWAT heroes look like thy've got some Platoon and unreleased 24 on 'em.

- I L-O-V-E the firefighters accessories. Razor saw? Jaws of life? Non-exclusive stretcher? Helicopter? Yes, please!

- Mecha-glider is neato.

- And... mechas, people! Don't you realize how insane that is?! :woot:

- I actually kinda like the li'l kiddie ship. :P

- Why is civilian Dana's hair still in possessed-by-Zuul mode? :huh:

- Yeah... that Egyptian mini-sarcophagus is just awesome.

I can't believe we are getting Stilt Man!

My favorite Stilt Man moment is in a comic where The Thing was in a terrible mood, and he pushes over what he thinks is a lamp post, and it is actually Stilt Man, who had just robbed a bank and was trying to get away. :lol:

Also it needs to be said that Stilt Man's height is directly proportional to his awesomeness. I am going to need at least 3 of him to be able to build up a truly awesome Stilt Man...

Did I mention that I like Stilt Man? :D

AHHH! YEHAHA! Star Trek is ALIVEEEEEE!!! Battle Damaged Spock or no Battle Damaged Spock, it's still ALIVE!!!

As for the rest of this:

Now that I see the Dracula set I am no longer excited for it. I probably would be more excited if they had Dracula standing and not headles and lying down. Same could really be said for Frankenstein but I'll probably get him for the monster and not anyone else (Bride included. I never was a Bride fan). However I absolutely LOVE the Mummy and I will be getting the B/W of him. I will be getting the B/W of the Wolfman, and I will be getting the B/W versions of Creature from the Black Lagoon.

But the absolute standout in adorable insanity is definately The Invisible Man. Oh. My. God. I geeked out at him. I absolutely did. However as he's alone, I wonder what he'll be exclusive to. No matter, he will be mine. Hopefully in a Black and White version. Gotta wonder though, what IS that blue thing behind him?

Seriously though, the Black and White ones are probably going to be more fun! I can see that with The Mummy. I wish they had the B/W versions of the others around!

Iron Man's comic wave I can very easily do without in the wake of the Universal Monsters. And those civvie mates, well, I have never been pulling too much for those. Sure it's nice. However I won't be getting them.

My Ghostbusters collection is complete. The end. No question about it. Once I get Viggo, I'm done.

The Spider-Man set... eh. I like my QC version of The Vulture. I'll stick with him and my Ock. They're basically the Ultimate versions, and I do Ultimate.

Still have to wonder WTF on that yellow Gillman. barely looks like the Revenge Gillman. If they're to do another, they should do The Creature Walks Among Us.

Edited by Trekker 42

I want those Elite Heroes sets to sell, you hear me? SELL!!!

I am going to buy as many as I can get my hands on. Although I am curious to see what faces they end up there are a couple in those pictures that are a little recognizable. Thanks DST for finally making non licensed minimates. They are awesome.

Folks... Also...

Take a peek at the bag of parts behind the Bird of prey in this image

Is that a set of Movie-esq IM legs with silver paint on them?

Thoughts?

T.

p.s. I bet DST gets that image pulled before the show is over...

Oh God...the Armor IS real...jesus...

DST, PLEASE pull the image. I don't want to see that garbage.

Probably nothing new here, but we've got pics too!

http://toyfair10.asmzine.com/gallery/diamond-select-toys/

(Toy Fair giveaway was the Battle Beasts crocodile. This may have already been reported, in which case I apologize.)

Thanks Daniel, some nice pix there with some different shots/angles we haven't seen yet...

Whats with the worlds greatest dad/ duel scale minimates?

Any chance of pix of the giveaway?

T.

Jesus. Sensory overload! Gonna be a great year or so for 'Mates, for sure. Like everyone else, I think the Stiltman is the best thing shown, but am excited with nearly everything we are seeing here (with possible exception of the Tarot guys).

I'm really digging the Mummy w/tomb and the rest of the Universal Monsters--they look much better up close than they did in the smaller picture of course, and "We're Ready to Believe You" Ghostbusters (I know that others will find them boring, but that's such a memorable scene--I'm excited about it). Also liking the "CLAW"-like vehicle that the one MAX guy has.

http://yojoe.com/vehicles/84/claw/claw_box.shtml

http://www.cooltoyreview.com/TF2010/DST/image66.asp

I'm loving the apparent GI Joe-inspired nods.

Sucks about Battle Beast being a give-away, though. I hope he still comes with that diorama thing.

-the robots will please BHM too with their MachinenKriegerishness.

I was thinking the same thing :D I actually really dig the suits there, but fear that all these vehicles and things will be taking up too much space. One major virtue of Minimates, for me, is their small size. But I'm sure the kiddies will like them, anyway.