UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Should there be an updated Fantastic Four released?

groundhog7s

Should there be an updated Fantastic Four released?  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Fantastic Four receive a Minimate makeover?

• Yes, they need it.
    • No, the original releases are fine.

I like The Human Torch but I would like a modern translucence one a bit like the SHS figure.

http://media.photobucket.com/image/super%2...0figs/Mega2.jpg

Apart from maybe a translucent "4" tampo on his chest, what else would you be looking for beyond the Invaders version?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apart from maybe a translucent "4" tampo on his chest, what else would you be looking for beyond the Invaders version?

I'm not minifeind, but: Red translucent plastic. Bright yellow flame accessories. Old school black lines on his body. Yellow eyes and mouth.

I'd love to see an updated wave, if nothing else for Doombot army builders. However in general I think the Fantastic Four would benefit a lot from the update. They could create a Johnny Storm mate with interchangeable parts to turn him into the Human Tourch, and maybe even a Ben Grimm mate that can switch between Ben and the Thin, perhaps with the un-used Secret War design (it's late so my brain is goo at the mo :P).

I've never understood why he would be translucent, though. He covers himself with flame - he doesn't turn into it. :huh:

I agree with this guy, I think transluscent plastic is often gimmicky and mis-used on the wrong characters.

I like it on characters like Iceman, Invisible Woman, Hydro Man or Emma Frost, who literally transform into a see-through material. Clear Plastic is well used on these guys.

I hate it, however, on characters who are merely supposed to be glowing or coated in something transluscent, like Gamma Hulk, Radioactive Man, Human Torch or 1st Appearance Iceman. (Iceman originally just coated himself in snow and ice, similar to Human Torch. It wasn't until later that he refined the use of his powers to actually transform himself into ice.) None of these figures should be see-through, really... They glow and shine... they don't turn transparent... should Silver Surfer be clear grey plastic? No.

Another figure I don't like it on is Powerhouse Sandman. Granted, he's made of sand, so as he "flows" you might be able to see through him... in theory, but I just think it looks poor in this particular figure. He looks like he's made of maple syrup, not sand. The solid sand they used on the movie sandman looks much better, imo.

The figure I absolutely HATE it on is Shadowcat, from the Astonishing X-Men wave. While her power is to seperate her molecules and become intangible, I never once remember her molecules becoming so seperated that she began to fade into invisibility and nothingness... why her hands and feet are clear is absolutely beyond me...

I'm a little iffy about Vision though. On the one hand, I kindof feel the same as I do about kitty... he's not turning invisible, he's turning intangible... but on the other hand, I have seen artists depict him as "see-through" when using his powers, so it's a little more forgivable in his case... Kitty however, I've never seen use her powers to turn invisible.

But all and all, like I started off saying, I think clear plastic is over-used.

I'd love to see an updated wave, if nothing else for Doombot army builders. However in general I think the Fantastic Four would benefit a lot from the update. They could create a Johnny Storm mate with interchangeable parts to turn him into the Human Tourch, and maybe even a Ben Grimm mate that can switch between Ben and the Thin, perhaps with the un-used Secret War design (it's late so my brain is goo at the mo :P).

For Thing I think it could work. If he had pants on, you could remove his powerhouse chest for a normal human chest, and then all he'd need is a head swap and arm swap, which we've seen on many mates before.

For Torch however, I don't think they'd do it. He changes from a caucasian guy in a blue jumpsuit to a completely red guy. I can't see any of his parts working on both forms, since he changes from head to toe, which in essence, equates to a complete second minimate, not just extra parts.

Edited by Gillbob316

Well, I'm all for giving the FF fans new versions if they want them, but I'm just fine with the four that I have already. I paid quite a bit to get the completely invisible Susan variant. It would give me a rest and help my pocket book...unless they do something evil and put each FF member with a new villain like Annihilus & then I'd end up getting them again anyway.

Yeah, I agree on translucency, it would be a bit weird on a Johnny mate. It only made sense on the WW2 Human Torch because they used it to kind of recreate the Alex Ross "glowing" look from Marvels.

I also would've loved SA Iceman to be solid white. As you say, he was basically a walking snowman back then. Even for a modern Iceman, I think light blue details on a white blank would look great.

Edited by battlecat

The figure I absolutely HATE it on is Shadowcat, from the Astonishing X-Men wave. While her power is to seperate her molecules and become intangible, I never once remember her molecules becoming so seperated that she began to fade into invisibility and nothingness... why her hands and feet are clear is absolutely beyond me...

She has, on occasion, been depicted as turning partly see-through when phasing . . .

post-2737-1264935625_thumb.jpg

But only very rarely. And i don't think it EVER happened during the Astonishing X-Men run. What REALY bugged me about the AXM Shadowcat was her hair. She almost always wore her hair pulled back into a tight pony-tail when she was in costume. And when her hair was out . . . it wasn't styled in the manner of a circa 10970's Farrah Fawcett!

(Lets face it though - half of that wave was a write-off!)

She has, on occasion, been depicted as turning partly see-through when phasing . . .

post-2737-1264935625_thumb.jpg

But only very rarely. And i don't think it EVER happened during the Astonishing X-Men run. What REALY bugged me about the AXM Shadowcat was her hair. She almost always wore her hair pulled back into a tight pony-tail when she was in costume. And when her hair was out . . . it wasn't styled in the manner of a circa 10970's Farrah Fawcett!

(Lets face it though - half of that wave was a write-off!)

Even in that picture though, it's more artistic style than her actually turning transparent. Her feet do seem to be fading away, but only in the area she's passing through. I mean, if the minimate were applied to that painting, her hands would be invisible... she'd look like Phantom Limb from the Venture Brothers....

And yeah, more often than not (and definately in astonishing) her phasing is drawn with a clean line.

In any event, I still don't like it, lol. The hair bothered me less, but you do make good points.

None of the Astonishing figures turned out as good as they could have, really... since it was a "Parts Re-Use" wave... Some were better than others, Cyclops and Colossus weren't that bad, but they all had room for improvement... Beast was the worst, imo... And Wolverine could sorely have used a mask...

(Speaking of Wolverine's mask, am I the only person who can't stand that none of the yellows and blues on ANY two Wolverines match? I'd love to mix and match parts from some of them, but none look right together. They need to pick a yellow/blue combo and stick with it for him. I personally think Secret Invasion Wolverine had the best ones. And Zombie Wolverine was definately the worst... he was friggin' Orange...)